• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Dempsey to retire at end of season

snoopy snoopy dog dog

First XV
TRF Legend
Club or Nation
Leinster
The guy's been a legend for province and country. Throughlout his career he's been magnificent defensively and very under-rated as an attacking force. Maybe he'll stick around in a coaching capacity; he can certainly pass on a lot to players like Andrew Conway.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/rugby/2010/0505/1224269777066.html

Ireland and Leinster fullback Girvan Dempsey has announced that he will retire from the game at the end of the season. The 34-year-old was capped 82 times for his country, scoring 19 tries.

Dempsey has been named in Leinster’s squad for Sunday’s Magners League clash against Edinburgh at the RDS and is in line to make his 175th appearance for the province since making his debut in 1996. He has scored 32 tries during that time.

All the best, a true gent.

I can never remember him having a bad game ever.

It's a sad dayfor Irish rugby. Great servant of the game and I wish him all the best going forwards. Never had to worry when the Swerve was at the back.

Well have to salute the man, he was never the stand-out player but always gave his all and was always consistent and reliable and loyal.
Never played terribly and well hope he gos on to be a success in whatever he plan's to do.

Ah I've always been a big fan of Swervin Girvan. He always really showed his worth when things for the team looked terrible

That's Geordan Murphy. Before Kearney Murphy and Dempsey tended to swap the Ireland 15 jersey regularly. Dempsey was brought in when Murphy's aberrant style of play become a threat defensively for Ireland and Murphy was subsequently brought in when a better attacking option was required.

Latest posts