• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Country vs City (NSW Origin)

TRF_melon

Country Flag
Australia
Club or Nation
Thor
This year's installment of NSW Origin, Country vs City, will be played at Glen Willow Oval in Mudgee on Sunday at 3:00pm.

The usual arguments are being had about whether this fixture is relevant for it's intended purpose are going on but we won't really know if the game has infact served it's main purpose of being a trial for the NSW State of Origin team until the team is announced.

It looks as if Danny Buderus won't be playing, however count on him being named in the NSW team regardless, as well as Paul Gallen who is lining up for Australia on Friday night.

I'll be most interested in the performance of the halves. Whilst Jarryd Hayne is lining up for City at five-eighth its most likely that he'll be picked at fullback for NSW. The real battle will be between Mitchell Pearce (City #7) and the halves pairing for Country of Todd Carney (#6) and Jarrod Mullen (#7). Two spots. Three Contenders.

Team Lists

[TABLE="width: 712"]
[TR]
[TD]Country
[/TD]
[TD]City
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]1. Brett Morris (St George Illawarra Dragons)[/TD]
[TD]1. Lachlan Coote (Penrith Panthers)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2. James McManus (Newcastle Knights)[/TD]
[TD]2. David Williams (Manly Warringah Sea Eagles)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]3.Josh Morris (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)[/TD]
[TD]3. Joseph Leilua (Sydney Roosters)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]4. Matt King (South Sydney Rabbitohs)[/TD]
[TD]4. Chris Lawrence (Wests Tigers)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]5. Blake Ferguson (Canberra Raiders)[/TD]
[TD]5. Steve Turner (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]6. Todd Carney (Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks)[/TD]
[TD]6. Jarryd Hayne (Parramatta Eels)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]7. Jarrod Mullen (Newcastle Knights)[/TD]
[TD]7. Mitchell Pearce (Sydney Roosters)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] 8. Luke Douglas (Gold Coast ***ans)[/TD]
[TD]8. Keith Galloway (Wests Tigers)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]9. Ryan Hinchcliffe (Melbourne Storm)[/TD]
[TD]9. Robbie Farah (Wests Tigers)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]10. Michael Weyman (St George Illawarra Dragons)[/TD]
[TD]10.Tim Mannah (Parramatta Eels)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]11. Beau Scott (St George Illawarra Dragons)[/TD]
[TD]11. Ryan Hoffman (Melbourne Storm)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]12. Ben Creagh (St George Illawarra Dragons)[/TD]
[TD]12. Corey Payne (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]13. Greg Bird (Gold Coast ***ans)[/TD]
[TD]13. Feleti Mateo (New Zealand Warriors)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Interchange[/TD]
[TD]Interchange[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]14. Tom Learoyd-Lahrs (Canberra Raiders)[/TD]
[TD]14. Aaron Woods (Wests Tigers)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]15. Trent Merrin (St George Illawarra Dragons)[/TD]
[TD]15. Jason King (Manly Warringah Sea Eagles)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]16. Tariq Sims (North Queensland Cowboys)[/TD]
[TD]16. Jamie Buhrer (Manly Warringah Sea Eagles)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]17. Chris Houston (Newcastle Knights)[/TD]
[TD]17. Liam Fulton (Wests Tigers)[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

I've always enjoyed the fixture I really like the concept and I'm glad they'e kept it around as even a trial game for State of Origin, Go Country!!!!(goodness knows adopting it in Ice Hockey here in Ontario eg.Toronto vs. Rest of province. would be absolutely awesome.)

When is the State of Origin NSW team going to be announced Melon?

When is the State of Origin NSW team going to be announced Melon?

As far as I'm aware there isn't a set date, however an announcement should be made in the third week of may considering the game is the week after (23rd May).

Bit of an odd question, but do you know if Robbie Farah is related to Ben Farah?
He had a good season for Catalans last season.

Never been as big into City vs Country as State of Origin, but should be a good match.

Have NSW got any chance of winning the origin series this year? Also, why does Ben Barba get to play Queensland origin when he's from Darwin?

Barba played junior rugby league in Queensland.
I always thought it was where you played pro-RL first that decided though, rather than age-grade.

Have NSW got any chance of winning the origin series this year?

I don't watch a lot of league, but NSW look decent this year, as always we have a weaker halves combination though. This could well be the year but it's hard to bet against Smith/Thurston/Slater in any team.

It could probably go 2-1 either way.

Also, why does Ben Barba get to play Queensland origin when he's from Darwin?

Found this blog outlining the rules: http://www.timholland.com/2009/07/why-does-greg-inglis-still-play-for.html

I
gnoring the Inglis debate (which is a one off case), you play for the state you played junior footy in.

Last edited:
Bit of an odd question, but do you know if Robbie Farah is related to Ben Farah?
He had a good season for Catalans last season.

Nope, don't think so. Different spellings and different background.

Just watched this one a good game Country took way too long to get their butts into the game though and what would have been a great comeback fell just a couple of points short with a 24-22 final in favour of City. Looked like a good crowd out to and more than many were expecting.

Hmmm...Robbie Farah played pretty damn well. I'm thinking Buderus no longer has a firm grasp on the #9 blue jersey. Considering also that Buderus is by no means a long term option, Farah would be the best choice looking long term.

Latest posts