• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Currie Cup Final: Natal Sharks v Western Province

****ing hell, what a ****ing shambles.
Well done WP, excellent performance, truly up for it.
Craig Burden needs to be ****ing shoed for that horrendous performance. How can we expect to win if we lose five straight lineouts.

Gutless.

EDIT
Calmed down a bit now, just gutted.

Congratulations WP, enjoy the victory Stormer, Gena, and all others. As I said earlier this year, it was only a matter of time before Province won a trophy, and today they truly deserved it. Jannie was an idiot; he was a monster in the scrum, but so close to getting carded and had to be dragged off. Our lineout is no surprise, last week it was ****, earlier this year it was ****. Cooper offered more in those last ten than Burden did all match.

McLeod was crap, why did he knock on when playing advantage? Sykes did little, Marais has fire in his belly. Deysel should have started over Alberts or Coetzee, sorry. We had so many blown opportunities, those times five metres out we did nothing, and then handed the ball over from the lineout.
Alberts really doesn't offer much when under pressure. Etzebethan handled him without a spare thought.

I had a gut feeling all week that WP would win. I hate being clear favourites. Plumtree cannot mentally prepare our side, and we went in complacent. Nic Groom, what a prospect! JdJ must be the starting OC right now; Jordaan in a few years of course. I haven't felt this bad in, well, a year.

Etzebeth is an absolute beast. Where did you find this lad? Groom looked sharp, as did Schreuder; they are a massive change from the days of Januarie and Duvenage.

We really played like we did last week, no clinical finishing.

When you look at it, though, the future of South African rugby is very bright (provided a coach can tap into it). Province and the Sharks are producing some young, wonderfully talented players. If I had more confidence in the coach (not giving up on him yet), then I wouldn't be surprised to see a very competitive side come 2015.

Again, well done WP. It hurts to lose, especially in the final at home. I can't wait for the clashes in a few months time. Right now you'd have to fancy one of us to possibly make the final. Maybe we both will- what a match that will be.

Trying to clear my head now, I'll try to post a more coherent post later.

Last edited:
I had to bartend, but the atmosphere in the pub was crazy.

WOW!!!!! Game of the year!!!!! What tension, what atmosphere!!!! My heart is still racing!!!!

The Sharks have now blown 3 finals in a row.

Last edited:
Well done to WP on a brilliant season ending top of Super XV, winning the U19 Currie Cup, Vodacom Cup, Super XV Conference Cup & the Premier Currie Cup.

Supporters can't ask for more than that in 1 year!

What makes the Currie Cup victory even more impressive is that WP played without Schalk Burger (cpt), Jean De Villiers (cpt), Liebenberg (cpt), Andries Bekker (cpt) and played with their 5th captain (Deon Fourie) in 2012 season.

Other key players also out:

Elstadt, Nick Koster, Nizam Carr and Habana got injured at the start of the final.

Add to that, Francois Louw and Jacques Fourie have also left for "greener" pastures.

I think that the youngsters will take a lot of confidence from this victory without STAR players and may be the start to a new WP dominance era?

Last edited:
Spare a thought for Schalk Burger and Jean De Villiers still have not actively won a Currie Cup!

I don't know if it has been confirmed but rumour has it that Elton Jantjies will be joining province for next years Super XV campaign. Catrakillis is moving the the Southern Kings (PE). Peter Grant and Elton will definitely add depth to the ranks.

What a final!!

The only thing that kept the Sharks within a shot, was Jaco Peyper... He was dreadful!!

JP Pietersen and Lambie was the standout players for the sharks with assistance by Ludick and Reinach.

The only remarkable thing from the Sharks was their scrums, geez, I think poor old Frans Malherbe will have a very sore back today, Beast bent him like a pretzel.

The 2 Drop Goals by Catrakilis was BMT and that's what got them over the line. also, very poor tackling by Daniel in JDJ try...

I think a couple of performers will be included in the Bok squad that will be named at 2pm local time today.

Congratulations to all WP fans. You deserved the win, you were better, hungrier, more composed, more focused. Nobody can disagree with this win. It hurts but next year the Sharks have another chance.

Gena, my friend. You must have had a weekend to remember. Special congratulations go out to you. Enjoy the victory.

Thank you dear Eze, at long last WP have some silverware.
Still can't believe it, had to re watch the game

The body and head hurts, we sure did celebrate...
Almost Super 15 time again and our teams are now some distance ahead of the rest in SA

I need some sleep now

Thanks, Eze. I think WP just needed it more. And without some of our bigger names as well; is there maybe some truth to the speculation that the clique of Liebenberg, Bekker, Burger and JdV (notice our main leadership core as well!) are/were maybe a bit laissez faire ITO approach in previous crunch games for WP/Stormers?

It seems like underdogs do well in the CC final (2010, 2011, now 2012).
Anyways, well done lads, enjoy your trophy. We'll be gunning for it next year!

Wonder if Pine Pienaar is going to keep his job? Too early to give Nollis Marais a chance maybe I don't know but he did win the Varsity Cup with Tuks and the u/21 CC this year.

Latest posts