• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Do You play Rugby?

I started when I was in primary 6, which was one tournament a year, and then moved on to my high school. Because of the demographics of my area there was no rugby club so I was restricted to school games, which was about 3-4 games a year, especially in year 8 - 10. In year 11 though we did reach a cup final but got humiliated. As a bunch of boys, we then got together to play for our closest club, which was 45 minutes away. Ended up playing for Ballynahinch Under 16, 18 & 20s.
Then got scouted to go to County trials (Which we won) and then Ulster trials, which I didn't get very far in. Then moved onto play for Northern Ireland Cadet 7s team. Then I went into music and stopped, I was about 17/18

But then at 20 I got back into it and then went back to my old club and got player of the year for one of our jr sides and was then invited to train with the seniors, which is all Ireland level. Never played AIL but did play Ulster League. Then an injury knock me out for about 3 months, which put me out of the mix with my club but did offer me the chance to play in New Zealand. So played a season there in the Southland Premiership. Was lucky to train and play with NPC and Super Rugby guys.

Came back, and went to Uni in Wales, were I beat around the Uni team, Bargoed and others but more or less took a year or two out. Have found my home now in the Black Army - a Div 2 East team.

I think all in all I did OK for someone who had to teach myself how to play. Got different things and a bunch of league ***les and a few cups. But getting old now. I use to be a 6 but because of my uni days (cider) I'm a lock now. Got a lot of my game to work on now but I find being 6'3 and about 17 stones (105kg?) my size does a bit of damage.

Used to play for a few years at high school age, played as a wing, was just average, just more my mates were playing so I gave it a go.

Played league at the same time, played number 13, samething as rugby, was just OK and played as my mates did.

Played for 8 years now I think started out as a prop and have now been shifted back to 2nd row and occasionally 8. I used to play at clubs and school until last year when the club system when to **** and I only play with school now. The standard is decent, we're the best school in singapore but I doubt that would amount to much elsewhere. It's nowhere near as intensive as schools rugby in Ireland and UK would be theres no S&C programs and training is only 2/3 times a week while gym and fitness work is expected in free times its not mandatory.

Do you go to AISS?

I started when I was 10 at school in Singapore - I'm 25 now. Played as a winger all my life for high school, counties manukau under 16s and for my university. Played in some touch competitions during the summer periods there. Came to Ireland about 3 years ago to be closer to family where I played a little bit more for university until I got injured last year and haven't got back into it. Would like to get back playing when life is a little more settled.

Do you go to AISS?

I started when I was 10 at school in Singapore - I'm 25 now. Played as a winger all my life for high school, counties manukau under 16s and for my university. Played in some touch competitions during the summer periods there. Came to Ireland about 3 years ago to be closer to family where I played a little bit more for university until I got injured last year and haven't got back into it. Would like to get back playing when life is a little more settled.

UWCSEA, took out everything last year at U19's. AISS aren't really up there with rugby anymore, in fact they've dropped out of top division.

UWCSEA, took out everything last year at U19's. AISS aren't really up there with rugby anymore, in fact they've dropped out of top division.

That's what I thought. Your profile picture looks like the field in AISS so I was surprised that we could be the best. Like I'd be amazed :D We were never very good tbh. I left back in 2004ish so it was a long time ago. In that time all I remember was that the French were quite good and there was a Singaporean school I think called St Joseph's that were up there too. They came and toured New Zealand and played the school I was going to there. Are there any local schools that are doing well? I had friends who went to UWC but they weren't into rugby.

That's what I thought. Your profile picture looks like the field in AISS so I was surprised that we could be the best. Like I'd be amazed :D We were never very good tbh. I left back in 2004ish so it was a long time ago. In that time all I remember was that the French were quite good and there was a Singaporean school I think called St Joseph's that were up there too. They came and toured New Zealand and played the school I was going to there. Are there any local schools that are doing well? I had friends who went to UWC but they weren't into rugby.

Haha the picture is actually the AISS field, from a game I played there last year good spot. The French are decent, I think they came second this year, which surprised us because Tangling gave us the most trouble won both TTS games by less than a score but beat the French comfortably. In terms of local schools, ACS, St. Andrews, Raffels and St. Joesefs are all good, we don't play them a lot due to different seasons. I doubt we'll be dominate for long though, even next year we'll struggle to live meet the same standards, and the year below us don't really stand a chance they've lost both their best players to rugby scholarships in the UK.

Haha the picture is actually the AISS field, from a game I played there last year good spot. The French are decent, I think they came second this year, which surprised us because Tangling gave us the most trouble won both TTS games by less than a score but beat the French comfortably. In terms of local schools, ACS, St. Andrews, Raffels and St. Joesefs are all good, we don't play them a lot due to different seasons. I doubt we'll be dominate for long though, even next year we'll struggle to live meet the same standards, and the year below us don't really stand a chance they've lost both their best players to rugby scholarships in the UK.

Cheers for the info. Yea it's difficult to maintain a standard when the international schools are made up of expats. They come and go. Also that AISS field used to be incredibly bumpy. Twisted ankles galore and even the bounce of a soccer ball wasn't predictable haha.. Good luck for next year.

Start at age 12, I played about 14 years (were not 14 continuous years, some years playing and others not) right now I'm resting because I have a back injury. I hope to return to the field as soon as possible, this injury is worrying me, are already 4 months without being able to run. I play in a small league, I play in one of the most important teams in the league but we are far from professionals.

Position: Utility Back, I play as fullback, scrum-half, centre or wing. In few games I played at openside flanker, 5 or 6 games, was not long but it helped me to know the position and know how hard is the battle between forwards. My favorite position is at fullback.

Cheers

Last edited:
Started playing league aged 11/12 at school. Joined the army at 16 and carried on playing. In my teens I represented the army at junior level. But by my early 20's injury, work and alcohol had got the better of me so I only ever played at regimental level. I played prop and 2nd row. But been known to play the odd game at centre.
After the leaving the army I stopped playing after I settled in an area with no league teams. But about 18 months ago I bit the bullet and joined my local union team. I've still yet to find my position, but have played the majority of my games at 2nd row. Although I wanna move to blindside.
I'm injured after rupturing my ACL in January though. So it's gonna be a while before I'm back playing

Out of curiosity (and not wanting to do a ton of research ;)) could people post up the different tiers of rugby in their country/region? For example, where I live in Ontario it goes:

1. International
2. Canadian Rugby Championship (provincial representative teams)
3. Marshall Premiership(All-Ontario club comp)
4. Marshall Championship
5. Niagara Rugby Union A Division (Southwestern Ontario)
6. NRU B
7. NRU C (where I play :D )

So that's seven levels ranging from the top down to "don't even have to know how to play". In Toronto they have one more tier I believe. What's the case in other places, like England and Ireland etc? I find this stuff really interesting :)

Well it's not so simple. You have International> Provincial (fully professionals and a smattering of academy semi pros) > AIL (clubs where the younger province guys impress the provincial coaches. The top pros rarely play for their clubs except for when they're returning from injury. The guys who regularly play AIL is a mix of semi pros and non professionals at the top divisions)
But most players come through the schools and are fast racked into provincial academies. Although every player has to be listed for a club while under a province contract (even foreign signings) they rarely play for them when they're playing regular provincial rugby.
There are exceptions though for instance Sean O'Brien who didn't go to a rugby school. Munster also rely a bit more heavily on the clubs to scout guys hence why guys break into the Munster squad at a slightly later age. The truth is the Leinster Schools are further ahead in terms of conditioning and are ready for the professional game sooner after leaving school. That's my take on why they're so dominant at youth levels but conditioning can only take them so far and we catch up a bit later. Connacht likewise doesn't have a massive Schools culture. Can't say for Ulster but Im pretty sure they draw from the schools

Last edited:
Well it's nt so simple. You have International> Provincial (fully professionals and a smattering of academy semi pros) > AIL (clubs where the younger province guys impress the provincial coaches. The top pros rarely play for their clubs except for when they're returning from injury. The guys who regularly play AIL is a mix of semi pros and non professionals at the top divisions)
But most players come through the schools and are fast racked into provincial academies. Although every player has to be listed for a club while under a province contract (even foreign signings) they rarely play for them when they're playing regular provincial rugby.
There are exceptions though for instance Sean O'Brien who didn't go to a rugby school. Munster also rely heavily on the clubs to scout guys hence why guys break into the Munster squad at a later age.

Didn't know that about pro's being attached to other clubs, interesting. When you say "schools", I'm assuming that's what we'd call high school over here? Also, is the AIL where you'd be playing if you want to keep playing recreationally after school?

Didn't know that about pro's being attached to other clubs, interesting. When you say "schools", I'm assuming that's what we'd call high school over here? Also, is the AIL where you'd be playing if you want to keep playing recreationally after school?
Yeah high schools. There are a few schools that produce a huge number of pros just down to tradition and resources. Our school for instance has produced 4 or 5 B&I Lions and 40 odd internationals. Other schools are bigger while in Munster guys like Munchins have produced a huge volume of players. As I say all players are attached to clubs. If you ever look at an Irish teamsheet it will have each players Province and Club. I believe the provincial union allocates clubs to foreign signings. It can do a lot for a club to have a big name attached even for signing jerseys and hanging around the club.
The AIL ranges from J1 (serious prospects and semi pros with the odd appearance from guys on long term injury. For instance Stephen Ferris eased into a few club games before it was deemed he was recovered sufficiently for a full intensity Ulster game) to J5 which is largely social. In my club we have a guy who's about 50 playing at scrum half for the J5's and the majority of the team is overweight. The thing is however that certain schools also have clubs unattached but linked to them for past pupils to play for. However if you look at a school like Blackrock, easily the countries top rugby school, their club (Blackrock RFC) is awful so a guy wanting to maximise his chances would instead play for a top club like Lansdowne or his college side like U.C.D. Sorry if I'm making this ununnecessarily complicated

I'm still following you ( I think!). Our clubs work pretty much the same way, the Marshal Prem teams are highly competitive, athletic, etc, and thats where the provincial team players come from. My club is about half 30+ guys and half college age guys. We struggle for playing numbers so everyone's welcome. Players looking to get anywhere with rugby kind of have to go play for one of the larger city teams.

In theory, we have direct promotion relegation throughout the whole structure, but a lot of the teams at various levels are second/third/fourth teams, so they just stay where they are.

Latest posts