• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

DHL Stormers vs British & Irish Lions

I threw up at that second row partnership.

Love the front and backrow. Definitely a team that can have a cut. I actually like watching Smith play and think he'll be fine even good for this match but if Biggar's injury is anyway serious. Gatland has really shot himself in the foot, again.

Hopefully we don't have to wait too long before we get that Jones/Beard partnership that everyone wants to see.

That's a back line that can certainly cut loose and run in some tries.

Stormers with a 27 man squad, and we've got a one armed pensioner on our bench!

Love the front and backrow. Definitely a team that can have a cut. I actually like watching Smith play and think he'll be fine even good for this match but if Biggar's injury is anyway serious. Gatland has really shot himself in the foot, again.
You've lost your Johnny Sexton supporting privileges by not being bitter af. Please choose a new province/club to support and I'll file the paperwork.

Personally I hope that Smith plays terribly and this is sighted as the moment his career started to fade away and he's remembered as one of rugby's great flops.

Inb4 Smith gets calls to start because he plays well against a weak, beaten from 10 mins in club side.

If that backline goes well I think that'll be the test backline with the exception that Biggar will be 10.

Not convinced by VDM at wing for the tests though. He's played well against weak opposition but hasn't been tested.

With Hogg and Henshaw back, Townsend should be back to run the attack in person rather than by zoom

Swapping out Daly, Smith and the locks should be all that's needed for a test team.

Oh, and no AWJ and Vunipola on the bench

AWJ should be starting if we have to play him, better if he gets injured he can be replaced.

What do you do if he comes on at 50 then gets injured 10 mins later?

AWJ should be starting if we have to play him, better if he gets injured he can be replaced.

What do you do if he comes on at 50 then gets injured 10 mins later?
Then Beirne will me to lock i guess. And he gets replaced at 6.

Not convinced by VDM at wing for the tests though. He's played well against weak opposition but hasn't been tested.
Problem is apart from the South African (A) match, none of the other games have been tests. Makes it very hard to judge as players can only play what's in front of them, but realistically only 23 players will have faced an actual competitive side. So do you pick those as they've actually played a decent side or hope that those who played well against weaker opposition also play like that against the Boks. Not sure there is a right answer, but having weak provincial sides has hurt the tour in more ways than one.

Stormers with a 27 man squad, and we've got a one armed pensioner on our bench!

Oof this is a weak team. Third choice hooker, second choice locks, loosies also quite weak. This is a factor of Springboks, Blitzboks and unfortunately injuries. The backline isn't as impacted, but we haven't had a decent flyhalf for a while. Edwill Van Der Merwe is one for the future though, look for the short winger doing the Kolbe impression. At least our backline does have some pace... if the forwards are able to get them any ball.

Latest posts