• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Dick Best dicks it up with race slur.

P

Prestwick

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11...n-Armitage.html

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
After Best's selections were displayed on screen - including Trinidad-born Armitage - he was asked why he had chosen the England star over Irish winger Tommy Bowe.

Apparently unaware that his microphone was still on, Best replied: 'You've always got to have a coloured boy in the team.'[/b]

For once in my pathetic little life, words fail me..

That is weak. Such a unnecessary low-blow that doesn't below in English rugby. I'm appalled.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Apr 22 2009, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
That is weak. Such a unnecessary low-blow that doesn't below in English rugby. I'm appalled.[/b]

well if you're appalled at that you're bound to love Neil Francis' comments when talking about how crap a coach De Villiers is, let's call a spade a spade.

Agreed with Prestwick. There are many things to say but nothing quite adequately describes how low that is...

Best is a bit of a dinosaur, is it just the way his generation were brought up or what? Anyway, that is the end of his days working in TV I'd imagine.

I would say that any player, regardless of their racial origin or skin colour should be given a chance if they deserve it. In this case Delon didn't make the cut.

Dick has basically said in other words, 'let's take a token n*gger'. I don't know what's more offensive.. to suggest racism that he wasn't picked because he's black or to suggest Delon is 'a token n*gger'.

Strange to see this **** happening elsewhere for a change. Unacceptable comment though. What a bum!!!!!1!!!1

I was about to say, funny this happening for a team travelling TO South Africa. Of course the world has changed now and South Africa is a fantastic place.

That sort of comment isn't acceptable at any level of sport and seems to come from a very old school train of thought.
Perhaps we should open a bookies and see how long he stays in his position for?

He doesn't have a position. The last post he held was England coach I believe and even that was back in the 1990s.

I don't think Sky or the Telegraph will be tapping him for any pundit op-eds thats for sure..

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Apr 30 2009, 08:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
He doesn't have a position. The last post he held was England coach I believe and even that was back in the 1990s.

I don't think Sky or the Telegraph will be tapping him for any pundit op-eds thats for sure..[/b]
His punditry career is surely over but I think he's a player agent. It'll be bloody difficult picking up new players to represent now.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ May 1 2009, 11:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Apr 30 2009, 08:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think Sky or the Telegraph will be tapping him for any pundit op-eds thats for sure..[/b]
His punditry career is surely over but I think he's a player agent. It'll be bloody difficult picking up new players to represent now.
[/b][/quote]

will it really though, there doesn't seem to be have much hullabaloo made of it in the aftermath, it wasn't even seen by a huge number of people, can't imagine that Sky Sports News is pulling in the ratings in its afternoon slots, no doubt the Telegraph will use this to build up his articles, oh what does Dick Best have to say today, buy our paper and find out sort of thing.

Sky may well drop him as a pundit but given that they only used him for European Rugby Special and had him co commentating on some obscure game doesn't say much for their opinion of him.

er actually this will sound a bit weird but it was the Daily Mail and the Telegraph that broke the story...this honestly isn't meant to be contradictive as its usually the Guardian or Independent who jump on these kinds of stories but as far as I know they didn't feature it. Usually the Mail would defend Dick and the Telegraph would mumble on about cricket in the 1940s.

...Dick hasn't been seen in the sport section since.

A Disgrace.

But this just shows the difference between our generations and the generations before us. For them, saying things like this was fine back in their day. We've been bought up knowing the difference between right and wrong.

Seems Dick hasn't caught onto that yet though.

That is something we have to be thankful for, that at least our parents had the sense to instil this sense of right and wrong.

Latest posts