• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ditch the knock on rule?!!

Wander

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Hi all

Can I ask what we all think about the knock on rule? Why do we have one? I'm sure there will be purists who will argue it shows a lack of skill?

So, ask yourself; do you prefer a stop start game with millions of scrums, that themselves need resetting? Or do we keep the continuity and pace going?

For me, for instance, if the scrum half happens to accidentally drop the ball an inch forward whilst getting it out of a messy ruck it isn't worth stopping the game for. The result, a multiple reset slow scrum, dull! For that matter, even if a centre happens to knock it forward when catching it off his boot straps, why stop? You may have to create a rule saying you can't score whilst knocking on.

Let's get on with it!!!

What do we think? :D

You misspelled your name when you signed up, clearly!

1/10. Go read some sigesige threads if you want to learn how law changing is done.

1/10. Go read some sigesige threads if you want to learn how law changing is done.

:lol:

Okay, I'll bite. No, it's a f*cking stupid idea. For a start - as a prop I enjoy those scrums. Secondly - if you can have knock on, surely you can have forward passes (if not then you can throw the ball forward onto the ground). Not knocking on the ball yes - shows skill. The point of being careful not to knock the ball on is so obviously ingrained in the game. Where is the advantage for having superior ball skills if you can just knock it on when you like?

So no. I think it's a really, really dumb idea.

:lol:

Okay, I'll bite. No, it's a f*cking stupid idea. For a start - as a prop I enjoy those scrums. Secondly - if you can have knock on, surely you can have forward passes (if not then you can throw the ball forward onto the ground). Not knocking on the ball yes - shows skill. The point of being careful not to knock the ball on is so obviously ingrained in the game. Where is the advantage for having superior ball skills if you can just knock it on when you like?

So no. I think it's a really, really dumb idea.

Noooooooo! Nick, you know better.

You ****ing idiots think the knock on law is a good law...

Noooooooo! Nick, you know better.

You ****ing idiots think the knock on law is a good law...

ROFL nAH bro?! KEEP DA NOK ONZ cAUSE oTERWIZE j00 MAY AZ calL iT DROPBALL!!!! LOLOLOLOLOL

They're already conducting an experiment on this one mate. It's called Super Rugby.

Ditch the knock on rule, allow players to roam everywhere (no offiside), remove the cross bar and add two extra posts on each side of the goal posts. play on an oval field. Take tries out of the game as the Wallabies can't score them anyway, make dropgoals worth 6 points, and if you miss on either side it's worth 1 point. don't bother with drop kicks anymore, punt kicks will suffice and allow players to take marks anywhere not just inside their own 22. passes don't have to go backwards and instead of scrums, the umpire err um ref just bounces the ball instead.

WHAT DO YOU THINK????????????????????????????????????

Ditch the knock on. Put everyone in huge amounts of protective gear and big helmets to make them safe. Stop play after a tackle, because if mungoball teaches us anything, it's that stopping to rest after a tackle actually speeds the game up. Allow an entirely different set of players to take the field on offense and defense. Make a try worth 6 points and a conversion worth 1. Put everything in archaic Imperial measurements.

Yeah, sounds like a great idea...

Easy Tigers!

Didn't suggest turning the game into football! Or allowing offside, or forward passes, just that if someone's passed the ball and dribbles it forward a short distance, without it going to anyone else, and then picks it up, where's the problem?

I'm just not a fan of endlessly stopping the game for scrums, dull! And I was a forward.

Hey ho!

I think it's a great idea .. Don't listen to all the other guys knocking this idea I love it and I think we should completely do away with the scrum , it's boring takes too long and wastes the time for the real rugby out wide .

I also think its about time we were allowed pass it forward too but only by 5 m or less

I think it's a great idea .. Don't listen to all the other guys knocking this idea I love it and I think we should completely do away with the scrum , it's boring takes too long and wastes the time for the real rugby out wide .

I also think its about time we were allowed pass it forward too but only by 5 m or less
See post above. :)

Real shame couldn't debate this. Very disrespectful to a new user, doubt we'll see him again. Overall disgusting behaviour from rugby players/fans.

I would say that if a knock on occurs inside a ruck and no advantage is made by the attacking team, or nothing lost from the defending team, then get on with it. The principles of good rugby is running rugby, and as a spectator sport the IRB should be putting an emphasis in this area. I would also say if a throw in to a line out is not straight but the defending team don't challenge then just get on with it.

Real shame couldn't debate this. Very disrespectful to a new user, doubt we'll see him again. Overall disgusting behaviour from rugby players/fans.

I would say that if a knock on occurs inside a ruck and no advantage is made by the attacking team, or nothing lost from the defending team, then get on with it. The principles of good rugby is running rugby, and as a spectator sport the IRB should be putting an emphasis in this area. I would also say if a throw in to a line out is not straight but the defending team don't challenge then just get on with it.

No it's not. It was a ridiculous idea that fully deserved the scorn it was met with.

eae906c9-7cdb-4d17-a798-2cfe859585e3.jpg

I would say that if a knock on occurs inside a ruck and no advantage is made by the attacking team, or nothing lost from the defending team, then get on with it.
Not the worst idea ever but that's not quite the same as getting rid of the knock-on rule entirely. I've kept an open mind when considering the OP's proposal and I can't see any rationale for it or how it would improve the game.

I would also say if a throw in to a line out is not straight but the defending team don't challenge then just get on with it.
I can't see this working.

OK, for all those who are obviously far brighter, more enlightened and articulate than me.......rather than basic sledging (easy, dull, get over it!).......how about using your superior whit, knowledge of the game and writing skills to explain, in a detailed sentence if possible, why a simple knock on at a ruck, picked up by the same player, not passed forward, is worth stopping the game for? Rather than having a scrum, which will inevitably need to be reset 3 times and could lead to a penalty all for.....a one inch knock on, let it go!

I also agree with the posts above that a line THAT ISN'T CONTESTED doesn't need to be penalised. If the defending team can't be bothered to compete, what possible difference does it being straight make? Easy to referee, speeds up play, gets my vote.

why a simple knock on at a ruck, picked up by the same player, not passed forward, is worth stopping the game for? Rather than having a scrum, which will inevitably need to be reset 3 times and could lead to a penalty all for.....a one inch knock on, let it go!

Why should a mistake go unpunished?

Where do you stop? What if the full back knocks on from a garryowen?

What happens if the tackled attacking player just throws the ball backwards through his legs, the following non-tackled attacking player goes for the quick pick up before any other defenders are back (or set) and fumbles - should they be allowed to pick it up and continue?

Or are you going to define it solely to situations where the referee calls "ruck formed"? (note in that instance, a knock on from the base of a scrum will still result in the opposition having the feed into a scrum of their own)

I also agree with the posts above that a line THAT ISN'T CONTESTED doesn't need to be penalised. If the defending team can't be bothered to compete, what possible difference does it being straight make? Easy to referee, speeds up play, gets my vote.

If I am a hooker, what then stops me flinging the ball 10 yards behind the lineout straight to my scrumhalf so the other team have no chance to contest it?

Latest posts