• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Dissappointing Welsh Crowd.

S

Sir Speedy

Did any other Welsh posters' feel embarrassed with the crowd booing the Italians like they did? We didn't do that against Scotland, and I think it's disgraceful to attempt to put off a kicker, or whine over a referee's decision by making extremely childish noises like that. Jonathan Davies thinks the same aswell, he was very annoyed with the crowd when Italy had a penalty kick. What are your thoughts?

It is childish and i have never booed when someone has kicked, i think booing ref decisions is a more of a common practice and perhaps more accepted.
I guess it comes down to to respect, it must have been hard for some to respect the Italians seeing as they are cheaters and fighters.

To be fair it was only a few people and they were the guys sitting mainly at the gate 2 entrace blocks!

Anyway

I think that was done because the fact the Italians all sat in one major section of the stadium! I thought it was ******** to be fair! The whole point of rugby is to have intergrated crowds!

A bit disappointed but more disappointed by the performance of our team in the second half.. :wall:

Anyway I think that behaviour is also for the "critics" that the Welch head coach had for the way italians play rugby.

Maybe it is true we put tha game into a fight very much but I don't think we cheat playing above the rules, at least not more than all the other sides.

Just a question:

Who were the 3 guys on the pitch at the beginning of the match?

Joe Calzaghe, Enzo Maccerelli (The tall one {sp?}) and I don't know the name of the small guy. They're all professional boxers.

I believe they were our star boxers (also half Italian)

Joe Calzaghe and Enzo Macarenelli (sp?)
Not sure who the other one is, I know he's good though :p

I know I cant really talk - Glasgow have been very guilty this season - but, well I cant say I have never done it, but the only time I ever have is when a penalty is awarded for no reason that could cost the team the game. (not that that makes it acceptable though, and im not proud of doing it)

Booing the ref is more acceptable - some decisions ive seen recently are downright dreadful! there was a good article in thursdays herald actually raising the issue of how professional players are held accountable for their decisions, but PROFESSIONAL referees arent. There is absolutly no mechanism in place to lodge complaints about referees, and so the only way for people to regester their discust is by booing them. (ask Ulster fans, apparently they boo Changleng all the time! ;) )

I know I cant really talk - Glasgow have been very guilty this season - but, well I cant say I have never done it, but the only time I ever have is when a penalty is awarded for no reason that could cost the team the game. (not that that makes it acceptable though, and im not proud of doing it)

Booing the ref is more acceptable - some decisions ive seen recently are downright dreadful! there was a good article in thursdays herald actually raising the issue of how professional players are held accountable for their decisions, but PROFESSIONAL referees arent. There is absolutly no mechanism in place to lodge complaints about referees, and so the only way for people to regester their discust is by booing them. (ask Ulster fans, apparently they boo Changleng all the time! ;) )
[/b]

it's not just Ulster fans with Changleng, I gave him dogs abuse once in Montpellier when they were playing Connacht, we were behind the tryline and he didn't look too impressed but he's just a special ref as in Ralph Wiggum Special

I think booing or shouting at the ref is just a laugh most of the time, at Cardiff Blues games people will do this even when it's obviously a fair decision, but it does not seem to be done with much malice.

Joe Calzaghe, Enzo Maccerelli (The tall one {sp?}) and I don't know the name of the small guy. They're all professional boxers. [/b]

Gavin Rees was the small guy who is set to fight Amir Khan!

The problem is that in such a small country to fill the stadium you have to let a few football fans in. It seemed much worse at the Stade de France though. But then they boo everybody.

On a different point but stilll regarding fair play, did anyone see the story on the BBC about the Italy camp blocking permission to close the Millennium stadium roof? How is it that the visiting team get to choose? A bit cheeky, especially after Italy narrowed their pitch last year. :D

Why not boo the kicker, i say?
It's our home ground, we've got to make it like a cauldron of passion, get the pressure on the kicker and act like we are the 16th man on the field for Wales.
If that means booing the kicker then so be it.

I don't do it, but i most certainly don't judge people if they choose to do it.
It all depends on how you want to watch the game. I like to shout passionately when we make a positive break, i shout negatively at the ref and i also boistrously applaud the ref thanking him when he makes a good decision.

If it's childish to boo the opponent when they kick for goal, then can the same not be said for staying quiet when your team kicks?
I mean, they both set out to achieve the same thing: benefit your team/put the opposition to a disadvantage.

It's just the way people watch the game.
It's not big deal.

On a different point but stilll regarding fair play, did anyone see the story on the BBC about the Italy camp blocking permission to close the Millennium stadium roof? [/b]

Yeah, i didn't think they'd get a say in the issue.
"Shat upa yow face, eh?!"

The problem is that in such a small country to fill the stadium you have to let a few football fans in. It seemed much worse at the Stade de France though. But then they boo everybody.

On a different point but stilll regarding fair play, did anyone see the story on the BBC about the Italy camp blocking permission to close the Millennium stadium roof? How is it that the visiting team get to choose? A bit cheeky, especially after Italy narrowed their pitch last year. :D
[/b]

People who go to watch rugby are rugby fans... to try and 'blame' other sports is ridiculous.

It's our home ground, we've got to make it like a cauldron of passion, get the pressure on the kicker and act like we are the 16th man on the field for Wales.

I don't do it, but i most certainly don't judge people if they choose to do it.
It all depends on how you want to watch the game. I like to shout passionately when we make a positive break, i shout negatively at the ref and i also boistrously applaud the ref thanking him when he makes a good decision.

If it's childish to boo the opponent when they kick for goal, then can the same not be said for staying quiet when your team kicks?
I mean, they both set out to achieve the same thing: benefit your team/put the opposition to a disadvantage.

It's just the way people watch the game.
It's not big deal.

<div class='quotemain'>

On a different point but stilll regarding fair play, did anyone see the story on the BBC about the Italy camp blocking permission to close the Millennium stadium roof? [/b]

Yeah, i didn't think they'd get a say in the issue.
"Shat upa yow face, eh?!"
[/b][/quote]

I'm not Welsh but I totally agree.

I would imagine that it's easier for a kicker to concentrate when the crowd are booing him, must be far more off putting when there's silence in the ground. I personally think booing a kicker is redundant and anyone who does so is a pillock.

[/b]
Spot on. Thomond Park goes as quiet as the grave when kicks are being taken, but I think that could unnerve visiting teams. Whatever works.

On a different point but stilll regarding fair play, did anyone see the story on the BBC about the Italy camp blocking permission to close the Millennium stadium roof? How is it that the visiting team get to choose? A bit cheeky, especially after Italy narrowed their pitch last year. :D [/b]

The away teams set what they want at the stadium!

To be honest the desicion should only and I mean only the the ground staff! If they feel the pitch should be played under a roof then it should!

Anyway

A good goalkicker doses not get affected by the crowd as he has the mental ability to close it off!

Thats what Jenks believes in!

<div class='quotemain'> Why not boo the kicker, i say?
[/b]
Spot on. Thomond Park goes as quiet as the grave when kicks are being taken, but I think that could unnerve visiting teams. Whatever works.
[/b][/quote]

Indeed. The silence is unnerving and comes across well on tv.
Like you say though... whatever works.

<div class='quotemain'> Why not boo the kicker, i say?
[/b]
[/b][/quote]

Thats probably true but thats not what the silence is intented for it is a respectfull silence

Thats probably true but thats not what the silence is intented for it is a respectfull silence [/b]

Respect?
The fans have just paid a large sum of money for their tickets, i think that shows enough respect, don't you?

<div class='quotemain'>
Thats probably true but thats not what the silence is intented for it is a respectfull silence [/b]

Respect?
The fans have just paid a large sum of money for their tickets, i think that shows enough respect, don't you?
[/b][/quote]

Respect for the kicker not reespect nin general
And ive no proplem with boeing kickers

Latest posts