• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Currie Cup Final: Natal Sharks v Western Province

Draggs

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Currie%20Cup%20Logo.png

Kings Park Stadium, Durban (27-10-2012, 15:00 GMT)

Natal%20Sharks.png
Versus%20Currie%20Cup.png
Western%20Province.png

It's finals time in South Africa! After 10 weeks of unpredictable matches, we got to the play-offs, where the Natal Sharks beat the Blue Bulls and Western Province were victorious while visiting the Golden Lions. With those results, we see a re-match of the 2010 final. Let's see how the teams did so far. We will specifically zoom in on the matches in which these two teams played against each other.

When the competition started back in August, these two teams went head-to-head in round 1. Newlands was the arena where they tried to get first points. Western Province started off good with a 13-3 lead at half-time. When the second half started, the Sharks only needed 15 minutes to turn things around and a 16-22 lead was the result. The final score was 23-25 and both hookers scored tries. Craig Burden scored twice for the Sharks and Tiaan Liebenberg crossed the line for WP.

In round 6, the teams met again, this time in Durban. Both hookers were unavailable since they were called up for the Springboks during the season, but the young replacements Scarra Ntubeni and Monde Hadebe showed they fit in perfectly. The encounter in Durban however, will always be remembered for the poor discipline, especially from Western Province. Canadian international Jebb Sinclair was red-carded early in the second half for punching Jean Deysel, Tyrone Holmes got a similar punishment 15 minutes later for punching Jacques Botes. The yellow card to Wilhelm van der Sluys 5 minutes before the end of the match resulted in WP ending with 12 men and losing 43-27 with a penalty try in the 82nd minute to give the Sharks a bonuspoint.

Interestingly, the only other team who beat Western Province twice this season, was Golden Lions who were beaten in the semi-finals. That should be a good sign for the Western Province supporters, while the Sharks will hold on to the thought that everything is looking like a copy of the 2010 season. Topping the log, beating Blue Bulls in the semi's and playing WP in the final at Kings Park. The Sharks ended the season with the most points scored, the best point difference, most tries scored, least tries conceded and most bonus points. Statisically, the Sharks cannot lose but in finals rugby, anything is possible.

When we have a look at the history between the two teams in finals rugby, we see they met five times previous to this weekend's clash. In 1984, the teams played a final in Cape Town and a 19-9 victory ensured a victory for WP while Natal, in only their second final at that moment, were outclassed. Around the turn of the century, a WP-Natal final was played in both 2000 and 2001, both going the way of Western Province. The 15-25 win in 2000 was in Durban, a 29-24 win a year later was at Newlands. It was the last time a trophy was added to the cabinet in Cape Town.

Natal Sharks have won 2 finals against Western Province. The most recent one was in 2010 when Patrick Lambie scored 25 points (only 1 short of Derick Hougaard's record for most points in a final by a single player) in a 30-10 beating. In 1995, Natal beat Western Province in Durban by 25-17, getting their 3rd ***le in 5 years. If the Sharks win this weekend, it will again be their 3rd championship in a couple of seasons.

The Sharks are firm favorites but it's anyone's guess who will lift the trophy after 80 minutes. These two teams have played each other so many times, both in Currie Cup and Super Rugby and both teams got their Springboks back since their last meeting. For the Sharks we see Mtawarira, Burden, Jannie du Plessis, Coetzee, Alberts, Lambie, Mvovo and Pietersen while Western Province can call upon Liebenberg, Etzebeth, Vermeulen, Habana and de Jongh while Bekker and de Villiers are out injured. The line-ups look like this:

Natal%20Sharks.png
15. Louis Ludik , 14. JP Pietersen , 13. Paul Jordaan, 12. Tim Whitehead, 11. Lwazi Mvovo, 10. Pat Lambie, 9. Cobus Reinach , 8. Keegan Daniel ©, 7. Willem Alberts, 6. Marcell Coetzee, 5. Anton Bresler , 4. Steven Sykes , 3. Jannie du Plessis , 2. Craig Burden , 1. Tendai Mtawarira

Replacements: 16. Kyle Cooper, 17. Wiehahn Herbst, 18. Jandre Marais , 19. Jean Deysel , 20. Charl McLeod, 21. Meyer Bosman, 22. Odwa Ndungane

Western Province.png
15. Gio Aplon, 14. Gerhard van den Heever, 13. Juan de Jongh, 12. Damian de Allende, 11. Bryan Habana, 10. Demetri Catrakilis, 9. Nic Groom, 8. Duane Vermeulen, 7. Don Armand, 6. Deon Fourie ©, 5. De Kock Steenkamp, 4. Eben Etzebeth, 3. Frans Malherbe, 2. Scarra Ntubeni, 1. Steven Kitshoff

Replacements:
16. Deon Carstens, 17. Brok Harris, 18. Wilhelm van der Sluys, 19. Jebb Sinclair, 20. Louis Schreuder, 21. Marcel Brache, 22. Joe Pietersen

The WP lineup has been named.

Western Province: 15 Gio Aplon, 14 Gerhard van den Heever, 13 Juan de Jongh, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Demetri Catrakilis, 9 Nic Groom, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Don Armand, 6 Deon Fourie (captain), 5 De Kock Steenkamp, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Frans Malherbe, 2 Scarra Ntubeni, 1 Steven Kitshoff.
Replacements: 16 Deon Carstens, 17 Brok Harris, 18 Wilhelm van der Sluys, 19 Jebb Sinclair, 20 Louis Schreuder, 21 Marcel Brache, 22 Joe Pietersen.

15. Louis Ludik
14. JP Pietersen
13. Paul Jordaan
12. Tim Whitehead
11. Lwazi Mvovo
10. Pat Lambie
9. Cobus Reinach
8. Keegan Daniel (Capt)
7. Willem Alberts
6. Marcell Coetzee
5. Anton Bresler
4. Steven Sykes
3. Jannie du Plessis
2. Craig Burden
1. Tendai Mtawarira

Replacements
16. Kyle Cooper
17. Wiehahn Herbst
18. Jandre Marais
19. Jean Deysel
20. Charl McLeod
21. Meyer Bosman
22. Odwa Ndungane

Kak back five forward for us.
Back row is unbalanced, Deysel is a better player than Alberts.
Sykes should be gone, he adds nothing and will no longer be a Shark next year.
Productive 2012, gotten rid of Yikes and Sheate.

It's finals time in South Africa! After 10 weeks of unpredictable matches, we got to the play-offs, where the Natal Sharks beat the Blue Bulls and Western Province were victorious while visiting the Golden Lions. With those results, we see a re-match of the 2010 final. Let's see how the teams did so far. We will specifically zoom in on the matches in which these two teams played against each other.

When the competition started back in August, these two teams went head-to-head in round 1. Newlands was the arena where they tried to get first points. Western Province started off good with a 13-3 lead at half-time. When the second half started, the Sharks only needed 15 minutes to turn things around and a 16-22 lead was the result. The final score was 23-25 and both hookers scored tries. Craig Burden scored twice for the Sharks and Tiaan Liebenberg crossed the line for WP.

In round 6, the teams met again, this time in Durban. Both hookers were unavailable since they were called up for the Springboks during the season, but the young replacements Scarra Ntubeni and Monde Hadebe showed they fit in perfectly. The encounter in Durban however, will always be remembered for the poor discipline, especially from Western Province. Canadian international Jebb Sinclair was red-carded early in the second half for punching Jean Deysel, Tyrone Holmes got a similar punishment 15 minutes later for punching Jacques Botes. The yellow card to Wilhelm van der Sluys 5 minutes before the end of the match resulted in WP ending with 12 men and losing 43-27 with a penalty try in the 82nd minute to give the Sharks a bonuspoint.

Interestingly, the only other team who beat Western Province twice this season, was Golden Lions who were beaten in the semi-finals. That should be a good sign for the Western Province supporters, while the Sharks will hold on to the thought that everything is looking like a copy of the 2010 season. Topping the log, beating Blue Bulls in the semi's and playing WP in the final at Kings Park. The Sharks ended the season with the most points scored, the best point difference, most tries scored, least tries conceded and most bonus points. Statisically, the Sharks cannot lose but in finals rugby, anything is possible.

When we have a look at the history between the two teams in finals rugby, we see they met five times previous to this weekend's clash. In 1984, the teams played a final in Cape Town and a 19-9 victory ensured a victory for WP while Natal, in only their second final at that moment, were outclassed. Around the turn of the century, a WP-Natal final was played in both 2000 and 2001, both going the way of Western Province. The 15-25 win in 2000 was in Durban, a 29-24 win a year later was at Newlands. It was the last time a trophy was added to the cabinet in Cape Town.

Natal Sharks have won 2 finals against Western Province. The most recent one was in 2010 when Patrick Lambie scored 25 points (only 1 short of Derick Hougaard's record for most points in a final by a single player) in a 30-10 beating. In 1995, Natal beat Western Province in Durban by 25-17, getting their 3rd ***le in 5 years. If the Sharks win this weekend, it will again be their 3rd championship in a couple of seasons.

The Sharks are firm favorites but it's anyone's guess who will lift the trophy after 80 minutes. These two teams have played each other so many times, both in Currie Cup and Super Rugby and both teams got their Springboks back since their last meeting. For the Sharks we see Mtawarira, Burden, Jannie du Plessis, Coetzee, Alberts, Lambie, Mvovo and Pietersen while Western Province can call upon Liebenberg, Etzebeth, Vermeulen, Habana and de Jongh while Bekker and de Villiers are out injured. The line-ups look like this:

Natal%20Sharks.png
15. Louis Ludik , 14. JP Pietersen , 13. Paul Jordaan, 12. Tim Whitehead, 11. Lwazi Mvovo, 10. Pat Lambie, 9. Cobus Reinach , 8. Keegan Daniel ©, 7. Willem Alberts, 6. Marcell Coetzee, 5. Anton Bresler , 4. Steven Sykes , 3. Jannie du Plessis , 2. Craig Burden , 1. Tendai Mtawarira

Replacements: 16. Kyle Cooper, 17. Wiehahn Herbst, 18. Jandre Marais , 19. Jean Deysel , 20. Charl McLeod, 21. Meyer Bosman, 22. Odwa Ndungane

Western Province.png
15. Gio Aplon, 14. Gerhard van den Heever, 13. Juan de Jongh, 12. Damian de Allende, 11. Bryan Habana, 10. Demetri Catrakilis, 9. Nic Groom, 8. Duane Vermeulen, 7. Don Armand, 6. Deon Fourie ©, 5. De Kock Steenkamp, 4. Eben Etzebeth, 3. Frans Malherbe, 2. Scarra Ntubeni, 1. Steven Kitshoff

Replacements:
16. Deon Carstens, 17. Brok Harris, 18. Wilhelm van der Sluys, 19. Jebb Sinclair, 20. Louis Schreuder, 21. Marcel Brache, 22. Joe Pietersen

Excellent writeup, Eze.
I love/hate this time of the season. Finals are always exciting, but the CC is undoubtedly my favourite competition in rugby, and that means another nine months until we see it again.
How long until S15? ;)

Excellent writeup, Eze.
I love/hate this time of the season. Finals are always exciting, but the CC is undoubtedly my favourite competition in rugby, and that means another nine months until we see it again.
How long until S15? ;)

It's on the way to becoming mine(or at least close) as well. The 6 team format has been an unqualified success and every game this season has had the possiblity of either team winning at kickoff. I can't wait for Saturday and I'm pumped the game is on live here in Canada.

It's on the way to becoming mine(or at least close) as well. The 6 team format has been an unqualified success and every game this season has had the possiblity of either team winning at kickoff. I can't wait for Saturday and I'm pumped the game is on live here in Canada.

I liked eight teams because there were more matches, but six has made this season incredibly competitive.
If Welsh team had more success in Europe, it might be different... Sharks need to enter the HC for a season so I can claim an HC winning team.

What I enjoy about the CC is the opportunity to see a great variety of players. We have Springboks playing alongside Vodacom Cup players. Young lads giving it their all for the S15 squads.
I wonder if I can get to Kings Park by Saturday...

What time is it aired in Canada?
Glad you can view this, enjoy!

Depends on where in Canada I suppose.
For LG and myself, 11 in the morning.

I will have a lovely weekend.

Saturday 5 PM: Currie Cup final
Saturday 9 PM: Halloween party at the pub

It will be 1 hour longer because DST ends

On Sunday I will celebrate my birthday, hopefully with a Currie Cup win for the Sharks and will visit my new-born cousin

That could be a crucial hour depending on the party :p

Can't wait for the final. I am sort of glad it isn't later, as I'd just sit around waiting for it.

Best of luck to both teams and supporters
Odds are heavy favoured to the Sharks, I'll be damned if they don't win it

Enjoy!

I don't like going into a match heavy favourites.
Plumtree doesn't seem to do a good job getting our players mentally ready, I hope Daniel is ready to motivate and lead for 80 minutes like never before.

This will be the third time in Keegan's career he will captain a team in a final. So far, he is the most succesful captain in Sharks history only losing a handful of matches in 3 seasons (2 Currie Cup, 1 Super Rugby). However, he has lost his first two finals but this is the first one he will play in Durban.

[TABLE="class: grid"]
[TR][TD] Natal Sharks [/TD][TD] [/TD][TD] Western Province [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Louis Ludik [/TD][TD] 15 [/TD][TD] Gio Aplon* [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] JP Pietersen* [/TD][TD] 14 [/TD][TD] Gerhard van den Heever [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Paul Jordaan [/TD][TD] 13 [/TD][TD] Juan de Jongh* [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Tim Whitehead [/TD][TD] 12 [/TD][TD] Damien de Allende [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Lwazi Mvovo* [/TD][TD] 11 [/TD][TD] Bryan Habana* [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Patrick Lambie* [/TD][TD] 10 [/TD][TD] Demetri Catrakilis [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Cobus Reinach [/TD][TD] 9 [/TD][TD] Nic Groom [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Keegan Daniel* [/TD][TD] 8 [/TD][TD] Duane Vermeulen* [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Willem Alberts* [/TD][TD] 7 [/TD][TD] Don Armand [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Marcell Coetzee* [/TD][TD] 6 [/TD][TD] Deon Fourie © [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Anton Bresler [/TD][TD] 5 [/TD][TD] De Kock Steenkamp [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Steven Sykes [/TD][TD] 4 [/TD][TD] Eben Etzebeth* [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Jannie du Plessis* [/TD][TD] 3 [/TD][TD] Frans Malherbe [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Craig Burden [/TD][TD] 2 [/TD][TD] Scarra Ntubeni [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Tendai Mtawarira* [/TD][TD] 1 [/TD][TD] Steven Kitshoff [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Kyle Cooper [/TD][TD] 16 [/TD][TD] Deon Carstens* [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Wiehahn Herbst [/TD][TD] 17 [/TD][TD] Brok Harris [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Jandre Marais [/TD][TD] 18 [/TD][TD] Wilhelm van der Sluys [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Jean Deysel* [/TD][TD] 19 [/TD][TD] Jebb Sinclair** [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Charl McLeod* [/TD][TD] 20 [/TD][TD] Louis Schreuder [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Meyer Bosman* [/TD][TD] 21 [/TD][TD] Marcel Brache [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] Odwa Ndungane* [/TD][TD] 22 [/TD][TD] Joe Pietersen [/TD][/TR]
[/TABLE]

* denotes Springboks
** denotes Sinclair as a Canadian international

The Natal Sharks are playing with 8 Springboks in the starting XV and another 4 off the bench
Western Province have 5 Springboks in the starting XV and a Canadian international off the bench

WP all got the "Best of David Copperfield" DVD on Wednesday cause they need some magic to take this one...

Gena,

Are you going to watch the U19 and U21 finals as well?

Well, because of the bad state of the field, the U19 match has been moved to the B-field so that one won't be broadcast. They are showing a re-run of the Sharks-Blue Bulls semi final.

The U19 Currie Cup final was won by Western Province against the Blue Bulls. The final score was 22-18.

For WP there were 3 tries (Justin Geduld, Werner Kok), a penalty and a conversion (both by Tommaso Allan.

For the Blue Bulls there were tries by Jan Serfontein and Megiel Burger Odendaal, 2 penalties (Jacques Nelius Rossouw, Jan-Frederik Enslin) and a penalty (Enslin).

Arno Botha, Bongi Mbonambi, Francois Venter, Ulrich Beyers, Jean Cook and Tony Jantjies (younger brother of Elton) all play in the U21 final for the Bulls.

With WP, only JP du Plessis has senior team experience.

Latest posts