• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

difference between Australia rules football and rugby?

P

patience

Hello,
I Know that in australia football is the american soccer and rugby is like american football. But i don't know the difference between Australia rules football and rugby. Help!

Well as far as I can tell from watching a game every now and then, AFL is a mixture of dancing, basketball, and random field goal attempts.

At the very least it's amusing.

I'm assuming you know how Rugby works though right ?

Aussy rules takes place on a round pitch, in which a rugby shaped ball has to be dribbled basketball style, as that's the only way of moving it. You can kick to your team etc as a way of passing and there are four posts. The inside gap that the posts have gives you a higher number of points then the outside gap. The aim is to kick the ball between the posts.

Rugby is a game played on a rectangle field. You can pass backwards and kick. The aim is to run the ball to the opposition line and place the ball on the other side.

Simplified rules however that's the main idea.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Jan 22 2010, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Aussy rules takes place on a round pitch, in which a rugby shaped ball has to be dribbled basketball style, as that's the only way of moving it. You can kick to your team etc as a way of passing and there are four posts. The inside gap that the posts have gives you a higher number of points then the outside gap. The aim is to kick the ball between the posts.

Rugby is a game played on a rectangle field. You can pass backwards and kick. The aim is to run the ball to the opposition line and place the ball on the other side.

Simplified rules however that's the main idea.[/b]

In addition of this there's no off-side line in AFL while there's one in Rugby and this makes these sports even more different.

Latest posts