• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[Currie Cup 2016] Premier Division Round 1 (5 & 6 August 2016)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
Currie%20Cup%20Logo.png

GWK%20Griquas.png
Versus%20Currie%20Cup.png
Kings.png

Venue: Griqua Park, Kimberley
Time: 15:00 CAT
Date: 05/08/2016

Blue%20Bulls.png
Western%20Province.png

Venue: Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria
Time: 17:15 CAT
Date: 05/08/2016​

Blue Bulls: 15 Bjorn Basson, 14 Jade Stighling, 13 Dries Swanepoel, 12 Burger Odendaal, 11 Jamba Ulengo, 10 Tian Schoeman, 9 Piet van Zyl, 8 Arno Botha (captain), 7 Jannes Kirsten, 6 Ruan Steenkamp, 5 Marvin Orie, 4 Jason Jenkins, 3 Entienne Swanepoel, 2 Jaco Visagie, 1 Pierre Schoeman

Substitutes: 16 Bandise Maku, 17 Nqoba Mxoli, 18 Eli Snyman, 19 Hanro Liebenberg, 20 Andre Warner, 21 Tony Jantjies, 22 Dan Kriel

Western Province: 15 Scott van Breda, 14 Khanyo Ngcukana, 13 Huw Jones, 12 Daniel du Plessis, 11 Leolin Zas, 10 Robert du Preez, 9 Jano Vermaak, 8 Jacques Vermeulen, 7 Jurie van Vuuren, 6 Rynhardt Elstadt, 5 Chris van Zyl (captain), 4 JD Schickerling, 3 Wilco Louw, 2 Scarra Ntubeni, 1 Alistair Vermaak

Substitutes: 16 Chad Solomon, 17 Oli Kebble, 18 JP Smith, 19 Kobus van Dyk, 20 Godlen Masimla, 21 Brandon Thomson, 22 Johnny Kotze

Pumas.png
Natal%20Sharks.png

Venue: Mbombela Stadium, Nelspruit
Time: 19:20 CAT
Date: 05/08/2016​

Pumas: TBA

Sharks: 15 Odwa Ndungane, 14 Neil Maritz, 13 Lukhanyo Am, 12 Andre Esterhuizen, 11 S'bura Sithole, 10 Curwin Bosch, 9 Michael Claassens, 8 Philip van der Walt, 7 Jean-Luc du Preez, 6 Keegan Daniel (captain), 5 Stephan Lewies, 4 Etienne Oosthuizen, 3 Lourens Adriaanse, 2 Franco Marais, 1 Dale Chadwick

Substitutes: 16 Chiliboy Ralepelle, 17 Thomas du Toit, 18 Ruan Botha, 19 Tera Mtembu, 20 Stefan Ungerer, 21 Inny Radebe, 22 Heimar Williams

Boland%20Kavaliers.png
Free%20State%20Cheetahs.png

Venue: Boland Stadium, Wellington
Time: 15:00 CAT
Date: 06/08/2016​

Last edited:
The problem with these fixtures are that the tournament rganisers think fans support teams (emblems) but the reality is that we support teams made up of players and a known identity. I don't really know the players in the competition.

At some level its exciting looking out for new talent but on the whole I don't thnk I'll be watching much of the CC.

The problem with these fixtures are that the tournament rganisers think fans support teams (emblems) but the reality is that we support teams made up of players and a known identity. I don't really know the players in the competition.

At some level its exciting looking out for new talent but on the whole I don't thnk I'll be watching much of the CC.

To be fair, that has always been the case since Super Rugby got in the mix. The Springbok players are anyways left out of the Currie Cup teams, and usually only get added for the playoffs. Then the majority of Super Rugby players and a bunch of Vodacom Cup and Varsity Cup players are thrown together to make up a Currie Cup team.

The 2 teams that have been already announced so far, the Bulls and Sharks, are evidence of that. The Blue Bulls have 14 players in their matchday 23 who all played in the Super Rugby and the Sharks have 23.

That is relatively consistent with previous years.

I think we will see a bunch of new faces, especially with the Pumas and Boland and to an extent the Griquas. And depending on what the final verdict is on the Kings, if they are replaced by the Leopards, then there will definitely be a lot of new faces.

Just an update:

The Griquas vs Kings match has been postponed to next week, as SARU has ruled that the Kings will participate in the Premier Division after the Port Elizabeth Metro Municipality gave the Kings a R20million package deal.

Result of the 3 played matches:

[TEXTAREA]Boland Kavaliers 16 - 44 Free State Cheetahs
Pumas 10 - 33 Sharks
Blue Bulls 45 - 26 Western Province
[/TEXTAREA]​

Latest posts