• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

De La Salle College vs Mt. Albert Grammar School

M

mimic

When: 2:30pm, Saturday 18th August
Where: Eden Park

Didn't know where else to post this, but yeah, thought it would be interesting, considering the Auckland Schools comptition is the tighest around :p

Both teams have only lost one match each this year in the round robin stages.
Last time these two teams met, MAGS won, although it was a controversial victory at that. Very poor officiating at the game. Hopefully it will be better this time round, as this match will be played at Eden Park.

These two teams though have been both the stand out teams and deserve to be in the final. It's also rare to see none of Kelston, Kings, or Auckland Grammar make the semi finals. It would be like Auckland, Canterbury, and the Brumbies missing out on the semis in the Super14.

Just goes to show how tough this competition really is :p

Should be a great match as both teams have great attacking abilities, as well as great defence. This match is anybodies game!

If you're unfamiliar with these 2 schools, MAGS have brought out talents like David Smith, and on the league side Sonny Bill Williams, as well as many more. De La Salle have brought out talents like Isaia Toeava, Taniela Moa, and John Kirwan!

So I wouldn't be surprised if future stars will be at this game :)

SEMI FINALS:
De La Salle 20-11 St. Pauls
MAGS 28-15 Tamaki College

De La Salle finished top of the table. De La Salle are tight favourites to win, but yeah, should be a cracker.

St. Pauls had their league players playing for their 1st XV, so that's probably why they were very strong. I hear 3 of those players that were in the 1st XV are headed over to the Bulldogs next year.

hopefully whoever wins makes the top 4 final and meets Wellington college there if we can make it too!

we have this AAAAMAZING fullback named Buxton Leavave or something, definately keep an eye out for him in the future. every touch of the ball, he creates something out of nothing. in their final here, they played with 14 men for most of the match and he basically won that game for them alone. i know they say rugby is a team game but this guy is amazing to watch.. beautiful hahah

MAGS 27-18 De La Salle

Very intense game. MAGS were lucky to get a try at the end of the game to make the scoreline look more comfortable.

Pity about the weather though!

ha! congrats mags..im an ex-student..dont have that many sports stars as say a kelston or auckland boys...

olo brown (allblack great),sonny bill williams (bulldogs), thomas leuluai (super league),ray sefo (world heavyweight kick boxing champion) and steve matai (manly sea eagles)

proberly our most legendary sportsplayer would be brian williams..1st samoan allblack and uncle to sonny bill..

congrats on mags once again!..finally did it!

Gisborne Boys are the National Champs. De La Salle must be spewing cos they beat them in pre-season LOL!

I was surprised Christchurch Boys didn't make the Top 4

I was surprised Hamiltion Boys didnt win it. They were clear cut favourites for the ***le. :(

Yeah BOOOOYYY M.A.G.S. represent whaaattt!! Great stuff!!

Does anyone know if Massey High School made it to the Nationals?

ha! congrats mags..im an ex-student..dont have that many sports stars as say a kelston or auckland boys...

olo brown (allblack great),sonny bill williams (bulldogs), thomas leuluai (super league),ray sefo (world heavyweight kick boxing champion) and steve matai (manly sea eagles)

proberly our most legendary sportsplayer would be brian williams..1st samoan allblack and uncle to sonny bill..

congrats on mags once again!..finally did it! [/b]

I thought Joe Stanley was the 1st Samoan All Black but after a bit of research, it ended up as this:

http://stats.allblacks.com/Profile.asp?ABID=816

If you're unfamiliar with these 2 schools, MAGS have brought out talents like David Smith, and on the league side Sonny Bill Williams, as well as many more. De La Salle have brought out talents like Isaia Toeava, Taniela Moa, and John Kirwan!

So I wouldn't be surprised if future stars will be at this game :)
[/b]

So are there any players to mention to keep an eye out on?

187 mentioned Buxton (edit) - Leutulava. Yeah I've heard about him who plays at fullback - one position where Wellington needs to improve on for the no. of top-performing fullbacks available. We don't have that many good ones.

oh reals?..mr.soloman?...interesting...maybe b.g williams shot to mind because of they crazy stuff that was happening in his era when the spring bokkes toured nz and all the racist crap went on...

anyways good to know..any players of notice?..ive lost contact with the junior grades and school football all together but you will notice a large majority of mt albert players in the ponsonby rugby team in the coming years...they are direct feeders to auckland npc and are a link for many school balls to pro rugby

oh reals?..mr.soloman?...interesting...maybe b.g williams shot to mind because of they crazy stuff that was happening in his era when the spring bokkes toured nz and all the racist crap went on...

anyways good to know..any players of notice?..ive lost contact with the junior grades and school football all together but you will notice a large majority of mt albert players in the ponsonby rugby team in the coming years...they are direct feeders to auckland npc and are a link for many school balls to pro rugby [/b]

True and yes there were a couple of MAGS and one De la Salle players from the NZ Secondary Schools team that played in that final which I've highlighted - also indicated is the Wellington fullback (Leutulava) mentioned earlier:

2007 New Zealand Schools squad (province): Willie Afuvai (Palmerston North BHS, Manawatu), Nicholas Annear (Timaru BHS, South Canterbury), Kane Barrett (Francis Douglas Memorial College, Taranaki), Joshua Blucher (Takapuna Grammar, North Harbour), Trent Boswell-Wakefield (Napier BHS, Hawke’s Bay), Ben Botica (Westlake BHS, North Harbour), Mitchell Campbell (New Plymouth BHS, Taranaki), Jason Church (Hamilton BHS, Waikato), Todd Curtis (Francis Douglas Memorial College, Taranaki), Elliot Dixon (St Bede’s College, Canterbury), Daniel Faleafa (Mt Albert Grammar, Auckland), Siosaia Fia (Palmerston North BHS, Manawatu), Sean Haloholo (Mt Albert Grammar, Auckland), TJ Ioane (Wellington College, Wellington), Murray Iti (Hamilton BHS, Waikato), Tawera Kerr-Barlow (Hamilton BHS, Waikato), Patrick Leafa (Sacred Heart College, Auckland), Faatiga Lemalu (De La Salle College, Auckland), Rick McKenna (Francis Douglas Memorial College, Taranaki), Tim Nanai-Williams (Manurewa HS, Counties Manukau), Michael Newman (Timaru BHS, South Canterbury), Charlie Ngatai (Gisborne BHS, Poverty Bay), Brendon O'Connor (Gisborne BHS, Poverty Bay), Robert Robinson (Southland BHS, Southland), Alex Ryan (St Bede’s College, Canterbury), Pomare Samupo (Gisborne BHS, Poverty Bay), Buxton Sasi Leutulava (Wellington College, Wellington), Sio Savea (Rongotai College, Wellington)

http://www.harbourrugby.co.nz/nhr_news.html

I was surprised Hamiltion Boys didnt win it. They were clear cut favourites for the ***le. :(
[/b]

they wer clearly suppose 2 take it out big time,but they only had 2 days 2 recover before the semi final game against gisbourne,they were playing with alot of injured players from their previous crunch match against wesley college,which was a great match 2 watch.hard luck on hamilton

Latest posts