• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Country of Birth International XVs

Yeah, it just feels like Pichot posted it purely because Argentina come out looking like saints. Problem is, there's no context whatsoever. I doubt Argentina has a huge immigration figure in comparison to many other nations on the list. They've also only got the one, very recently created (and wholly geared-up to provide the national side, thus packed with Argentinian players), professional club, so you're not going to have players moving there to play their trade unlike in moast other nations.

It's also important to understand the the UK countries especially are so close to one another that there's massive movement of people between countries for work or education reasons (more so from Wales/Scotland/Ireland into England than the other way round), so you're going to have children born in a different country than they identify with for this reason (e.g. North, JD2 for Wales etc.). My son was born in Lincoln whilst we were in university there, and we moved back to Wales before he was 6 months old. Does that make him English?

England has massively multicultural centres such as London. PI families move to NZ/Aus for work and better prospects. People move to Aus for the weather and lifestyle. There are just so many reasons....

Actually, Argentina does have many immigrants and their recent descendants, but they are mostly from European and Latin American countries where rugby is minor or even non-existent.

Los Estados Unidos
Coach: Ronan O'Gara
1. ***i Lamositele
2. Joe Taufete'e
3. Dino Waldren
4. Samu Manoa
5. Cam Dolan
6. Sam Underhill
7. David Tameilau
8. Jerome Kaino
9. Nate Augspurger
10. LOL... probably O'Gara we have no one
11. Chris Wyles (he played last week)
12. Bryce Campbell
13. Gannon Moore
14. Tommy Seymour
15. Blaine Scully

Los Estados Unidos
Coach: Ronan O'Gara
1. ***i Lamositele
2. Joe Taufete'e
3. Dino Waldren
4. Samu Manoa
5. Cam Dolan
6. Sam Underhill
7. David Tameilau
8. Jerome Kaino
9. Nate Augspurger
10. LOL... probably O'Gara we have no one
11. Chris Wyles (he played last week)
12. Bryce Campbell
13. Gannon Moore
14. Tommy Seymour
15. Blaine Scully

I got a huge kick out of the image of a 41 year old Ronan O'Gara running out against Ireland on Saturday, preferably as the opposition coach as well. It'd keep the O'Gara/Sexton rivalry turning over!

Seriously though he's just another example of how ridiculous this focus on where you.were born is.

Latest posts