• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Crusaders v Catalans

B

Bullitt

Watching the build-up now: Haha @ Sky Sports Rugby League coverage... Gareth Thomas was good player (WAS being operative), but in no way was he a "legend", "the best ever", "a superstar" or any other superlative you wish to throw at him.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Mar 19 2010, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Watching the build-up now: Haha @ Sky Sports Rugby League coverage... Gareth Thomas was good player (WAS being operative), but in no way was he a "legend", "the best ever", "a superstar" or any other superlative you wish to throw at him.[/b]

Proof that League "experts" know sod all about Union.

C'mon Catalans!

Thomas just gone off injured after 30mins, didn't do too bad on the pitch, nothing great, nothing really bad

Only 6 - 0 to the crusaders, so it's still up for grabs, and the Dragons have been attacking well in the last few minutes

I watched this earlier, it wasn't a great match, especially not with 17,500 on at Knowsley Road for Saints vs. Warrington.

I think the big problem people had with this game was that it wasn't Saints vs. Warrington, which was on at the same time and was always going to be an infinitely better match.

I think the big problem people had with this game was that it wasn't Saints vs. Warrington, which was on at the same time and was always going to be an infinitely better match.

Ye I do agree with that, they should have looked to move one of the games to ensure that there was no clash / Sky should have covered both games.

To the actual ground, yes, I'd agree. On TV? Barely. Trust me, league fans would rather see St Helens vs. Warrington before Gareth Thomas.

Oh i agree completely, but the casual viewer on tv is more likely to think "Oh, that ex-Wales captain is playing in this isn't he?" then show interest in any other league match,
I agree that it was an odd choice to show a match between the two teams with the smallest fan base, when there was a match between two teams with two of the biggest fan bases

It's not even necessarily down to fan base. Saints - Warrington games have a reputation over the last 5 years of being the best games of the season and it was a classic this time around as well. I was and still am staggered it wasn't shown. Don't get me wrong it doesn't bother me, a 17,500 lock out at Knowsley Road is precisely what I want to see, especially in the last season, but it was mystifying.

Not that Gareth Thomas lasted long, anyway....

It was more about attracting casual viewers: The people who don't watch Super League and may have a nose because a familiar name is playing.

Much like half of Wigans population suddenly took an interest in the 2007 World Cup...

Latest posts