• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Derp question

Dai Perk

Bench Player
Country Flag
United States
Club or Nation
Scotland
OK. I know it's both silly and a little dim to compare rugby to American football, but please, somebody help me understand...

What number is closest to the Quarterback position? 9? 10? Seems like they both make crucial decisions about how the game goes - 9 during all the rucks, 10 during phase play (?) - but who is the key decision-maker? And where in that dynamic does the team captain for that day come in?

Are there disagreements? Is there one person with The Final Say?

Thanks as always, y'all never disappoint!

you're right, both 9 and 10 make calls but in general i would say the 10 is closest to the QB, more the "offical" playmaker

I'd say in general the 10 is the main decision maker most of the time. Every team is different and there's a different dynamic though. But in general outhalves nearly always become key leaders for their teams, as a result of playing in such a key position, combined with generally doing the goalkicking and a lot of then tend to have naturally bossy and authoritative personaloties.

Worth noting that it's different in France, in general the 9 there is both the main goalkicker and the primary playmaker.

The Captain mostly has the final say on decisions and (in theory) is the only player allowed to talk to the ref.

But as I say these are just in general, every team has a different dynamic between players.

10!... unless your French (they're weird like that)... think it's something to do with Napoleon...

Last edited:
I'd say in general the 10 is the main decision maker most of the time. Every team is different and there's a different dynamic though. But in general outhalves nearly always become key leaders for their teams, as a result of playing in such a key position, combined with generally doing the goalkicking and a lot of then tend to have naturally bossy and authoritative personaloties.

Worth noting that it's different in France, in general the 9 there is both the main goalkicker and the primary playmaker.

The Captain mostly has the final say on decisions and (in theory) is the only player allowed to talk to the ref.

But as I say these are just in general, every team has a different dynamic between players.

I never knew that!

OK. I know it's both silly and a little dim to compare rugby to American football, but please, somebody help me understand...

What number is closest to the Quarterback position? 9? 10? Seems like they both make crucial decisions about how the game goes - 9 during all the rucks, 10 during phase play (?) - but who is the key decision-maker? And where in that dynamic does the team captain for that day come in?

Are there disagreements? Is there one person with The Final Say?

Thanks as always, y'all never disappoint!
For me 10 is the play make but the 9 is the link between the forwards amd the backs, a good 9 will choose when is right to pass to the 10 or a crash runner, when to leave it for the forwards and listen to the 10. But to do the actual back moves the 10 is the play maker will choose when to pass or dummy or pass late to put someone in space. They read the defence and cant just stay on script they have to know when not to pass as muvh as when to pass.

For me the 10 is more the QB but argument made for both.

I also didnt know that about the french.

I don't know much about NFL but I would say that it is a misleading comparison. There's no real equivalent toa QB for me, because rugby doesn't strategically channel through one player to anything like the same degree, and is much more played off the cuff and less reliant on set plays.

For what it's worth, I'd say 10 is the closest, but I don't think it's particularly close

Enlightening stuff, as always, my friends. Looking forward to a great weekend of Six Nations!

Latest posts