• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Customisable controls

Which of these control systems do you think should be implemented?

• Pass Left X(Square) - Pass Right B(Circle) - Xbox '06

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Pass Left L1 - Pass Right R1 - PS2 '08

Votes: 72 59.5%
  • Both available as options

Votes: 40 33.1%
  • Another option

Votes: 8 6.6%

• Total voters

Duckdee

First XV
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Leicester
Simple request, really. Actions that are mapped to the face and shoulder buttons should be moveable. For example, passing. I've seen some posts placing pass on L1 & R1, whereas others say X & B. Which is better? Neither, it's all about player preferance.

Also, any secondary functions a button might have should be seperate. If Y is again set-up for a box kick at rucks, and grubbers in open play, but say I want up and unders on Y, I should be able to do that without losing the box kick from it.

This is something that really ought to be standard in the industry, but for some unfathomable reason, isn't. So I ask now, before too much code becomes concrete, please do this.

Simple request, really. Actions that are mapped to the face and shoulder buttons should be moveable. For example, passing. I've seen some posts placing pass on L1 & R1, whereas others say X & B. Which is better? Neither, it's all about player preferance.

Also, any secondary functions a button might have should be seperate. If Y is again set-up for a box kick at rucks, and grubbers in open play, but say I want up and unders on Y, I should be able to do that without losing the box kick from it.

This is something that really ought to be standard in the industry, but for some unfathomable reason, isn't. So I ask now, before too much code becomes concrete, please do this.

It's a good idea, and most PC games do have re-assignable controls, but I can see there would be problems for consoles, as people would mess up some perfectly good controls to try and find good ones in the limitations of a controller.
I think that what should be done for consoles is a set of presets, so that people can chose their favourite. This is what is used in most games (like racing games choosing whether you want triggers as accellerator or a button) and so shouldn't be that hard to program.

Presets are better than nothing, especially for my passing example, but it still isn't ideal. I'll admit, personal circumstances inflate the importance of this issue slightly for me, but when some racing games don't even give you that option, it's very disheartening.

If you have to have them, presets are the best way to do it. But honestly if the game is made around the controls and its done well you really shouldnt need to changed it.

Dear god i would hate it if passing was x and b. That would be truely terrible.

Please dont do that

Please dont do that

I was as against that control method as anyone could possibly be. I was pretty annoyed at it being put into the Xbox Rugby '06 version. Many TRF'ers were at the time. It seemed ridiculous and against all we'd grown used to and wanted.

Honestly, it was amazing, how many of us did a 180 after about our 5th or 6th game. I prefer it now. I'm sure you'll see others who do too. I understand where your coming from and I know right now that your unlikely to see it working at all. I know I felt exactly the same. Still would prefer to have both available.

I was as against that control method as anyone could possibly be. I was pretty annoyed at it being put into the Xbox Rugby '06 version. Many TRF'ers were at the time. It seemed ridiculous and against all we'd grown used to and wanted.

Honestly, it was amazing, how many of us did a 180 after about our 5th or 6th game. I prefer it now. I'm sure you'll see others who do too. I understand where your coming from and I know right now that your unlikely to see it working at all. I know I felt exactly the same. Still would prefer to have both available.

I dont know how it would even work, your thumb would be in control of passing to both directions.. i like having an index finger on L1 and R1 for quick snap passing..
I hope they redo the passing system to make the interplay sharper and less laboured, then include both presets. Then we can see what the best preset is.

Oi, who changed the point of the thread by adding that poll? :p

I actually think that everyone would like fully customisable controls. There's nothing surer than that. The poll just reflects the main options as shown to us via HB in the past. The is the "another option" selection which sort of covers customisable controls.

Please dont do that

I was suprised when i picked up rugby 2005 (xbox) that it wasnt L and R but it actually works quite well, with r trigger as sprint.

but with the 360 controller, maybe have RB and LB as pass with RT as sprint?

I had 06 on both PS2 AND xbox and felt the X-left B-right was a much more intuative control method then the frankly horrible PS2 method.

The option to choose at the assign controllers would be the best bet as no doubt there are plenty of people who think the other way round, but that was a good enough reason for me to not bother with 08 on PS2 and buy it on PC instead. I really hated the control system that much.

but with the 360 controller, maybe have RB and LB as pass with RT as sprint?

Hell no! you'd end up tying your fingers in knots every tome you want your centres to dummy a pass.

I had 06 on both PS2 AND xbox and felt the X-left B-right was a much more intuative control method then the frankly horrible PS2 method.

The option to choose at the assign controllers would be the best bet as no doubt there are plenty of people who think the other way round, but that was a good enough reason for me to not bother with 08 on PS2 and buy it on PC instead. I really hated the control system that much.

Honestly anyone who hasn't played 10 games (to get used to it) of Rugby '06 on the Xbox has absolutely no idea what they missed. Dummy passes were very easy to execute with that method for one. The biggest thing was the remarkably odd revelation of using one thumb for passing as opposed to two index fingers. It was quite amazing, and I mean what I say when I said I was a huge L1/R1 fan going into it.

Hell no! you'd end up tying your fingers in knots every tome you want your centres to dummy a pass.

calm down, just a suggestion. (what? hes an admin? oh s**t!)

i mean, great idea kind sir, you're very right indeed.

calm down, just a suggestion. (what? hes an admin? oh s**t!)

i mean, great idea kind sir, you're very right indeed.

Bullitt speaks fairly plainly alex, but in this case I'm sure it was just enthusiastically making his point. :) Kind of epitomises the difference between this forum and others. Admins and mods here speak as directly as members. At a lot of other sites admins and mods seem to just sit back and take all sorts of comment without being able to speak freely back. Here it's a different story and it's honestly much the better for it.

Honestly anyone who hasn't played 10 games (to get used to it) of Rugby '06 on the Xbox has absolutely no idea what they missed. Dummy passes were very easy to execute with that method for one. The biggest thing was the remarkably odd revelation of using one thumb for passing as opposed to two index fingers. It was quite amazing, and I mean what I say when I said I was a huge L1/R1 fan going into it.

Im actually very intrigued as to how this method feels. I have never owned an xbox and every rugby game I have ever owned is L1/R1. Seems hard to get my head around when I think about it.

I suppose then if the face buttons were used then the L1/R1 could be used for special moves etc. What were the shoulder buttons substituted to? And how did kicking work?

There were only one set of shoulder buttons on the original Xbox, so it was actually another two face buttons (white and black), but when played on the 360, LB and RB were up & under and drop goal.

Im actually very intrigued as to how this method feels. I have never owned an xbox and every rugby game I have ever owned is L1/R1. Seems hard to get my head around when I think about it.

I suppose then if the face buttons were used then the L1/R1 could be used for special moves etc. What were the shoulder buttons substituted to? And how did kicking work?

Think of it like JLR on the PC with a game pad, the same layout was used for that also - (he says assuming everybodys PCs made it run like my old one did).

Well I have just played my first game of '08 for quite some time. I usually play '06 on the Xbox and I have to say where most of my grief on the control scheme comes from.

I don't actually mind passing left with L1 and right with R1, not at all. I still prefer the X & B from Rugby '06 on Xbox any day of the week, but L1 R1 is functional. Although that is not where the problem is.

The problem is with R2. R2 is great for sprinting, and L1 and R1 are decent for passing, BUT they do not work well together.

The problem is this, when you hold the Playstation controller in your hands to play this, your left hand can place it's index finger on the L1 and rest the middle finger under the base of the controller for stability. When you place your right hand in the same position the controller feels stable in your hands and is ready for action, but you can't do this. You need your middle finger on your right hand for applying to R2 for sprint.

The crucial time where things go wrong and feel extra unbalanced are when you are sprinting on attack which is during most of the attack and trying to pass to the right at the same time.

When you try to (with your right hand again) hover your index finger over R1 and your middle finger over R2, the right side of the controller feels loose. You only have your remaining two fingers securing the base of the controller. This makes the controller move about in your hands a little and feels very awkward and slightly unbalanced because you have three fingers under the left side of the controller. If you try and make them both symmetrical and have your left index over L1 and left middle over L2, this all feels even looser in the hands.

If it absolutely must be L1/R1 passing only (which it shouldn't - the two options should be there), then sprint should be relocated to Triangle (where it was with Jonah Lomu's). This would push grubber to R2 (or drop goal if you wanted to swap those two around). The benefit of that, is that grubbers and drop goals should be awkward and a momentary unbalance in your hands would be the price you pay for having a stab at these more skilled moves.

Please tell me someone understands what I'm talking about? :)

i get you CA , not a bad idea. ime not sure but when you hold the 360 contoller i think your fingers are in a better place for the R1/L1, i think with xbox it should be RT pass right LT pass left and one of R/ with an option for a&b passing.but the ps3 well i hate the contooller so ime not going to go into that. sorry this only kinda makes sense

Latest posts