• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Dear Ireland...

C

cyRil

yellowcard.jpg

That's what a yellow card looks like, mmkay?

Big time fail. You cheating gyppos deserved about 3 of those funny card things, but like you give a ****! Enjoy an easy victory and have a Guinness on me!

haha. Probably deserved a yellow, were certainly offside the majority of the match in defense.

However, at least three of the panalties given against Ireland were pure bullshit. The ref was obsesed with the tackler releasing the ball, even though the ball had already been turned over!

Lee Burne was a disgrace today. He always throws the ball away over the touchline, and it was about time he got penalised for doing it!

I agree the ref's interpretation was stupid, but if he's gonna play it that way and give so many penalties, they should have been duly punished right? They can't say it was all one-way traffic either, cuz one of those daft penalties led to their first try.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Mar 13 2010, 04:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I agree the ref's interpretation was stupid, but if he's gonna play it that way and give so many penalties, they should have been duly punished right? They can't say it was all one-way traffic either, cuz one of those daft penalties led to their first try.[/b]

Ref probably felt bad enough about having to enforce a rule that was made up over night without having to give a yellow for it too.

We probably should have had a yellow against us, but BOD played the ref pretty well. I think the ref was consistent, and had a good day overall.

I think the pundits had it spot in saying he didn't want to yellow card on a new rule, half the time BOD looked like he didn't have a clue why he was being penalised.

The ref was awful. He got just about everything wrong in my eyes, and should have handed out at least 2 yellows to Ireland. He was penalising Ireland for being off their feet when they wheren't, pining Wales when they realised it... I counted at least three unnoticed high tackles, too. I hope I never have to watch Craig Joubert again.

Rant over.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Mar 13 2010, 06:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I disagree, he was consistent all day which is a rare quality in a referee.[/b]

You're probably the only person i've heard say the ref had a good match.
Wait, are you backing up the ref or being sarcy by saying "consistently bad"?
Either way he was **** to both teams and i believe we deserved that yellow card, but by god, if he's giving away penalty after penalty to ireland (some of which weren't justified) he should have at least given a yellow there as well.
Where's the consistency in that?

He penalised the same offences all day, if Ireland and Wales had copped on and allowed the tackled player to release the ball straight away, there would have been very few penalties in the game, and both teams would have had plenty of quick ball.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Mar 14 2010, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You're probably the only person i've heard say the ref had a good match.[/b]
Declan Kidney himself said the ref had a good game, in that he was consistently penalising the same infringment according to the new interpretation.

The problem is that the interpretation was changed mid tournament, the players had about two days to get used to it and didnt have a clue what was happening. It was insane and you could see players from both sides looking mystified at the rule (not the ref).

Irelands first try came from one of those when the two welsh players tackled Sexton (he was chasing a kick on his own), brought him down and had an easy turnover. They got pinged though because neither of them released Sexton before re-engaging. I think thats where the quick penalty came from.

David Wallace had another one in the same position. Two irish players tackled the player, Wallace got hands on the ball and once the Welsh player went down he never released. Last week it would have been class play and a good turnover, this week because he didnt release he was pinged instantly.

Was weird seeing professional players looking so confused on the pitch, thats why the ref didnt issue any yellows.

I think those two situations you highlighted there Logorrhea caused alot of confusion. Both times, the player jackling the ball had released the player (Shane and Wallace), but it was the other tackler who hadn't released the player.

I understand the new rule, but when a player finds himself as isolated as the two above, surely then the defending team has gotta get the benefit of a doubt. Imo, they were perfectly legitimate turnovers, and the penalty should have been given the other way. It's the same kinda thing as what happened 18 months ago when ref's were told to watch for players going off their feet. For a while ref's were penalising players left, right and centre, over enforcing the rule, but it calmed down eventually. I can see the same thing happen here, ref's will soon calm down a little.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Mar 15 2010, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Imo, they were perfectly legitimate turnovers, and the penalty should have been given the other way.[/b]
Last week yes, this week unfortunately no.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Mar 15 2010, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I can see the same thing happen here, ref's will soon calm down a little.[/b]
I think the rule will stick as its already embedded down south but the players here will learn to manage it better. They only thing they'll do differently is to clearly dissengage e.g. clap their hands or something before going back in for the ball.

Latest posts