• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Did we hurt any unwritten rules?

Kuppi

Academy Player
Country Flag
Germany
Hey!

Ich am from Germany, where Rugby is very unpopular and this is why we have almost no skilled players. I live near the French border and had a friendly against a team from the other side of the border. We knew that we would not have had any chance to win if we had played "normally", so we just tried to score drop goals every time we crossed the 22. We actually won 39-37. We scored 11 drop goals and two penalties and our opponent scored four converted tries and three penalties. We french were really ****** and they were shouting at us. we didn't understand it but we think they insulted us. They even refused to have a few beer with us after the match. Was our playing inappropriate? Did we break an unwritten rule? Please tell me.... Thank you!http://www.woerterbuch.info/deutsch-englisch/uebersetzung/inappropriate.php

If they couldn't stop you doing something over and over again then they deserved to lose :D!!!!

Nope,
While it's frustrating for the other team that you didn't play "rugby" (trying to score tries) you scored more points them then and won - they're just bitter :p

England and South Africa have won games playing with the same game plan :lol:

I suppose it's like when you play WWF/WWE/Wrestling computer games and just constantly hit the other guy with a chair when they're on the ground so they can't get up - while it's technically within the rules, it doesn't create a good match :p

**** it you are playing to win not to satisfy the opponents. if they weren't able to deal with that strategy then **** it. you mightn't have played the nicest looking rugby but you played smart and thats what its all about...

**** it you are playing to win not to satisfy the opponents. if they weren't able to deal with that strategy then **** it. you mightn't have played the nicest looking rugby but you played smart and thats what its all about...
Agreed, surely by the 8th dropgoal they should've thought "Right, whenever they're within 30m everyone just sprint at the flyhalf"

Agreed, surely by the 8th dropgoal they should've thought "Right, whenever they're within 30m everyone just sprint at the flyhalf"
I'm sure they must have thought of this ...must have been one hell of a kicker :/

Thank you for your answers... but why don't weaker teams try to win that way more often? It might be their only chance!?

Well, we are a former footall (scooer) team. Many of us used to play semi profressionally, and we practiced this a lot. The goals were scored by 5 different players

To be honest I do agree with most of you who say that if they couldn't stop the drop goal tactic (11 times?!) then they did deserve to lose. But I also think it depends on the spirit the game is being played in. If I was told by a mate this had happened in a League or Cup match he was playing in then I would say 'fair play, a win is a win' and rightfully slate to opposition for not neutralising the threat because there is afterall something valuable that is being played for.

If I had been told this in the context of a tour match though, I wouldn't necessarily agree. After all, tours are not just about getting victories but are also about having a good time on and off the pitch and promoting the name and badge of your club, so playing such a negative strategy and being met with such displeasure could be understood, but I wouldn't say to the swearing extent. In the context you have said though, in a friendly, I just think it really depends. If you have no ties with this team and it was literally just a game with a another club nearby (admittedly across the border) then I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Thank you for your answers... but why don't weaker teams try to win that way more often? It might be their only chance!?

Better teams counter ruck, close opponents down and give them less time on the ball / less time for the drop goal.

Latest posts