• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[COVID-19] General Discussion

Supermarkets round me are just giving up now - letting way more people in that before, Tesco has removed their one way system (not that many followed it in the first place).
I'm glad they're finally making masks mandatory because going anywhere where there are other people is a ******* nightmare.

Hence the repeated specification of "worst case"

Lots of things are worst case scenario that are also completely insane...

When there is a second wave there will obviously be some form of lockdowns at the very least....
this is just fear mongering for clicks etc...

Lots of things are worst case scenario that are also completely insane...

When there is a second wave there will obviously be some form of lockdowns at the very least....
this is just fear mongering for clicks etc...
Is it? Original worse case scenarios put at 250k death worse and 20k best we are at 44,830.

Considering the perpetual botchnessed of our response I see now reason to think we won't make the exact same mistakes again (lockdown late, give mixed messages etc.). The fiasco with masks currently going on is evidence of that.

Basically if not reported what the risks are and being prepared where is the confidence we won't do an America?

Maybe we need a bit of fear mongering because a lot of people aren't taking it very seriously - if we lose 45k during spring/summer with a full lockdown then a big wave in winter will be worse, especially with so many people bored with lockdown and happy to flaunt the rules.

Maybe we need a bit of fear mongering because a lot of people aren't taking it very seriously - if we lose 45k during spring/summer with a full lockdown then a big wave in winter will be worse, especially with so many people bored with lockdown and happy to flaunt the rules.
Remember also, that (in the UK) the mortality rate in the second wave for the 1918 pandemic was 5 times higher than the first; with the third wave being 2-3 times higher.
Now, these figures are from a century ago - for a disease that was not a reportable disease; and I'm not overly familiar with what measures were put back in place after the first wave - but it's still the only respiratory pandemic to hit the modern(ish) western world; and thus the only reference point we have for future predictions.
I would expect us to deal with it better, and to learn from the mistakes of the past - but then, I expected that for the first wave too (of course, we were better; just not by as much as I expected us to be)

Considering the perpetual botchnessed of our response I see now reason to think we won't make the exact same mistakes again (lockdown late, give mixed messages etc.). The fiasco with masks currently going on is evidence of that.

The death toll figure they have reported is if the gov does absolutely nothing.

Even making the same mistakes would be a reasonable basis for the report... I don't see how reporting how it would effect an uber libertarian Britain with no government is a helpful contribution is all I'm saying?

Muzzles trending on twitter in the UK, this is why the Japanese approach won't work here.

yep fighting against the mentality of "you can't tell me what to do" is too exhausting, when there are so many who think that way.

The anti-mask thing just genuinely blows my mind - do they think they just sweep the unconscious bodies out of the subway trains in Tokyo after everyone passes out through lack of oxygen because of a thin piece of material over their mouth/nose?

107962377_3169682663101190_1447437144585593075_n.jpg

Remember also, that (in the UK) the mortality rate in the second wave for the 1918 pandemic was 5 times higher than the first; with the third wave being 2-3 times higher.
Now, these figures are from a century ago - for a disease that was not a reportable disease; and I'm not overly familiar with what measures were put back in place after the first wave - but it's still the only respiratory pandemic to hit the modern(ish) western world; and thus the only reference point we have for future predictions.
I would expect us to deal with it better, and to learn from the mistakes of the past - but then, I expected that for the first wave too (of course, we were better; just not by as much as I expected us to be)
The second wave was more deadly due to only the most seriously ill being sent home from the front. This spread the more lethal strains of the Spanish flu rather than the milder. Generally viruses should mutate to be more contagious and less lethal.

Posted a video up in the history thread on the Spanish flu. Posted it up before, but I found it quite fascinating and how it relates to today's Covid.

Desmond Swayne is clearly another graduate with honours from the Tories pompous, ignorant, selfish finishing school. Hard to believe people like that are elected representatives.

Friend of ours has just been on a trip to Spain. On landing over there his temperature was taken with fully PPE'd staff ready to whisk off anyone with a raised temperature. He also had to complete a 2 page form for contact tracing purposes. On landing back over here, nothing.

Yeh he's really losing it. Saying Obama and Biden stopped testing. What the hell is he going on about?

did anyone follow up what he thought he meant?...seems so strange to not be followed up
Most of the time Trump doesn't even know what he means. He's one of those buffoons that loves to hear himself talk and thinks he's an expert on everything. But he's usually wrong.

Last edited:
did anyone follow up what he thought he meant?...seems so strange to not be followed up

yeh I think that is the point. He will say something so pointless to distract. He said specifically that what he said with Obama and Biden "stopping Testing"probably would not be reported, when he knows because it is so bizarre that it will be. Following it up would with him would elicit a defensive response of "it's so obvious what I mean" or " you figure it out."

Latest posts