• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Croft out of first half of Six Nations

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Jan 16 2010, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Jan 17 2010, 10:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Could open the door for Lawes at 6?

Nah, too progressive a move.[/b]
Lawes too slow, never make it in the backrow.
[/b][/quote]

Yeah. That's why he's never played regularly in the backrow in every level bar test rugby... :rolleyes:

Anyway, it'll be Haskell at 6 and Lawes on the bench. for that is the way things are.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Jan 17 2010, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Jan 16 2010, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Jan 17 2010, 10:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Could open the door for Lawes at 6?

Nah, too progressive a move.[/b]
Lawes too slow, never make it in the backrow.
[/b][/quote]

Yeah. That's why he's never played regularly in the backrow in every level bar test rugby... :rolleyes:

Anyway, it'll be Haskell at 6 and Lawes on the bench. for that is the way things are.
[/b][/quote]
I saw him recently at 6 (last week in the GP?) and was surprised at how clunky he was. No way he'll make it at international level in that position - doesn't have the basic speed + not a quick thinker at the breakdown.

In fairness I haven't seen alot of his play. Seems to me that straight charging is his phenomenal strength, rather than haring across the pitch, and I suspect Johnson has big plans for him in that role.

Whichever way it goes, pray he doesn't turn into another England flash in the pan.

Mate, the guy is a juggernaught. If you saw him at the Saracens vs Saints game back in september he was very mobile and quick around the breakdown.

I mean, look at Steffon Armitage. I just mean watch him for the first time for five minutes. Most guys who first lay eyes on him first remark that the guy just seems too slow at the breakdown but then they see how he actually operates and soon they join the legion of guys who rate Steffon as one of the best opensides in the Guiness Premiership next to guys like Andy Saull.

My mind is that Haskell will go at 6 and Johnno will fill the empty space by recalling Ian Balshaw...c'mon you know Johnno can't resist..

Surely Robshaw deserves a go? Would like to see Johnson mould Haskell into an 8 to replace Easter rather than someone to compete with Croft, Robshaw and Worsley.

Robshaw's already been in and around the England camp over the summer and has played well at the highest club levels so i reckon he's a good shout. The only think about a Robshaw, Moody and Easter combo is that it lacks a bit of pace.

Haskell will play 6, which is fair enough. He's a good player.

I want to see Saull called up as a replacement though, he deserves it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Jan 17 2010, 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

I want to see Saull called up as a replacement though, he deserves it.[/b]

over Robshaw - Guinness Premiership Player of the Year 2008/2009?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ali12 @ Jan 17 2010, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Jan 17 2010, 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Hasn't been that special this season has he?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Jan 17 2010, 11:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ali12 @ Jan 17 2010, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Jan 17 2010, 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Hasn't been that special this season has he?
[/b][/quote]

He's been one of the best players for Quins this season - and carries more than ever.
The only telling stat i have to show for this is from the Opta stats which are pretty limited:

4th in the tackles chart - behind Tom Wood, Serge Betsen and Pat Sanderson

Saull is in a different league right now. The guy has been absolutely immense for Saracens and one of the primary reasons why they're in with a chance of winning the league this season. The guy is lightweight I admit but as HRH Richard Hill (AKA God, the King of Kings and the best there was, the best there is and the best there'll ever be) has said, his technique, speed and attacking skill more than makes up that.

Look at Richie McCaw, what makes him so special? It isn't just what he does at the breakdown its the all round package that he brings to the All Black table. Its the fact that McCaw is just as comfortable in attack as he is ferreting through a dogpile sniffing for the ball that makes him special and Andy Saull in my mind reflects those same qualities.

Thats why Saull should get tapped for the Senior squad in place of Croft. Lawes in at 6, Haskell in at 8 and Saull on the bench waiting for Moody to run into a rugby post or something.

Edit: seriously, if a trio of Lawes, Haskell and Saull can't get the job done we may as well just throw out lot in with Brussels and demand an EU team.

Personally, I think this is more a call between Easter and Robson, because I'm fairly sure this guarantees Haskell a place.
If Johnson puts him at 6, Easter stays at 8. If he goes at 8, it's more open but Robson would be my guess.
Lawes would also be a good option I think, but I want to see him in the 2nd row (not that it's going to happen. God forbid
we should give new players game time before injuries force our hand...)

Latest posts