Did Covid ruin European club rugby?

Leonormous Boozer

Fat Boi
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
Autumn Internationals coming up and we haven't had a European match. I rate the URC massively but domestic league games at any level just don't attract the hype and tension European rugby does, I haven't gone to a match or watched one that I was nervous for even though I went to the Leinster Sharks game with a feeling we'd lose.

I think its clear the old format isn't coming back, do you think this limits European rugby? Only a handful of matches each game weekend will be eye catching right up to the semi final stage in my opinion and I have less interest in the prem and Top 14 when Leinster don't have a game against one of their teams on the horizon.

The last couple of weeks should have been European games, Leinster got two mediocre interpros instead.

EPCR in its current format holds absolutely no interest for me, it's a bastardised competition that is reneging on the whole "point" of the switch from union to club oversight.

In England, the Premiership Cup holds absolutely no interest for me.
The Premiership itself has been losing it's fight to hold any interest for me since removing relegation and replacing it with fallow weekends, all whilst doing ever less to protect player welfare.

Quite honestly, I'm close to being more interested in Women's rugby than Men's.
Maybe the AIs will win me back...

Not gonna lie I'd completely forgotten about European rugby this season - I don't even know who we're playing (I'd say who is in our group but they don't even do groups anymore).

As much as I liked the Round of 16 last season I do think they've messed the format up too much - having two big pools is lame.

Also, controversial to some, the addition of the South African clubs has sapped a lot of my interest.
It's not European rugby anymore, and the addition of a leagueless South African club to the Challenge club at the expense of the traditional inclusion of club-tier-2 sides leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

In the past I would have missed it cause the premiership was the only thing available in the states and I'd like the opportunity to watch the big names in the URC and Top 14. Now that all major leagues are available here I can watch Top 14 every week and it's awesome. So long premiership.

Gotta remember that most challenge cup matches were awful and even the bottom half of the champions cup wasn't that great. I'd rather have the heavyweights of Europe play a couple games than watch Bath and the welsh regions knock the ball on for 80 minutes.

MAKE THE CHAMPIONS CUP CHAMPIONS AGAIN

In the past I would have missed it cause the premiership was the only thing available in the states and I'd like the opportunity to watch the big names in the URC and Top 14. Now that all major leagues are available here I can watch Top 14 every week and it's awesome. So long premiership.

Gotta remember that most challenge cup matches were awful and even the bottom half of the champions cup wasn't that great. I'd rather have the heavyweights of Europe play a couple games than watch Bath and the welsh regions knock the ball on for 80 minutes.

MAKE THE CHAMPIONS CUP CHAMPIONS AGAIN
I think that's the answer considering we're not going back, I'd take the old system in a heartbeat though.

Top 4 of the three leagues form a 12 team comp and 5-8 do the same. It would improve the leagues too due to the financial incentives of finishing top 8.

Don't know how you'd format a 12 team comp but it genuinely doesn't matter because the current one literally can't get any worse.

Not gonna lie I'd completely forgotten about European rugby this season - I don't even know who we're playing (I'd say who is in our group but they don't even do groups anymore).

As much as I liked the Round of 16 last season I do think they've messed the format up too much - having two big pools is lame.

Also, controversial to some, the addition of the South African clubs has sapped a lot of my interest.
It's not European rugby anymore, and the addition of a leagueless South African club to the Challenge club at the expense of the traditional inclusion of club-tier-2 sides leaves a bad taste in the mouth.
not having a go at you. But Sale have got exciting games ahead. They are my local professional club. So I follow them a bit. My team,Dragons have the Challenge cup. But it's messed up a bit because of Wasps. I love European comps. Could be made a bit more hyped, if you like. Anyway, You will enjoy them games when they come up.

Quite.

Funny a few days ago a memory appeared on my social media which was a photograph of myself watching a Munster European Cup match.

Made me second guess if any European Cup matches were on at the weekend, then noticed not until early December

Definitely miss the early matches.

4 groups of 3. Play everyone twice. Actually work with the domestic comps to fit it in. Shouldn't be too hard.
I'm gonna tell Dan Biggar you said that (before he, himself, says it at the end of this season)
After I showed him I could watch Top League and Top 14 games he texted his agent "I'm going to do it, Dudders, I'm going to leave Northamptonshire."

I've never felt the allure of the European competition personally (and just prefer the URC despite Leinster's best efforts), but the current format is beyond laughable. I appreciate if they want a limit of 4 games then a round of 16 the format options are all fairly unpleasant, but still, your progression is hugely dependent on who you play - more so than any other competition..

Cheetahs will be playing their home games out of Parma, how more European do you want? :p

The head of Lyon rugby club has speculated the top 2 from the Rugby Europe Super Cup may replace the sadly absent English sides. That would get the attention of the four people following the RESC.

so apparently football will be switching to a similar format in 2024-2025
Weird. I can only assume that they think it will reduce dead rubbers compared to groups of 4. I don't predict this will be popular in football circles.

The head of Lyon rugby club has speculated the top 2 from the Rugby Europe Super Cup may replace the sadly absent English sides. That would get the attention of the four people following the RESC.

As I suspected, Pool B in the Challenge Cup is reduced to 8x teams with no Rugby Europe Super Cup sides to fill in for the two missing English sides. There will never be a more obvious moment to invite fully professional sides from neighbouring rugby nations into the EPCR.

I've got this on an official email from EPCR but couldn't find it with a quick Google.

As I suspected, Pool B in the Challenge Cup is reduced to 8x teams with no Rugby Europe Super Cup sides to fill in for the two missing English sides. There will never be a more obvious moment to invite fully professional sides from neighbouring rugby nations into the EPCR.

I've got this on an official email from EPCR but couldn't find it with a quick Google.
Genuinely surprised they didn't get a few more South African sides in, it's all they care about at the EPCR these days

Way to take a very successful product and completely f**k it up inside what? 10 years?

I've a suggestion.

Delete the years 2014-2023 and lets just pretend the 2024 competition follows straight on from 2013 eh?

I think the South African sides have added to the competition. Don't understand the format though.

I would have groups of 4/5 and then the top sides go through. Like the RWC. Much easier to understand and fairer too as each team plays all their opponents in the group.

24 teams was too many in 2014 and it's too many now. I like the idea of South African sides playing in it but I understand how it sucks logistically if you can't do a tour.

Here me out 38 teams
Round 38 2 leg
Round 16 2 leg
Round 8 2 leg
Quarter finals
Semi finals
Final
same note too bro (even though my previous comment makes it seem I would hate that)

I either would want it to be an FA Cup type shin dig or a group stage with only 16 teams

Latest posts