• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

CVC looking to buy shares in Pro14

My post was a joke about what CVC done with F1, took it away from European tracks with big fan bases to the highest bidders where they struggled to get anyone to go for it then to disappear from the calender after 3 years.

CVC will take the Pro14 off terrestrial TV in the UK and Ireland in favour of some obscure pay TV station. Oh wait..............

[I accept your point that it was obviously not greed by CVC but stupidity by the unions]

... and can you say that is a good move? Has the short term chasing of the €€ really benefited the game?

Attendances did drop a bit last year. This year is a world cup year so impossible to use unless differences are stark after xmas (relative to 2017-2018). But I do get the... uhm - undercurrent is maybe the best word for it - that it being off the BBC up here is gonna affect renewals for next year as some folks lose a bit of interest. Yeah, reflects on them - but that's the reality of it.

Like LF said, it's a minority stake. No need to panic yet.

Personally in favour of it as it may overcome the conservatism of the BI based unions and can't jeopardise Italian involvement as they are full partners. My agenda is new markets and financial competence and enlisting an external partner can probably only assist on those fronts.

We'll have games in America soon. And probably a push to get two more saffer teams. Big market to be got at there. Especially with the currency Which is fine if it's the sharks and stormers but bullshit if it's pumas n griquas.
I think the higher quality games in the league...all the derbies in ire/sco/wal will be promoted in the other countries. Always think it's a shame we don't get to see judgement day in millennium stadium here in Ireland. Not good news for the Kings v zebre games.

Speaking of markets. If they want a market to expand in then its surely Italy. Italy is a lot wealthier than SA and we have barely scratched the surface. It has huge potential.

Harder market to break into given the strength of football and how poor relatively the Italian teams are.

Easier in my opinion to see the cheetahs and kings strengthen with cash at expense of the other saffer teams. There's simply loads of saffer players available. If the cheetahs could keep even a third of the local guys they'd be ***le contenders

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/r...uity-sale-bid-inject-tens-millions-clubs.html

Not sure where the right place to put this is (because nobody visits the League section of this board). Super League looks like it'll follow on from the Premiership, Pro 14 and Six Nations in getting investment from a private equity firm.

Presumably it's CVC who are looking at investing and the benefit of adding rugby league to their portfolio is it gives them rugby content 12 months per year to sell and package together. The more content, the higher the price to broadcast media outlets. That would be of benefit to all rugby competitions where CVC have a stake.

Latest posts