• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Depression And Friends

Big E it's not that your being evil but people here do have issues and while some may be big or small they do deserve to talk about it. While you may believe it to be 1st world issues others will think different. Just because we are in 1st world doesn't lessen any issue. If you've depression bipolar or any mental illness you deserve the help and like many physical medical conditions you don't choose to get mentally ill and deserve treatment

People haven't understood what I've said here and it's not all that important, although some of the things I've said, in a much larger sense about today's world, unfortunately are important. But I just want people to know that I'm not blami....FKK !!! FKKK !!!! EAT A DIKK, YOUR MOTHER'S COKK..COKK...COCCKK !!!!!!
oh man, I better get outta here...

Ehhh, I was about to post on this - but instead went to the hospital and had surgery so have been out a couple of days. Good to see Ewis hasn't stopped digging the hole.

People commit suicide because of depression. It is in fact a very real killer. More than twice the number of people die per year from suicides linked with depression, than HIV/AIDS. It may appear to be a disease of the affluent - but that can largely be placed down to the availability of diagnosis and treatment in affluent places. Of course there are different levels of depression. A mate saying "I've been depressed for a couple of weeks after my girlfriend left me" is not really the issue, in fact it's probably to be expected. It's when they are still feeling down six months or a year later that there is an issue - and "get over it" really is unhelpful. Anyone who has any background in Psychology would know this...

It would be a shame if people who generally feel depressed and want to share their experiences are dissuaded by your backwards world view.

Ehhh, I was about to post on this - but instead went to the hospital and had surgery so have been out a couple of days. Good to see Ewis hasn't stopped digging the hole.

People commit suicide because of depression. It is in fact a very real killer. More than twice the number of people die per year from suicides linked with depression, than HIV/AIDS. It may appear to be a disease of the affluent - but that can largely be placed down to the availability of diagnosis and treatment in affluent places. Of course there are different levels of depression. A mate saying "I've been depressed for a couple of weeks after my girlfriend left me" is not really the issue, in fact it's probably to be expected. It's when they are still feeling down six months or a year later that there is an issue - and "get over it" really is unhelpful. Anyone who has any background in Psychology would know this...

It would be a shame if people who generally feel depressed and want to share their experiences are dissuaded by your backwards world view.

Are you okay now?

To add to what you are saying, we can take South Africa as a prime example. SA is a dualistic country, in that it's both first world and third world. The rural areas are still predominantly third world and some still have no electricity, or clean running water. Now, there are to this day still many suicides that happens in those areas, for different reasons. And that is not the only problem. I have been going to a training hospital for the last 2 weeks which is situated in a rural area, because my wife's cousin is getting treatment for cancer. It is one of the biggest training hospitals in our region, and it has it's very own "Depression and Anxiety" ward, and there are plenty of people in that ward on a daily basis.

I wonder what would happen if I were to go in there and tell all those patients to "man-up"...

Hope you have a speedy recovery. But your points are hugely correct and I don't know what it's like regards treatment in NZ or South Africa but Heineken said there's a dedicated ward so surely that a positive step in the right direction. I think awareness helps understand how severe mental illness can progress to if left untreated too long.
Also on a separate issue Heineken we all know someone who has battle with cancer and it's tough but hope your cousin is strong and treatment is successful

Hope you have a speedy recovery. But your points are hugely correct and I don't know what it's like regards treatment in NZ or South Africa but Heineken said there's a dedicated ward so surely that a positive step in the right direction. I think awareness helps understand how severe mental illness can progress to if left untreated too long.
Also on a separate issue Heineken we all know someone who has battle with cancer and it's tough but hope your cousin is strong and treatment is successful

Thanx Munstermuffin. He has a session every week with the resident psychiatrist to help him with the acceptance of the fact that he has cancer. The psychiatrist has also met with me and my wife in helping her cousin, as we are the only family close-by (within 500km) from him. We visit him every night, and on Sunday we shaved his head, because he didn't want to experience the feeling of holding a bunch of hair in his hands when he starts with chemo. The guy was pretty emotional last week, since we found out that it is leukemia, but since Saturday, he's been his old self. Last night we treated him with a picnic and hot chocolate, as there's not much we can do at the hospital. we are not allowed to be at his bed as he is in the "sub-accute" ward and that is next to the Tuberculosis-ward. He has to wear a mask when he's with us in the visitor's area and can only take it off if he gets permission from the nurses.

Are you okay now?

I'm all good now thanks. Had an allergic reaction to something Friday night which wasn't responding to medication, got infected and needed minor surgery. Totally good now other than a bit of swelling/scarring.

Wish your cousin the best! It's a *****, my uncle has liver cancer - while one of my best mates is just into remission as of last week from a brain tumor (and is now living it up on the PS4 we bought him...) so keep high spirits man.

I'm all good now thanks. Had an allergic reaction to something Friday night which wasn't responding to medication, got infected and needed minor surgery. Totally good now other than a bit of swelling/scarring.

Wish your cousin the best! It's a *****, my uncle has liver cancer - while one of my best mates is just into remission as of last week from a brain tumor (and is now living it up on the PS4 we bought him...) so keep high spirits man.

My poor old cousin doesn't even have a tv at the hospital where he's staying. he's stuck with his phone while laying there. We're hoping he gets a weekend pass so that he can come and stay with us so that he can have a bit more freedom, catch a movie and have a tussle against me with UFC on the PS4...

Glad you're okay, It would be unfair to win the "best Southern Hemisphere Poster" ***le without you being here...

How's this for an absolute paradigm. One of my close friends, he came to Qatar some 10 years ago when he was a fresh fresh grad. Immediately got offered a job with big responsibility in this company I worked for (years later, that's how we met), for a while. In a very short time, he found himself being the chief engineer in the company and basically second in command (!). Turned out he became my boss later, but really we were buds, he didn't give a shiit about the "hierarchy". He got married to a pretty, positive-minded lady, got a great looking little boy now, second on the way. Has the car he wants, a big villa in a superb compound complex, friends...and every time we would get together for a beer, he'd tell me about his problem. He had no motivation in the morning to get up and be 'himself', and he kept complaining about that, emphasizing it was a real issue...I told him he had way more than what most men needed and could hope for, and stability was an exceptional thing to achieve these days, but again he insisted it was lingering. The last time I saw him, he actually told me he wanted to leave the company, one he has PERFECT relationship with and wherein everything is in order and he has ZERO threat, nobody in his way, nothing but go-ahead space.
The thing is, he says he isn't challenged there any longer but how long before he doesn't feel challenged in this other company he would've gone to ? Depression is deeper than mere circumstances; you can be happy living in a shiithole with very little at all, and you can be borderline suicidal in the most "perfect" of settings. For some ppl, the awesomeness of life just doesn't come easy..I've at least 2 or 3 other major cases in my close surroundings. How do you get a sense of purpose back into those minds ? I do reiterate that sometimes, something that helps is seeing how much worse it could be, something on tv or wtvr, and you feel pretty darn fortunate after all, but of course that's not a therapy in itself, but is something we should always carry around.