• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Definitely gonna be surprises, says Bok coach

Well if Schalk Britz and Kankowski dont make it i will not be happy! I just hope this oke knows what he is doing...

I guess you can always expect surprises from a new coach. Maybe be they'll be pleasant surprises (no quote players)

I really believe De Villiers is gonna try to win the rugby public over. He's gonna put the best line up possible imo. He claims race won't be a factor.
Could he be saying these things to keep the regular starters on their toes and give other non-capped players motivation?
In an interview I read he says he likes creating a challenging environment

<RandomMusings>
Can't wait to find out... nail.biting suspense...
In one way I'm terrified now.
In another... I know we've got the players for a great national squad.
So will the coach help or hinder?
I'm more worried about PdV making non-obvious choices "just because". Someone that optimistic and outspoken in the sort of environment he's in can't be completely sane. Or else he's got a few magic tricks up his sleeve...

Either way we need to smash Wales convincingly in both tests, otherwise the public will be calling for his head.
And let's hope the Wallabies and All Blacks are as disorganised as I think the Boks are... otherwise the Tri-Nations is going to be the usual yearly affair of SA being last...
</RandomMusings>

Though seriously, one of Big Vic, Percy and Butch won't make the squad this time around, unless PdV has once again changed his mind about the number of overseas players he'll select.
Which one will be first to go?
(assuming none of them return to SA this month)

I wouldn't worry too much about who he picks. Wales are still going to win.

*duck*

If there are no surprises it would not be South African rugby
[/b]
Well his selection record is looking good so far. Choosing excellent assistant coaches in Muir and Gold.

[/quote]
Well his selection record is looking good so far. Choosing excellent assistant coaches in Muir and Gold.
[/quote]

With all due respect... Muir's rotation policy is something PdV has explicitly said he dislikes.
How is that going to work?
Plus, neither has shone particularly bright this season.
I still think SA's top 4 coaches are Heyneke Meyer, Jake White, Pieter de Villiers and Rassie Erasmus (in no particular order).
I understand why some wouldn't be able to or want to work with PdV, but surely Rassie would have been a better choice? At least one more likely to think along the same lines as PdV...

With all due respect... Muir's rotation policy is something PdV has explicitly said he dislikes.
I still think SA's top 4 coaches are Heyneke Meyer, Jake White, Pieter de Villiers and Rassie Erasmus (in no particular order).
I understand why some wouldn't be able to or want to work with PdV, but surely Rassie would have been a better choice? At least one more likely to think along the same lines as PdV...

[/b]

PdV is still the head coach, whether or not he agrees with Muirs rotation policy really doesn't matter, there are other qualities he would be using from him and Gold.

As to Meyer, I'm pretty sure after he didn't get the bok coaching job he pretty much decided to not bother with SA rugby anymore, I think he's looking at an overseas job.

Rassie would have been a good choice too I guess, but Muir is as good as anyone for the position of assistant coach (in my opinion).

Back to the topic at hand though.
Some reports are coming in that Pieter de Villiers will not be bringing back Butch, but is considering Percy and Matfield to accompany Smit ( I'm not sure on how Percy has been playing in France, and I'm a HUGE fan of his) but surely after Pieter's complaints on SA's problem at the number 10 position, getting back a stalwart such as James would have been a good decision, considering that he's actually been playing some good rugby for Bath ?

The sunday paper "Sondag" is predicting a few odd things as well such as Luke getting called up (might happen as he is playing very well) but more interestingly Bulls reserve hooker Bandise Maku as the 3rd option behind Smit and Bismarck. Now I have no idea who Maku is or how he plays, but surely Britz has proved what a class hooker he can be ?
(unless Pieter isn't after the mobile hooker setup).

I don't trust the Sondag, they're a sensationalist paper imo, especially their headlines. But Luke Watson has been brilliant this season so his selection wouldn't be big surprise to me, although I'm sure the media will have a field day lol.

no idea about Maku. I'm no fan of Watson but he has been very good at 8 lately.
Percy at Perpignan has done well, I've seen a few of his games. Not exceptional, but still a great points machine though. I think Butch would be a bigger asset based on recent form. Damn that 3-player pseudo-rule:) there are 4 we'd like!

[/b]

I heard on the news today that PdV said the rotation policy is infact gonna be one of his main focuses. He says that the ELV's physical demand on players is the reason why. i'm unable to find a link but it was on ETV News.

Here's some news that might ease my fellow Bok supports:

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=6&am...10141537C902966

BUT we all know SARU loves to talk so until the 1st Bok XV team is annouced for the 7 June Test match, the jury is still out

Latest posts