• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[COVID-19] General Discussion

Definitely on under-reporting. Peeps will likely only test themselves if they get symptoms (and here we have to pay for the test kits now unless horded enough when they were free- but notice the liquid in the test kits look like they evaporate over time) and now won't report it to stop disruption to their lives - like self isolating and wearing masks.

This is what living with Covid means until deaths and hospitals start becoming overwhelmed.

I don't want to jinx things but the SH winter is so far going a lot better than I expected. If things don't get significantly worse in the (admittedly milder than Europe) SH winter by this time next month then I'll be getting optimistic we won't get any major restrictions in the NH by the time our winter comes around.

I don't want to jinx things but the SH winter is so far going a lot better than I expected. If things don't get significantly worse in the (admittedly milder than Europe) SH winter by this time next month then I'll be getting optimistic we won't get any major restrictions in the NH by the time our winter comes around.
really? where abouts are you? in melbourne we're hearing about hospitals bursting at the seams, a 4th or 5th wave with these new variants, every week i have a couple of my staff off with it and there is talk about another lockdown or at very least bringing back in mask restrictions, capacity limits etc, theyve just lowered the eligibility for 4th shot / second booster to 30 and there is a campaign to get people to have them

really? where abouts are you? in melbourne we're hearing about hospitals bursting at the seams, a 4th or 5th wave with these new variants, every week i have a couple of my staff off with it and there is talk about another lockdown or at very least bringing back in mask restrictions, capacity limits etc, theyve just lowered the eligibility for 4th shot / second booster to 30 and there is a campaign to get people to have them
Yeah. that's all pretty standard here in Europe in terms of impact, but not no suggestion of a return to major restrictions. Its pretty terrible but compared to what places outside of Australia and NZ had previously put up with prior to Omicron it is sunshine and kittens. The Australian death rate is currently significantly below what was experienced in February and to be honest I thought there was a chance of something comparable to the horrible figures in Hong Kong earlier in the year as the virus got its first look at the elderly in Aus and NZ during a winter period of little or no restrictions.

Hopefully you guys don't have some ruddy winter festival where you all pile into everyone elses house and party. That is pure rocket fuel for this virus.

I've just sat down to watch the Tour de France and hear that two of the defending champion's teammates tested positive for Covid. One has symptoms and has been sent home. The other is allowed to ride reportedly because "...his viral load is low enough that he wouldn't be considered contagious".

That's not a thing I've heard at all. Given you can be completely asymptomatic and still be contagious I think I'm detecting a whiff of horseshit.

I've just sat down to watch the Tour de France and hear that two of the defending champion's teammates tested positive for Covid. One has symptoms and has been sent home. The other is allowed to ride reportedly because "...his viral load hips considered so low that he wouldn't be contagious".

That's not a thing I've heard at all. Given you can be completely asymptomatic and still be contagious I think I'm detecting a whiff of horseshit.
The docs are always ahead of the curve on the tour to be fair

With an adult population of 56m that's 94.7% of adults in the country vaccinated - obviously 100% is better but surely that's really really good numbers?
When you put it like that yes overall England has an excellent vaccination rate. But those 3m unvaxxed adults are still more vulnerable to infection and serious disease by not being fully vaxxed and ending up in hospital.

We've also established that with waning immunity from current vaccines that Omicron BA4/5 and no doubt soon to be BA 2.75 will lead to a summer wave here. We are relying on the protection of this memory B and T cells to fend off serious illness.

When you put it like that yes overall England has an excellent vaccination rate. But those 3m unvaxxed adults are still more vulnerable to infection and serious disease by not being fully vaxxed and ending up in hospital.

We've also established that with waning immunity from current vaccines that Omicron BA4/5 and no doubt soon to be BA 2.75 will lead to a summer wave here. We are relying on the protection of this memory B and T cells to fend off serious illness.
from what little i know about how these things are effected, it will also depend on how those 3m are distributed.if they are fairly evenly distributed amoungst the vaccinated then things might be ok.....if there are large clusters, communities of unvaccinated then that is where we might see new variants grow and spread

from what little i know about how these things are effected, it will also depend on how those 3m are distributed.if they are fairly evenly distributed amoungst the vaccinated then things might be ok.....if there are large clusters, communities of unvaccinated then that is where we might see new variants grow and spread
Well with this BA5 reportedly more easily escaping immunity - post omicron BA1/2 infection and vaccine induced not sure it matters now.

Most of here had our boosters in December/January. So protection in terms of antibodies has waned probably next to zero for most peeps.

Still, unpleasant to get. I suspect I did have one of one of the BA4 or 5 sub variants few weeks ago. But without a PCR test can't know for sure.

Yep sore (burning - in my case) throat was worst one for me amongst the usual Covid symptoms.

Latest posts