• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Dan Biggar

O

ollybarkley

I've been watching Dan Biggar since the U-20 tourney and wonder if Wales may have found their replacement for Stephen Jones as the counter-balance/potential threat to James Hook's grasp on the #10 shirt for Wales.

As a fellow physically limited #10, I have admired Stephen Jones for a long time. I have watched his career with admiration as he has fought through adversity to become one of the best Fly-halves in the world, and one of the most well-rounded rugby players I have seen. Stephen Jones was not blessed with being a fluid natural athlete. He was never very fast, nor was he particularly nimble, but he was strong and most of all he was determined. He evolved his game to the point that he became a reliable kicker, both tactically and from the floor, he developed a very good distribution game, became arguably the 2nd best defensive 10 in Northern Hemisphere rugby behind Johnny, and developed into enough of a running threat that he made defenses take notice of him, thus opening up space for those outside him.

But what I feel set Jones apart from many others, especially from Hook, was his mental game. Jones is a leader. He learned from another physically limited, but determined and hard working FH Neil Jenkins. Jones took the gifts he had and made it work as best he could. He became the student of the game, developing his command presence and tactical game. He became a very strong in-game manager and organizer, as well as an excellent decision-maker.

In Dan Biggar, I feel Wales may have found a younger, slightly more naturally athletic version of Stephen Jones.

Biggar seems to have already surpassed Hook in terms of game management and command presence. Ospreys and Wales seem to have more shape and cohesion when Biggar is at 10. He has a solid kicking game, is a respectable defender, and he is a highly efficient option taker and decision maker. His distribution skills are highly evolved, and his long, looping miss passes are a thing of beauty; the combination of vision and weight on the pass are reminiscent of Andrew Mehrtens in his prime throwing his arching miss passes to Cullen, Lomu, and Umanga in space.

Pretty much summed up Biggar to a tee there. Biggar's not the quickest guy, but has a good step on him, I've seen quite a few searing breaks from him in the past (at under 20's mind). But as you've alluded to, his best qualities are his game managment and his unbelievable passing. He passes the ball with pinpoint accuracy off his right and left, easily unlocking the rush defense.

Myself and a few others believe he's already surpassed Hook, the entire backline starts ticking as soon as he comes onto the field for the O's, something which doesn't happen when Hook is there. There are lot's of things Hook can learn from this 19y/o, as there's alot of things Biggar can learn off Hook. In those two, we have a very bright future ahead of us at 10 for Wales, Biggar being the star, not Hook.

It looks like he'll be on the bench for the NZ and who knows, mayb he'll get a chance to be part of the biggest game of his life. He won't be starting, but Stephen Jones may get injured or might have an off day, I don't think Gatland will mind bringing Biggar onto the field if things aren't going right. He has the ability to unlock every defense. Star in the making.

Firstly, I wouldn't say Hook has a hold of the ten jersey at the moment.
Secondly, I agree with Dullonien. Give it two or three years and Biggar will be our first choice ten with Hook on the bench - if he's lucky.
It's so great we've got so many talented youngsters coming through, for a change. :D

Naaaa bugger that. Hook and Biggar are passed it! Matthew Jarvis at Neath is the future! :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Nov 18 2008, 12:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Naaaa bugger that. Hook and Biggar are passed it! Matthew Jarvis at Neath is the future! :p[/b]

Pfft! Uneducated shite!!

Stephen Harries at Gorseinon under 8's is the future!!!

This really isn't fair, Wales have Jones, Hook and Biggar.

We have Godman, Parks and Jackson (Good prospect from Glasgow)

I'd take Jackson to be Scotland's 10 during the 6 Nations, I think he is already better than Godman and Parks. (Admitedly not saying much)

(Sorry about two posts, I got a message saying the first had encountered an error and couldn't be posted)

Sometimes I dont really view Hook as an out and out fly half, I tend to see him as a superbly talented player who just happens to play at 10

Over the years the main critism of Hooky has been that he is unable to control a game, yet when he finally gets his chance to stake a claim ahead of the Championship decider he spends the whole Italy game kicking the ball away

I've also watched Biggar for a long time and see him as the eventual successor from Stephen Jones, his tacital kicking is far superior to that of Hooks and his passing is sublime. The only thing that Hook has over Dan is place kicking but as long as Halfpenny and Henson are in the team then I wouldn't worry so much about that

I used to really rate Hook, not now though, he just picks the wrong options all the time.
Dan Biggar is a very talented youngster though.
Hook needs to sort his act out, hes an amazing runner with ball in hand, just doesn't have that game management, and everytime he throws a long miss pass, its almost nearly an interception.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Nov 18 2008, 12:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Naaaa bugger that. Hook and Biggar are passed it! Matthew Jarvis at Neath is the future! :p[/b]

He had 5 mins for the U20s the other night didnt he?

Why isn't Biggar in the U20s?, is there a rule that you can't if you've had a full welsh cap or something?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ozzay @ Mar 16 2009, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I used to really rate Hook, not now though, he just picks the wrong options all the time.
Dan Biggar is a very talented youngster though.
Hook needs to sort his act out, hes an amazing runner with ball in hand, just doesn't have that game management, and everytime he throws a long miss pass, its almost nearly an interception.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Nov 18 2008, 12:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]
i thought Jason Tovey looked good for u20s and dragons

P Turner rates him and Turner was probably the best flyhalf to play for wales since phill benett.. shame just one cap as he had an argument with the WRU

Tovey looks like he is going to be class. Hopefully he'll carry on progressing next season under the Dragons and then possibly be snapped up by the Blues to play at 10 and develop further.

Anyone else watch scrum v on the weekend. I noticed Sam Warberton was playing for Aberavon (I think) in the Principality and scored a great solo try, has he only just returned, and if so, how long till he'll be getting his chance at the Blues? He's the player I'm most excited about as he looks to have the lot as a 6/7, including intelligence.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Apr 1 2009, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Anyone else watch scrum v on the weekend. I noticed Sam Warberton was playing for Aberavon (I think) in the Principality and scored a great solo try, has he only just returned, and if so, how long till he'll be getting his chance at the Blues? He's the player I'm most excited about as he looks to have the lot as a 6/7, including intelligence.[/b]

Yes his return to the Blues set up is imminent as they have just registered him for the QF of HEC. He is rated higher than Robin Sowden-Taylor at the Blues.

Awesome, so Gatland should expect an even bigger headache picking his backrow soon? Imo Warberton will be Wales' future blindise flanker, with Ben Lewis alongside him at openside.

Whatever happend to James Merriman? He was an outstanding young player at Gloucester that seemed destined for great things yet his talent never really bossomed?

I have no idea danny! Is he still on the Gloucester books?

Just seen that Warberton has been named in the Blues starting 15 to play Edinburough. He's been selected at 8, I'll be looking forward to seeing how he goes.

I would tell you what has happened to Merriman but I don't fancy being ridiculed for it! *Cough* by a certain someone.

???? Oh do tell... or all sorts of things will come into my head. Maybe you've got him in your basement for your own pleasures.................. see what I mean! :p

I thought Sam Warburton was a 7??? Maybe I dreamt that one up... Im hoping he has a decent game, hes up against ally hogg though.

As for Dan Biggar, Ive not seen much of him yet, although all I hear is good things.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Apr 1 2009, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
???? Oh do tell... or all sorts of things will come into my head. Maybe you've got him in your basement for your own pleasures.................. see what I mean! :p[/b]

It won't really shock you.

Merriman signed for the Ospreys and Neath soon after he was released by Glaws. His regional contract was not renewed and nhe never played for the Ospreys and Merriman went back to Neath. After 4 seasons (I think) he was released early this year in which no one really knows what for.

The reason why he failed to make it at Glaws and the Ospreys is because of his size he is relatively small in stature.

Ah ok, obviously wasn't good enough as the one thing the Ospreys can do is develop youngsters into quality players.

Latest posts