Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
England
Mark my words.

Before the RWC.

Jutge may also issue a directive to make sure players to not attempt to disrupt ball after ruck has formed in an attempt to address the sway in balance between attack/defence.

Mark my words.

Before the RWC.

Jutge may also issue a directive to make sure players to not attempt to disrupt ball after ruck has formed in an attempt to address the sway in balance between attack/defence.

OK, they're marked.

Now tell me what a crocodile roll is, when people roll on the floor after being tackled ?

Faletau's croc roll on JDV:
FlakyFearfulIndochinesetiger.gif

Surprised this doesn't happen more often TBH

Last edited:
When at a ruck and you wrap arms around other Ruckers waist and you fall sideways rolling him onto his back away from the ruck. It's how Wade and JDV injured their legs.

aaaaaaaaahhh !!! who would take the time to make a gif of that, goddaaaaymm!!!!

Ah yeah, I getya.

Yeah, can be very dangerous (as evidenced in the JdV incident) - will take some of the competition out of rucks, though. Smaller guys will have next to no chance of clearing a guy out, now.

I thought you were talking about this "crocodile roll" of dubious legality. Are you referring to what is called the "can-opener" (who comes up with these?) in this video?

Last edited by a moderator:
Different people call them different things... croc roll is the most appropriate IMO.

I don't know how Irish people open cans, but I've certainly never found that rolling onto the floor with one gets me any closer to having my Heinz tomato soup...

will take some of the competition out of rucks

It'll potentially make teams less likely to play rugby, and revert to booting the **** out of the ball.

I did think this was going to be a banned substance at first.

Thinking does crocodile meat boost your test to a huge level or something?

Nope... does make your jaw bigger though, the meat is tough as **** apparently.

It's a ****ing can opener alright?!

And we open cans whatever damn way we please.

Though I'd say Faletau made a very poor attempt at it there. It's meant to be a square on hit and grab under his arm and beside his neck or at least that's the way I was taught to do it when we got rucking help from an olympic wrestler although clearly the pros have use an easier method that doesn't have to be as precise. Never seen anyone get injured that way.

They've recently made it illegal to do it round the neck: both hands must be "underneath" the opponents arms/around the torso.

It's a bit like a tip tackle or a "cannonball", they're actually fairly innocuous 9 times out of 10... it's the 10th one that ends someones career or puts them in a wheelchair that's the problem.

Would be ridiculous to ban it. If it's around the neck then absolutely ban it. But wrapping around the torso and rolling to win a ruck is a relatively safe way to clear a ruck. Of course there will be incidents where a leg gets trapped and it's horrible, but you can get injured or injure someone clearing anyway you try. How many players dislocate their shoulders during a clear out? Or get an ankle trapped at the bottom of the ruck?

In that case Faletau didn't even join the ruck correctly though did he? Looked like he had just come around the side.

Would be ridiculous to ban it. If it's around the neck then absolutely ban it. But wrapping around the torso and rolling to win a ruck is a relatively safe way to clear a ruck. Of course there will be incidents where a leg gets trapped and it's horrible, but you can get injured or injure someone clearing anyway you try. How many players dislocate their shoulders during a clear out? Or get an ankle trapped at the bottom of the ruck?

I agree with that. Its a massive shame about the injury but its a minor issue that doen't need the health and safety brigade to jump up and down in hysteria

I agree with Olyy, it's the way in which smaller guys actually have a chance of rucking against bigger guys. If you remove it, then the only means a smaller guy has of removing a bigger guy is charging the ruck with a bit of pace and slamming the bigger guy out of the way... which can't be safer, surely?

They've recently made it illegal to do it round the neck: both hands must be "underneath" the opponents arms/around the torso.

It's a bit like a tip tackle or a "cannonball", they're actually fairly innocuous 9 times out of 10... it's the 10th one that ends someones career or puts them in a wheelchair that's the problem.

Really? Never seen it reffed.

Though in fairness what I'm talking about isn't really around the neck it's more around the chest with one arm nearly parallel to the neck, it's also generally done in a fast and fluid motion. Jamie Heaslip seems to really favour it.

Latest posts