• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Demo For Ps2

Reads just fine, thanks.

Just watched the Uruguayan drop and he catches the ball a slight step in front of the 10 metre and then take a step or two more in the animation. I'd reckon it's about a 38 metre effort -- the way it falls over the bar though, I don't think he would have made it if he was past 42 metres.

Do you mind if I ask how the kicking feels? Like, with JLR, I felt a certain satisfaction in a great big hoof that cleared to touch and went the distance. Rugby 2001 kinda had a good feel to it, and 2**4 was shi-tawful.

How would you compare it to those games?

... I don't have a great memory of the kicking in JLR to say if you'll get the same the satisfaction from R2005 (and I didn't play 2004 for long enuff to remem anything about it) ...

All I can say is that, under the cosh, defending deep, when you do get that defensive kick away (and it escapes the fullback), it is pretty satisifying. You do really need to weigh up your own preference for length over closeness to touchline... it can happen that you take too long to put enough length on the kick and don't get it close enuff to the side line and the fullback gathers for a mark inside his 22 or comes sprinting down the line to make you lose yardage or eventually a score...
... I'll tell ye what... I'll go have another go and see if I can't word this better

what is satisfying tho is the SH kick from a ruck/maul that is executed using Triangle... the animation for the over-the-shoulder type kick is really good, and you can use it to good effect

(all this tho is from easy mode, so my views may change if the AI really tightens up in medium/hard)

bought one of these last nite at 9pm. Any idea the sort of time scale it takes for one of these to arrive. I live in the UK.

Originally posted by raziel_eire@Mar 4 2005, 10:27 AM
... I don't have a great memory of the kicking in JLR to say if you'll get the same the satisfaction from R2005 (and I didn't play 2004 for long enuff to remem anything about it) ...

All I can say is that, under the cosh, defending deep, when you do get that defensive kick away (and it escapes the fullback), it is pretty satisifying. You do really need to weigh up your own preference for length over closeness to touchline... it can happen that you take too long to put enough length on the kick and don't get it close enuff to the side line and the fullback gathers for a mark inside his 22 or comes sprinting down the line to make you lose yardage or eventually a score...
... I'll tell ye what... I'll go have another go and see if I can't word this better

what is satisfying tho is the SH kick from a ruck/maul that is executed using Triangle... the animation for the over-the-shoulder type kick is really good, and you can use it to good effect

(all this tho is from easy mode, so my views may change if the AI really tightens up in medium/hard)
Thanks for all your feed back Raz - I'm interesetd to know how playable side view is. Can you see gaps and have a good sense of things on side view or does it feel restrictive?

cheers

Originally posted by jimmy44+Mar 4 2005, 09:50 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jimmy44 @ Mar 4 2005, 09:50 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-raziel_eire
@Mar 4 2005, 10:27 AM

Thanks for all your feed back Raz - I'm interesetd to know how playable side view is. Can you see gaps and have a good sense of things on side view or does it feel restrictive?

cheers [/b]
Have you played other games on side view?

Cos it's the same (from the vids) as JLR - almost exactly..(camera tilt at 22 and camera that sits striaght in-between (the 22s) occasionally shifting across the field with the play just slightly.).

I feel I can help here as I have the suspicion that this talk is born from not playing the view before. Anyone who plays it rugularly for a period knows it tis the best.

Here's a really good example of why "is there any gaps etc" is a strange question (but fair if you don't usually use this view)..=

When you watch a game on tv etc you're like:

"Oh back on the inside...!"

"There was a gap there you idiot!!"

"The short ball and he would've been through"

"Quick pass! The fullback's coming"

etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc...

THIS IS THE SAME VIEW.

People's problem with side view is all psychological......
<

Now the person who's playing side view can agree it's the best
<
or not
<
<

i ordered my demo of ebay last night,i thought well its only 2 quid plus p & p so why not, seeing that game probably wont be out to the 18 th now. I was just wondering when about should it get here,this was my first time using ebay. I bought it at about 6 ish last night.

Originally posted by Los Lover+Mar 4 2005, 09:00 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Los Lover @ Mar 4 2005, 09:00 PM)</div>
Originally posted by jimmy44@Mar 4 2005, 09:50 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-raziel_eire
@Mar 4 2005, 10:27 AM

cheers
Have you played other games on side view?

Cos it's the same (from the vids) as JLR - almost exactly..(camera tilt at 22 and camera that sits striaght in-between (the 22s) occasionally shifting across the field with the play just slightly.).

I feel I can help here as I have the suspicion that this talk is born from not playing the view before. Anyone who plays it rugularly for a period knows it tis the best.

Here's a really good example of why "is there any gaps etc" is a strange question (but fair if you don't usually use this view)..=

When you watch a game on tv etc you're like:

"Oh back on the inside...!"

"There was a gap there you idiot!!"

"The short ball and he would've been through"

"Quick pass! The fullback's coming"

etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc...

THIS IS THE SAME VIEW.

People's problem with side view is all psychological......
<

Now the person who's playing side view can agree it's the best
<
or not
<
<
[/b]
I'm not against using the side view if its the best - I've decided to be more open minded about it. Its just from the videos it looks hard to judge running through a gap. Its hard to explain, but somehow it doesn't 'look' so satisfying as it does on classic view.

I'll try all the views to see which is best but I'd like to know Raz's opinion on the subject.

Cheers
<

All seem to have gone now on ebay - can't find any. Anyone got the seller's info so i can email him/her?

I'll only ever play the game on sideview (or broadcast I s'pose)...

Its how I watch rugby, so thats how I wanna play it... in regards to seeing gaps, its pretty easy actually, when playing the game a few times you get a feel for when and where a player can tackle, so you'll know whether to chance that gap or not

When play is at the near sideline or on that side of the pitch (nearest the camera), its very easy to see gaps or breaks... not as easy on the farside, as you are further away, but I think its still very playable
I definately would not say that it is restrictive in any way to play on sideview (but then I haven't tried any of the others!)... but I'll say this, having bought R2001 a few weeks before I actually got hold of a demo, I did not enjoy sideview, I just found it too hard (hey, even restrictive!) to make a good idea of what options were open to me whilst attacking or defending... with this R2005 (demo)... I've never once felt like the view caused me to botch something up, sure I might miss the odd tackle or place a kick too far infield for the fullback to launch another attack (Robinson is a c*** for this!) that I may have made better by looking straight downfield using the behind goal views, but if you take your time (and don't always press X for the dive/spear/ankle-tap tackle), you can cut out most of your mistakes. There is also a decent feel for the pace of a winger/fast man on sideview compared to what I've seen in the video's from behind (where everything seems to appear a little slower)... putting Sailor or Tuquiri on the overlap in midfield and letting them burn some pace downfield (even if you are eventually nailed the charging fullback!) feels pretty good to me

And besides, I don't mind making a mistake and letting a score slip away too much (c'mon rugby is full of mistakes or mis-timings), it just gives you the added incentive to go straight back up field and make them pay!

I like this game!

Originally posted by robbinho@Mar 4 2005, 11:07 PM
All seem to have gone now on ebay - can't find any. Anyone got the seller's info so i can email him/her?
I am in close contact with the seller, I will email him for you

I got my demo from the ebay dude in the post today (sorry guys, I have 2 copies now!)... so Sean you can expect yours today if you've not already received it!

Its a fair deal and the dude can be trusted (well I presume so if he's willing to send me mine)

... now I gotta leave a copy for my step-nephew dude to practice on... its a pity when the only other guy you know interested in rugby (on a console) is 11 years old !!!

Got the demo this morning, this guy is a top bloke. I will be posting my review on here later as I have not had time to play it!!!

They guy has sold all of his 10 copies, try using raziels emule thing. Sorry mate

any chance of info on the demo i ordered mine yesterday.
for example match lenght
teams
can u pick your own side. i mean if its aus vs eng could you like change hodgson for wilkinson etc...

7 mins each half, eng v aus, i am not sure if you can pick your team I have not tried

Latest posts