• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Dallaglio launches Wasps' St George's Day Game at No.10

B

Bullitt

http://www.guinnesspremiership.com/12582.php

0910_dallalglio_st_george_launch.jpg

Former London Wasps, England, and Lions rugby legend, Lawrence Dallaglio, today met with Prime Minister Gordon Brown at No 10 to launch London Wasps annual St George's Day Game.
The game, which will be played at Twickenham Stadium against Bath in Round 21 of the Guinness Premiership on the 24th April 2010, KO 5.30pm, will not only celebrate St George's Day but will raise money for Help for Heroes, an organisation that supports service personnel injured in combat.

Joining Dallaglio at No 10 were Mark Elliott, Chief of Staff who spent 25 Years in the Grenadier Guards and was involved in setting up Help for Heroes, and rugby loving serviceman Derek Derenalagi, who was severely injured in Afghanistan in July 2007.

The trio joined Mr Brown, unveiling the special St George's Day Game jersey that will be worn at the home of English rugby on the 24th April, and carried the matchball that Dallaglio intends to take on his own visit to Afghanistan in March.

Joining forces with Help for Heroes, a charity that has forged a great link with sport, the Club will donate a minimum of £1 per ticket. Along with other fundraising initiatives and an ambition to sell out the 82,000 capacity stadium, Wasps are determined to contribute a six figure sum to this fantastic charitable fund.

Speaking today the Prime Minister said, "I am delighted to back the London Wasps St George's Day Game in support of Help for Heroes. St George's Day is a time to celebrate all that is good about this country. This match, which is certain to be a great game between two great teams, is a chance to do just that, whilst backing some of the people we can be most proud of on St George's Day, our brave servicemen and women."

Gathering the support of Prime Minister Gordon Brown, and with ticket sales already surpassing the 15,000 mark, there is already momentum and great support behind the initiative. With an agreement in place with the Rugby Football Union to host this game at Twickenham for the next three years, this fixture is set up as a great opportunity for Wasps and wider rugby fans to celebrate St George's Day and get behind a worthy charitable cause.

----------------------------------------------------

2 Points of note:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Speaking today the Prime Minister said, "I am delighted to back the London Wasps St George's Day Game in support of Help for Heroes. St George's Day is a time to celebrate all that is good about this country.[/b]
Does this mean that the Scot is admitting the existence of England instead of this fictional kingdom called "Britain"?

2. That is actually a very good looking shirt.

1. The shirt will look good once it's off Dayglow.
2. Since when is England a country? :D

Well I studied Scottish opinions on Scottishness, and one of the main reasons many of them were proud to be Scots is because it meant they didn't have to be grouped in the same country as the English. So maybe Brown's just highlighting the distinction.

And it is a nice shirt, reinds me of the RLWC England shirt - which was also nice.

There is a lot of Civic Nationalism in Scotland. Theres a lot more to Scottish patriotism than just "not being English."

Having a St Georges day fixture is part of a belated process to instill this same feeling of Civic pride in English culture and traditions. Stuff which had been officially discouraged over the space of around 20 years or so but in the end backfired as it leaves an open goal to racist scum who exploit the flag and the word "England" for their own purposes.

Fair play, good on him trying to bring back pride on St Georges day,
It's got to a point where alot of people just associate the English flag with football yobs

Also, when i read the ***le, i thought Dallaglio would be playing at flyhalf

Latest posts