• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Dan Carter: HEC = S14

S

shazbooger

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
"The game was very similar to what I am used to in Super 14 - the standard was just as high,"[/b]

Ahhh well okay, not very controversial at all. In fact he managed to say nothing at all, but in the interest of trolling an old arguement that can never be won, I offer this to the various parties.

To summarise .............. Kellegher and Marshall have clearly stated that NH is better, nicer people, better food etc. Carter is sitting on the fence.

Did Freddie say anything about S14? Did he even get a game? HAS ANYONE BEEN KEEPING SCORE!

Jesus Christ has he been taking lessons from Declan Kidney? He might as well have said nothing at all.

Heineken cup FTW!!!1!!eleven!!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Dec 15 2008, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
"The game was very similar to what I am used to in Super 14 - the standard was just as high,"[/b]

Ahhh well okay, not very controversial at all. In fact he managed to say nothing at all, but in the interest of trolling an old arguement that can never be won, I offer this to the various parties.

To summarise .............. Kellegher and Marshall have clearly stated that NH is better, nicer people, better food etc. Carter is sitting on the fence.

Did Freddie say anything about S14? Did he even get a game? HAS ANYONE BEEN KEEPING SCORE!
[/b][/quote]

it's 11-7 but not sure who that's in favour of, ow feckin splinters

The problem with the S14's is that there isn't a great deal of variety. The player bases are absolutely huge; the games intense, and that obviously shows at an international level, but it's still relegated to the big three.

The problem with Argentina is obviously the flight times, same applies to a Californian team. I see no reason why Japanese and Islander teams couldn't be incorporated though. Japanese rugby has made some solid progress, and there is a potentially huge untapped market there. Whenever i've been in Japan i've noticed their love of contact sports, the market is also rather uncompetitive (only NFL and Soccer really, as far as football goes). They would probably experience a huge learning curve against established S 14 sides, yet through importing players from Curry/ANZ comps they could be competitive. It would also give native players more experience playing high-intensity rugby.

The benefits of islander teams is obvious, if they play down here the seasons would be standardised, meaning they would be released for national duty during the PNC. Some teams would have to play their 'home' games in either Sydney/Brisbane/Auckland but I think it's already been mentioned that the huge expat populations (specifically in Auckland) along with general interest may sell tickets.

Is the HEC a better comp? It offers a great deal of variety, but generally speaking if the games were of a higher intensity etc. then it would be reflected at an international level.

Paging Ripper to thread, advise he think up ways of explaining how Dan Carter has some serious mental illness/is a crap player/a has-been/etc...

Why not settle this once and for all by having a Heineken Cup Winners vs Super 14 game played at the beginning of June in somewhere like Japan.

That's near the end of both seasons for the two teams.

I genuinely believe that Heineken Cup rugby is certainly no worse than Super Rugby. The intensity is huge from the first pool games, and the only mickey mouse fixtures come against the Italian sides. There are around 15 awesome sides in Europe which means each of the 5 pools has 3 teams going for 1 position, because getting through to the quarters is far from certain if you come 2nd. Playing home and away, that means a minimum of 4 really high intensity games for each team before Christmas.

Then there's the whole knockout aspect, which comes with the usual thrills.

Super 14 players are certainly more skilled and fitter. They play a different brand of rugby that suits the SANZAR nations better when it comes to international rugby. But I'm not sure the games quite have the tension and intensity you get in every HEC game.

I was totally expecting Dan Carter to come out and say something bad about the competition he's being paid a lot of money to play in...

I can't believe he'd say something totally predictable from a professional sportsman...

Anyways, it's official... Dan Carter said something so it must be fact... :rolleyes:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Dec 16 2008, 12:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I was totally expecting Dan Carter to come out and say something bad about the competition he's being paid a lot of money to play in...

I can't believe he'd say something totally predictable from a professional sportsman...

Anyways, it's official... Dan Carter said something so it must be fact... :rolleyes:[/b]

I was not expecting him to despise the competition he's playing; he is being paid very well to play it. Having said that he started versus Leicester and this is one of the very best clubs of this competition. The match may have been less intense versus a different team such as Treviso for example.

Just to clarify. This post was only a wind up. I think what Carter said was so neutral, so pointless, that it was worth a post in itself.

The fact that some of the SH guys actually believe that the HEC is not even at a par with the S14 is kinda funny though.

Both comps suck lets do away with them all and just go back to playing Rugby for the love of it and not for the money.

I want to know what players like Frederic Michalak have to say about the SH because he played in S14 last season and from what I saw of him he was really good.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Dec 15 2008, 11:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Why not settle this once and for all by having a Heineken Cup Winners vs Super 14 game played at the beginning of June in somewhere like Japan.[/b]

It would be awesome! Just like in soccer with the Intercontinental Club Cup, which is played in Japan too......... ;)
Japan = money B)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Dec 16 2008, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Both comps suck lets do away with them all and just go back to playing Rugby for the love of it and not for the money.

I want to know what players like Frederic Michalak have to say about the SH because he played in S14 last season and from what I saw of him he was really good.[/b]

Back in France he mainly insisted on the fitness preparation that he had to follow during the two months prior to the beginning of the competition. He took 5 kg of muscles! This was the key point on which he insisted. He was in a SA side and we know how physical is SA Rugby. He didn't comment too much on the other aspects.

Latest posts