Criticism of referees

Discussion in 'General Rugby Union' started by Feicarsinn, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Feicarsinn

Feicarsinn Super Αdmin

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

I'm sure alot of you have noticed lately that referees have been getting alot of flak lately, most notably in the media. While some of this has undoubtedly justified(the breakdown and scrum have been particularly messy as of late), I find it to be a worrying trend. surely one of the ways rugby separates itself from other sports in a positive manner is through repect for the referee? I'm concerned that it may only be a matter of time before the criticism of officials moves from the commentator's box to the pitch itself. Anyone else a little worried or am I alone on this one?

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. TRF_Olyy

TRF_Olyy English Arrogance

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Sale

I agree,
    At the end of the day, the referees word is final. He's the one who's done the trainnig, learnt the rules and is enforcing them on that field. Everyones going to make mistakes every now and again, and unless they're blatantly wrong/biased then people should just accept their word.
    I agree that people shouldn't bring it up in the media (Tigers and Sarries have done this in the past) - if they feel that strongly about it then lodge a complaint, don't go crying to the newspapers.
    No use crying over spilt milk

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  4. Teh Mite

Teh Mite TRF Legend

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Northampton

Will the real Brendan Venter please stand up, please stand up, please stand up!

In honesty though, it is a growing concern with the new frequency. The consistancy and standard need improvement worldwide, but there is far too much Alex Ferguson style media rants over the past 2 seasons or so. A lot will rub off onto the fans also.

5. munstermuffin

munstermuffin Senior Member

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Munster

The main problem is the introduction of new rules been done constantly that it impossible for ref's to even know rules perfectly.
    Like the way the IRB introduced rules mid 6Nations was hard for players but the ref's had it just as tough

6. Seaton

Seaton Senior Member

Club or Nation:

Sharks

The IRB never actually introduced new rules, the referees were simply told to enforce them more strictly

However, there are some shocking refeering decisions and referees, and the only way this can be solved is to have professional referees, which means they are responsible for their decisions

7. snoopy snoopy dog dog

snoopy snoopy dog dog Senior Member

Club or Nation:

Leinster

I'm always amazed how many incredible amateur referees are wasted sitting in the stands at rugby matches. From 150 feet away, they can tell every indiscretion that's happening at any given ruck which the referee (who's standing right beside said "incident") fails to notice. I swear to God, almost everybody who sits around me in the RDs watches the ref more than the game! So quit bitching about refs unless you want to help fix the problem by becoming a referee yourself.

Brian Cody said it best in this dressing down of RTE's Marty Morrissey (skip to 2:25):

A ref goes out to do the best job he can. If a player is entitled to a few errors despite having the ball in his hands for less than two minutes a game, why can't a referee be excused a couple of mistakes when he has to be eagle-eyed to every aspect of every game?

Of course I get frustrated by some decisions (I wouldn't be a fan otherwise) but I'm not going to blame a referee for a defeat. That's down to player error like missed tackles, failure to convert pressure into points, wayward lineouts, knock ons, forward passes, poor decision making etc.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  8. TRF_Cymro

TRF_Cymro Cymro The White

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Barbarians

The problem lies with the interpretation of the laws. You will find NH and SH ref's ref the game very differently.

In my opinion the laws are there, you cannot interpret them. What the IRB needs to do is clamp down on ref's who constantly make mistakes and help guide them / put them on the right track. Of course every ref makes a mistake thats only human but the major problem is ref's interpreting the law.

9. alexrugby

alexrugby Senior Member

Country Flag:

Georgia

Club or Nation:

Georgia

Well Rugby definitely stands out from other sports with fans' unique manners, being gentleman instead of stupid hooligans

But there are times refs do things which simply make public mad

I am mostly about the facts that Lower nations are more press3ed when playing against grands

And the separate theme are Italian referees, they just prove a black is white on arena

So you will be incorrect to try to be respectful when ref does your team

10. TRF_SelimNiai

TRF_SelimNiai 'Ark at ee mun!

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Bristol

This needs to stop, as Olly says the referre is the one make the decisions and weather he is right or wrong players and coaches need to respect that. It's tough to do that though if a bad call has swayed a game but it's important to hold your tounge.

TV replays have made the refs job a lot harder as they cover so many different angles whereas the ref only has what his 2 eyes see. Rarely on TV do you hear "this replays shows the ref made a mistake but from where he was positioned he couldn't see that" or something along those lines.

11. alexrugby

alexrugby Senior Member

Country Flag:

Georgia

Club or Nation:

Georgia

rugby is far advanced compared to other sports, having video-ref advantage for match refereeing to be more precise and correct, that's unique

12. TRF_SelimNiai

TRF_SelimNiai 'Ark at ee mun!

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Bristol

Oh yeah, when used to decide tries it's fine, its the use of the replays during normal penalties like hands in ruck, crossing etc is what I meant.

13. Duckdee

Duckdee Senior Member

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Leicester

Apart from cricket.

And basketball.

And ice hockey.

14. TRF_Olyy

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Sale

And tennis (if the eagle eye thing is run by a ref, not just a computer working it out?)

15. alexrugby

alexrugby Senior Member

Country Flag:

Georgia

Club or Nation:

Georgia

:D:D:D:D wow my bright idea of rugby being unique crashed :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

16. Bargoedboy

Bargoedboy Member

Country Flag:

Wales

Refs have gone downhill ever since that muppet Obrien was put in charge , hardly a week goes by without him telling refs to PAY ATTENTION TO THIS RULE AND ENFORCE IT , they do this and forget about enforcing the game itself , the rules we have are fine they just need a ref to actually enforce the rules and with same results in south and north !

17. snoopy snoopy dog dog

snoopy snoopy dog dog Senior Member

Club or Nation:

Leinster

I really dislike Paddy O'Brien. His decision to publicly criticise Stuart Dickinson last year should have resulted in his removal from his position as head of referees.

It seems as though every other week refs are being asked to look for different things. That's of O'Brien's doing.

18. William18

William18 Senior Member

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Not criticizing rugby league at all but I certainly don't want things like this to happen:

I think the general refereeing standard is okay. Referees should be given huge respect by all the players, officials and fans. That shouldn't mean that they are above criticism. Whenever a ref makes a mistake he should have to answer for it and be held accountable. The things that annoy me is when you get rulings that are inconsistent or make no sense. The worst thing that refs do for me is re-start a scrum when the ball has already come out. That is just stupid and slows the game up.

I don't think the refs cop too much criticism, not anymore than you expect. Maybe the media is different in the UK. The general refereeing standard is okay when you consider that rugby union is the hardest sport in the world to ajudicate.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  19. TRF_Olyy

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Sale

As much as i love Thurston, that should've been a yellow there.

20. Itsatry

Itsatry Junior Member

I have been feeling that the standard of refereeing has dropped considerably in the last few years. Where are the days of good referees like Andre Watson, Paddy 'o Brien. Jonathan Kaplan still does a good job though, as does Bryce Lawrence.

21. GazzaJAnimal

GazzaJAnimal Member

Country Flag:

England

Well said that man. I totally agree. I know for a fact that referees get only one look at an incident and have to make up their mind in a split second. I know this cos I used to be a referee, had to give it up cos work got in the way!

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!