• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

D-Day for England: the Six Nations selection thread.

P

Prestwick

Well, the 9th of January draws ever closer and with Brian Ashton set free (we hope) with a long term contract will announce his first squad since the World Cup Final.

No selection day is complete however without several days of sustained bickering and outlandish suggestions by the finest <strike>idiots</strike> brains in the land and so, without further ado! Let the random speculation and crazy XV spamming commence!

Before we start however, some VITAL INFO from various sites and publications around the world:

BBC Sport's "Hot or not" dumb-down-o-rama.

Hot players:
  • Tom Varndell
  • Tom Croft
  • Shane Geraghty
  • Toby Flood
  • Matthew Tait
Not players:
  • None on England's side apparently. Obviously forgot about Hodgeson.
Stuart "thou shalt be negative about anything English" Barne's XV in Rugby World

1. Andrew Sheridan
  2. Dylan Hartley
  3. Phil Vickery
  4. Simon Shaw
  5. Ben Kay
  6. James Haskell
  7. Tom Rees
  8. Nick Easter
  9. Andy Gommersall
  10. Danny Cipriani
  11. David Strettle
  12. Toby Flood
  13. Matthew Tait
  14. Paul Sackey
  15. Nick Unpronouncable (Bath
My problems with that XV? Tait should be at 15 with someone else at 13. Also Matt Stevens should be at 3 instead of Vickery. Other than that, I feel the team is well balanced and the selection of Shaw and Kay sensible in order to keep the pack afloat in times of peril and danger.

I think that team is a load of crap.

Mine;

<table border="1">
<tr>
<td><center>ENGLAND</center></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><CENTER>I'd like:</Center></td>
<td><CENTER>We'll most likely
get rubbish like:</Center>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>1. Stevens</td>
<td>1. Vickery ©</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>2. Hartley</td>
<td>2. Regan</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>3. Sheridan</td>
<td>3. Sheridan</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>4. Deacon</td>
<td>4. Grewcock</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>5. Shaw</td>
<td>5. Kay</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>6. Croft</td>
<td>6. Haskell</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>7. Rees</td>
<td>7. Lund</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>8. Haskell ©</td>
<td>8. Moody</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>9. Gommersall</td>
<td>9. Perry</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>10. Lamb</td>
<td>10. Wilkinson</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>11. Ashton</td>
<td>11. Strettle</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>12. Allen</td>
<td>12. Barkley</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>13. Hipkiss</td>
<td>13. Tindall</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>14. Banahan</td>
<td>14. Varndell</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>15. Abandamanon</td>
<td>15. Tait</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td></td>
<td></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>16. ***terall</td>
<td>16. Mears</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>17. Freshwater</td>
<td>17. Stevens</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>18. Borthwick</td>
<td>18. Borthwick</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>19. Lund</td>
<td>19. Rees</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>20. Foden</td>
<td>20. Richards</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>21. Cipriani</td>
<td>21. Flood</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>22. Strettle</td>
<td>22. Balshite</td>
</tr>
</table>

I think that team is a load of crap.

Mine;

<table border="1">
<tr>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><CENTER>I'd like:</Center></td>
<td><CENTER>We'll most likely
get rubbish like:</Center>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>1. Stevens</td>
<td>1. Vickery ©</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>2. Hartley</td>
<td>2. Regan</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>3. Sheridan</td>
<td>3. Sheridan</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>4. Deacon</td>
<td>4. Grewcock</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>5. Shaw</td>
<td>5. Kay</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>6. Croft</td>
<td>6. Haskell</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>7. Rees</td>
<td>7. Lund</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>8. Haskell ©</td>
<td>8. Moody</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>9. Gommersall</td>
<td>9. Perry</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>10. Lamb</td>
<td>10. Wilkinson</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>11. Ashton</td>
<td>11. Strettle</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>12. Allen</td>
<td>12. Barkley</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>13. Hipkiss</td>
<td>13. Tindall</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>14. Banahan</td>
<td>14. Varndell</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>15. Abandamanon</td>
<td>15. Tait</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td></td>
<td></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>16. ***terall</td>
<td>16. Mears</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>17. Freshwater</td>
<td>17. Stevens</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>18. Borthwick</td>
<td>18. Borthwick</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>19. Lund</td>
<td>19. Rees</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>20. Foden</td>
<td>20. Richards</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>21. Cipriani</td>
<td>21. Flood</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>22. Strettle</td>
<td>22. Balshite</td>
</tr>
</table> [/b]

Relax that man! Well..in the case of Perry and Grewcock. The former is injured for most of the Six Nations and the latter has picked up a ban for being a d*ck I think. Why do Bath play him? He just makes it so they play at 14 men for most of the season.

My XV:

1. Sheridan

2. Hartley

3. Stevens

4. Shaw

5. Kay

6. Croft

7. Rees

8. Haskell

9. Gomersall

10. Cipriani (for a laugh)

11. Varndell

12. Geraghty

13. Hipkiss

14. Sackey

15. Tait

Some people have been suggesting that Ashton might name Tindall & Hipkiss at center and to be frank the thought terrfies me and fills me with dread and feelings of deja vu...

Prepares to get my selection slagged off :ph34r:

1. Sheridan
2. Regan
3. Vickery
4. Shaw
5. Kay
6. Croft
7. Moody
8. Haskell
9. Gomersall
10. Wilkinson
11. Strettle
12. Flood
13. Noon
14. Sackey
15. Tait

16. Stevens
17. Mears
18. Corry
19. Borthwick
20. Richards
21. Cipriani
22. Lewsey

I don't actually know! I'm sure for one of the super saturdays (the ones with three games in a day) we could do a meet up. Maybe at someone's house with lots of beer and snacks or maybe in a pub we know will show it...that strange "dual bar" place next to the Commonwealth Club shows rugby I think.

Hey IBB, you up for Saracens vs Biarritz this weekend?

I don't actually know! I'm sure for one of the super saturdays (the ones with three games in a day) we could do a meet up. Maybe at someone's house with lots of beer and snacks or maybe in a pub we know will show it...that strange "dual bar" place next to the Commonwealth Club shows rugby I think.

Hey IBB, you up for Saracens vs Biarritz this weekend?
[/b]

Well as I just happen to live 5 minutes from Twickers... I can provide the venue and we can even hit a couple of rugby pubs close by. I will admit we only have a small TV but can try and organise something a bit better.

And yes finally it is time.... I will come out of rugby exile to watch the mighty Saracens vanquish Biarritz.

This actually sounds like a bit of a plan. If we all chip in for a booze and snack run this would be great!

1. Sheridan
2. Chuter
3. Stevens
4. Shaw
5. Kay
6. Haskell
7. Lund
8. ?
9.Perry/Gomarshall (I like both they each have different qualities)
10. Wilkinson
11. Strettle
12. Barkley
13. Hipkiss
14. Sackey
15. Tait

Subs Flood, Noon, Varndel for sure, rest is up for grabs really

Prepares to get my selection slagged off :ph34r:

1. Sheridan
2. Regan
3. Vickery
4. Shaw
5. Kay
6. Croft
7. Moody
8. Haskell
9. Gomersall
10. Wilkinson
11. Strettle
12. Flood
13. Noon
14. Sackey
15. Tait

16. Stevens
17. Mears
18. Corry
19. Borthwick
20. Richards
21. Cipriani
22. Lewsey
[/b]

Easter in for Corry now that he's retired.

I think Ashtons selection will be:

1 Sheriden
2 Chuter
3 Vickery
4 Kay
5 shaw
6 Moody
7 Lund
8 Haskell
9 Gommersal
10 Wilkinson
11 Strettle
12 Flood
13 Tindall
14 sackey
15 Tait

The changes I would like to see to that side are Stevens at tighthead, Rees at openside flanker,Mears at hooker and Simpson Daniel instead of Sackey or Strettle( i dont care who, as long as Sinbad starts)

Well here is the 32 man senior squad:

England squad:
Backs: Balshaw (Gloucester), Cipriani (Wasps), Cueto (Sale Sharks), Flood (Newcastle), Gomarsall (Harlequins), Hodgson (Sale Sharks), Noon (Newcastle), Richards (London Irish), Sackey (Wasps), Strettle (Harlequins), Tait (Newcastle), Tindall (Gloucester), Wigglesworth (Sale), Wilkinson (Newcastle), Vainikolo (Gloucester).
Forwards: Borthwick (Bath), Croft (Leicester), Chuter (Leicester), L Deacon (Leicester), Easter (Harlequins), Haskell (Wasps), Kay (Leicester), Mears (Bath), Moody (Leicester), Payne (Wasps), Rees (Wasps), Regan (Bristol), Shaw (Wasps), Sheridan (Sale), Stevens (Bath), Vickery (Wasps, capt), Worsley (Wasps).

Myself, pretty much par for the course to be honest. Disappointed to see Hodgson and Balshaw in there, Tindall I'm not surprised to be honest as he might well be one of Ashton's favourites. On the extreme I have no idea why Deacon is in there, he's never really managed to make it in the senior side and surely now, Worsley is going to be cascaded down to the bench to act as back up in case either Rees, Haskell or Croft get injured. In that role he'd be pretty much perfect as he would be if played at 6 where he can put his tunnel vision to good use...god help us if he starts either on the starting XV or at 7 though.

However I'm delighted to see that Croft, Cipriani and Wigglesworth have survived to make it into the Senior XV and I'm (pleasantly) surprised to see Vainikolo in the sqaud. Against Cueto, Sackey and Strettle he's going to have a good battle to earn a place in the squad against Wales.

Interestingly, here is who they picked for the Saxons:

England Saxons squad for games against Ireland A and Italy A in February:
Backs: Abendanon (Bath), Allen (Gloucester), Armitage (London Irish), Arscott (Bristol), Ashton (Northampton), Brown (Harlequins), Care (Harlequins), Dickson (Newcastle), Geraghty (London Irish), Hipkiss (Leicester), Hodgson (London Irish), Lamb (Gloucester), Simpson-Daniel (Gloucester), O Smith (Leicester), Varndell (Leicester).
Forwards: A Brown (Gloucester), Blaze (Leicester), A Clarke (Bristol), Crane (Leicester), Dowson (Newcastle), Hartley (Northampton), Hobson (Bristol), Kennedy (London Irish), Lipman (Bath), Lund (Sale Sharks), Narraway (Gloucester), Paice (London Irish), Palmer (Wasps), ***terrell (Gloucester), Wilson (Newcastle), Wood (Gloucester), B Woods (Newcastle).

Now, in the case of guys like Care (sorry Mite), Crane, Hartley (sorry again Mite) and Ashton (er...sorry Mite) I agree that its probably better to put guys like them in gradually rather than chucking them in at the deep end against a Warren Gatland Wales which we have probably not a scooby how they'll play. They would most probably sink rather than swim (Hartley less likely so I'd say, he'd have it the easiest out of all the new guys). However, putting highly talented guys who already have a bit of experience who have proven that they are in form and fit like Simpson-Daniel, Dan Hipkiss and (despite their poor tackle rates) Anthony Allen and Ryan Lamb.....I'm sorry but I have to question their judgement on that one. I think Lamb would have been a better choice than Hodgson and Simpson-Daniel a far better choice than Balshaw...

Main squad is pretty much as expected, no huge supprises (including the inclusion of Balshite, Tindall, Kay, Moody and Reegan... Good ol' predictable <strike>Rob Andrew</strike> RFU friends network).

The Saxons squad intrests me somewhat however, The potentiall for a stronger outfit then the full team is there especially if a backline of (compared to 1st team);

<table border="1">
<tr>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><CENTER>Saxons:</Center></td>
<td><CENTER>1st XV:</Center></td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td>9. Care</td>
<td>9. Gommersall</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>10. Lamb</td>
<td>10. Wilkinson</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>11. Simpson-
Daniel</td>
<td>11. Strettle</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>12. Allen</td>
<td>12. Flood</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>13. Hipkiss</td>
<td>13. Tindall</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>14. Ashton</td>
<td>14. Cueto</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>15. Abandamanon</td>
<td>15. Tait</td>
</tr>
</table>

I think I'd rather have the Saxons backline there.

Of course, all will be ruined when Varndell gets games <_<

I don't know, I'd keep Strettle and Tait. Both are just as good as their opposites in the Saxons team. It shows the wealth of talent we have when you have the likes of Sinbad, Strettle, Sackey, Ashton, Bananaman all competing for places and with the Volcano buying into a place a the table, its going to be allot more difficult but, regardless of who gets in, the result will always be a good one!

If only one could say that about places 10, 12 and 13. A flood of talent old and new but nobody seems to notice.

the selection, its not all good. glad to see vainikolo in there, yes, despite the fact he isnt exactly english. but balshaw? mmm Ashton does want a mix of youth and experience, but balshaw? as far as i can see, the only reason balshaw is in the team is cuz he's been made to look good with anthony allen, ryan lamb, simpon-daniel, tindall and vainikolo all around him. and of those 5 only 2 others are in the squad. i feel sorry for lamb but if cipriani has made it this far, i hope he gets his chance on the international stage. as for hipkiss but into the saxons. i question it mainly because flood has made it ahead of him, and he isn't exactly great. i guess you can say it looks to be one step in the right direction, but only one step.

I nearly fell off my chair when I read they hadn't picked Farrell. I had a smile on my face obviously, but had just expected him to be picked again no matter what.

Of course no sooner had I regained my balance than reading Balshaw's name almost sent me sprawling again. How many **** games does he have to play before he gets discarded for good? It's criminal that him and Noon have made it into the main squad ahead of Hipkiss and Sinbad.

Will certainly be interested to see how Ashton goes for the Saxons. Give him the ball in space and this guy will score tries, it's as simple as that. There's no substitute for raw pace, and the guy has that in spades.

I do see method here to his madness, if you examine the statistics, Allen, Lamb & Varndell especially have problems with missed tackles and teams are increasingly targeting them. They can get away with it however by burying the bad news by scoring tries but mostly making blistering runs.

I guess it is a case of the positives outweighing the negatives but against some of the best playmakers in South Africa, Australia and New Zealand however, they could be serious liabilities until they get more experience.

Latest posts