Dannie Rossouw to retire at the end of the season

Holiver

Academy Player
Country Flag
France
Club or Nation
Toulon
77447852_3133241.jpg

Toulon and World Cup-winning Springbok forward Danie Rossouw has told La Provence he will retire at the end of the season.

Rossouw, who will turn 36 in June, lifted the Rugby World Cup with South Africa in France in 2007.

The former Bulls and Suntory Goliath forward has been with the European champions since last year.

His time with Toulon has been blighted by injury but he returned to action in February after four months out, starting in the second row in the Heineken Cup quarter-final and semi-final wins against Leinster and Munster.

In a decorative career, Rossouw was collected three Currie Cup ***les, three Super Rugby ***les (both with the Bulls), a Tri-Nations ***le and a series win over the British and Irish Lions.

"I've made ​​my decision, I'll stop, this is my last season," Rossouw told La Provence.

"I'm going to play in the remaining matches this season and give it everything I've got."

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_9289378,00.html

One of my favourite players and a Springbok hero!

His try-saving tackle in the 2007 World Cup Final will be forever etched in my memory.

Now he can come back home.

One of my favourite players and a Springbok hero!

His try-saving tackle in the 2007 World Cup Final will be forever etched in my memory.

Now he can come back home.

Wasn't that Bakkies Botha?

I remember Rossouw for the line-out penalty he gave away against Aus in the 2011 RWC semi- not that that 1 single incident caused the loss though rather just one part of the Lawrence show that stickes out because I thought... right, McCabe (or was it AAC) tackles two SA players at the same time around the neck (as just a single example) but you penalize that (not that it wasn't a legit penalty but just he was only reffing one team that day)...

Wasn't that Bakkies Botha?

I remember Rossouw for the line-out penalty he gave away against Aus in the 2011 RWC semi- not that that 1 single incident caused the loss though rather just one part of the Lawrence show that stickes out because I thought... right, McCabe (or was it AAC) tackles two SA players at the same time around the neck (as just a single example) but you penalize that (not that it wasn't a legit penalty but just he was only reffing one team that day)...

Geez! how bad is your memory?? I have watched that game probably 100 times! it was Danie Rossouw, and he tackled Mark Cueto.

Geez! how bad is your memory?? I have watched that game probably 100 times! it was Danie Rossouw, and he tackled Mark Cueto.

Well, TBH I am known for having a pretty terrible memory. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Well, TBH I am known for having a pretty terrible memory. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

no no, it actually was Botha. heineken just went all out, took a big gamble, thinking to save face he'd start insulting your memory in an angry post so you'd just back off and concede you were "wrong" without verifying....

no no, it actually was Botha. heineken just went all out, took a big gamble, thinking to save face he'd start insulting your memory in an angry post so you'd just back off and concede you were "wrong" without verifying....

No!! it was actually DANIE ROSSOUW!! WHO PLAYED NO. 8 IN THE FINAL!!!!!! :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
No, no, you are both wrong. Upon close inspection it is clear it was Cueto himself who didn't score a try with no help from Rossouw.

we was robbed i tellya

That's kinda what competitive sport comes down to; the opposition trying their best to rob you of victory. Maybe if you had a wing with any ability things might have gone differently. Anyway England has a good squad now, good team work and home advantage in 2015 so you're in with a good shout of 'setting the record stragiht'.

Except we woz robbed by the Aussie TMO...

(I guess it would have been arrogant for us to win two World Cups in a row, and we're not known for arrogance...)

Except we woz robbed by the Aussie TMO...

(I guess it would have been arrogant for us to win two World Cups in a row, and we're not known for arrogance...)

except, the score would have been 8-9 if the try was allowed. you wouldn't have won, but the score would've been closer...

My tongue was firmly in cheeky :) , I'm not going to seriously suggest we should have won. Its a miracle we even got to the final!

Wait a few hours for the NZers to come here with their 2007 claims of shenanigans (Barnes) after which us Saffas and the French will bring up 2011 (Lawrence and Joubert)...

Latest posts