Danny Cipriani Leaves Melbourne Rebels

nickdnz

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
Melbourne Rebels' English import Danny Cipriani has left the Super Rugby club.
It's believed to be by mutual agreement.
Cipriani, who has played seven Tests for England, had been set to leave the Rebels at the end of the season after signing with the Sale Sharks in northern England.
The 24-year-old five-eighth had a troubled first year with Melbourne in 2011 and was sidelined for a month due to off-field disciplinary issues.
But the Englishman appeared more settled this season, seemingly relishing his growing combination with Wallabies backline stars James O'Connor and Kurtley Beale.
However his form wasn't good in his last match and there was talk of him being relegated to the bench.
It's a blow for the Rebels who have lost O'Connor until June after he suffered liver damage in their last-start loss to the NSW Waratahs
http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/news/article/-/13556991/cipriani-and-melbourne-rebels-split/

You'd have to imagine that he's doe something stupid. Otherwise why get rid of your first choice 10 midway through the season?

That's really bad timing by them... But this all the more sounds like an easy 5 pointer for the Bulls Saturday...

It's odd, "mutual consent" is never that.
However, after Beale's performance at 10 last game maybe Rebels have said to him "you're not going to be first choice 10 anymore" and then he's asked if he can be released to do preseason with Sale?

I'm not too fussed anyway, as he can now have a proper rest and a full preseason going in to next season for us :D

He misses the weather and tea from back home
All in all a big disappointment, never up to S15 standard imho

Last edited:
Hardly a disappointment, he's been really good for the Rebels considering the pack they have.

Got to love the speculation that goes on. He's not been sacked like so many are hoping to see.

He misses the weather and tea from back home
All in all a big disappointment, never up to S15 standard imho

Abolute rubbish mate. As Cymro says, he and the other backs have played behind a sh*te front five(some athleticism but little grunt) with too few carriers and a poor set piece. I think the lot of them have done pretty well all things considered, (we all know Cipriani and Cooper Vuna are defensively frail but Cipriani is still chosen despite that).
Silly of the Rebels coaching team to think all they needed was the 'three amigos'

Along with this news:

Stirling Mortlock will play his first game this season for the Rebels over the weekend.

According to Cips' tweets, the Rebels want to start building for next season - and if thats the case, he might as well get a proper rest and pre-season with Sale. Which makes sense to me.

Guys, what I am trying to say is the matches he did play he was a weak on defence, at times he looked scared to me.
Sure he has great talent and is a darling in many people's eyes, just thought he never lived up to the hype in Super 15 Southern Hemisphere style of rugby.

Good luck to him back in England, would love to see him play against the Springboks

Sure he has great talent and is a darling in many people's eyes, just thought he never lived up to the hype in Super 15 Southern Hemisphere style of rugby.

Dry conditions and 15-man sevens play should have suited him a peach. It's the heavy-going, forward-dominated mid winter matches when he suffers. Or under a high ball. Or when anyone runs at him. Or he needs to kick the ball clear.

Dry conditions and 15-man sevens play should have suited him a peach. It's the heavy-going, forward-dominated mid winter matches when he suffers. Or under a high ball. Or when anyone runs at him. Or he needs to kick the ball clear.

and he wants to play for England again?

has Cipriani been charged down at all at the Melbourne Rebels?
He has, but in the same match so were O'Connor, Beale and Phipps, so I think it was the forward blockers that weren't doing their job rather than him.

Cipriani is also good under the high ball and has a good kicking game (restarts especially good).
Seems some people are living in the past.

Someone is getting defensive about the new signing already... It'll likely draw comparisons to Bath fans crowing when they signed Donald.

Hardly, I've always been a fan of Cipriani, if he's **** for us then I'll say it but why not give him a chance before wheeling out the 3year old cliches?

Tell you what, I'll stop going on all the evidence we have to talk of his play... When he can consistently demonstrate the ability to not be pulled up on the aforementioned faults in his game. :)

Latest posts