• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Deans Sacked McKenzie To Be Named Coach Of The Wallabies

OK so if we are soooooo ****, then which fat kids can we recruit from NZ to make us good :)

Matt "Who ate all the dropkicks?" Dunning, of course.
Australia really have a horrendous track record for props.
Guy Shepardson, Rodney whatever, Ben(n) Alexander, Ben(n) Robinson

That'll be Rodziila

Then there's Sekope Kepu, James Slipper, Salesi Ma’afu, Ben Daley, Pek Cowan & David Fitter

Bill Young was the last decent prop they had back in 2000, and he was only ever any good when Owen Finnegan played (and illegally bound onto him instead of the loosehead lock behind him)

That'll be Rodziila

Then there's Sekope Kepu, James Slipper, Salesi Ma'afu, Ben Daley, Pek Cowan & David Fitter

Bill Young was the last decent prop they had back in 2000, and he was only ever any good when Owen Finnegan played (and illegally bound onto him instead of the loosehead lock behind him)

Slipper and Bent, two names fit for Aussie/Irish props.

That'll be Rodziila

Then there's Sekope Kepu, James Slipper, Salesi Ma'afu, Ben Daley, Pek Cowan & David Fitter

I agree. I honestly don't think we've had as good a front row as a decade ago when it was Billy Young/Jeremy Paul/Ben Darwin or Patricio Noriega.

Matt was actually Canadian born, and his brother played for us briefly.....does anyone have footage of his interception? The one where I think (was it the Blues?) wasted a 5 on 1 with only Dunning defending and Matt made an intercept which led to a huge break down the middle of the field...it's honestly one of the most awesome things I've ever seen in rugby.

Not as awesome as his dropped goal when his team needed to score four tries make it to the playoffs

Its worth another look!!!

just...just... just..... AWSOME!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt was actually Canadian born, and his brother played for us briefly.....does anyone have footage of his interception? The one where I think (was it the Blues?) wasted a 5 on 1 with only Dunning defending and Matt made an intercept which led to a huge break down the middle of the field...it's honestly one of the most awesome things I've ever seen in rugby.

Yep, and there they are...BOTH of Fat Boy's intercepts

MODS: Sorry about posting two posts to answer one quote, but that's what happens when the forum software won't allow more than ONE video per post.

Last edited by a moderator:
My favourite part of that video:

2ut5bte.jpg

Toby Smith is heading to Oz - he'll be in the Wallabies next year.

Toby Smith is heading to Oz - he'll be in the Wallabies next year.
Interesting.

I have a co-worker heading over too - though not a rugby player at all (though he does watch it) - might end up in the Wallabies as well.

Interesting.

I have a co-worker heading over too - though not a rugby player at all (though he does watch it) - might end up in the Wallabies as well.

I think that'd meet the minimum requirements? Could he play front row?

Interesting.

Will this be another "I go for the All Blacks and any team playing against Australia" type of kiwi who knows "everything" about rugby and isn't afraid to let you know about it?

Exciting times when a new coach comes in. I really rate Ewan while I think Deans is a good coach as well but I have a suspicion McKenzie might be a better fit for Oz.

So who will replace McKenzie? Can't really think of any top class coaches on the market right now, but they do have some time to find a replacement.

So who will replace McKenzie? Can't really think of any top class coaches on the market right now, but they do have some time to find a replacement.

Ewen McKenzie isn't the current coach of the Reds - Richard Graham took over last season with McKenzie moving to a Director of Rugby position, which was done in anticipation McKenzie would get this job.

The Irony for me is, that the last great prop the Aussies had, IMHO was Ewen Mckenzie... Now that he's the coach, maybe he'll focus on the propping situation.

Ewen McKenzie isn't the current coach of the Reds - Richard Graham took over last season with McKenzie moving to a Director of Rugby position, which was done in anticipation McKenzie would get this job.

That i something I did not know, explains the slight change in style for them this year.

Yeah I'd imagine we'd be in a much better position if the money blown on all the flashy leagies was invested in grass roots rugby. It's no wonder rugby is the 4th code here when you see how well the other codes are set up developing their youth. I went to one of the rugby schools in Sydney and it was always such a shame to see so much talent snatched up by Toyota cup league teams (u21?) because they had the money. Rugby doesn't offer anything to young players that compares unless you are a superstar eg Beale, cooper, brand O'Connor.
It's a pity Ben franks didn't stay, damn kiwis stealing all our props :p

All the development money should go to frontrowers. The rest can be poached from league.

Now, a bit more seriously, I do rate Benn Robinson. And I think that Kepu is a decent tighthead (I know that for the #2 nation in world rugby you'd expect more), but Deans' obsession with playing Alexander at tighthead just shows that he never thought scrummaging was important at all. The few games where Deans picked a scrum-oriented forward pack I think they've done ok (first 20 minutes against France in 2012 or last year's TRC against the AB or last year's series against Wales). Basically, whenever Alexander started or came on, he would concede penalties immediately.
Basically their tightheads are either absolute crap in the scrum and decent in the loose or the other way round. You need him at least to be decent-decent or good-crap.

Latest posts