• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Does anyone know if the rumours re Thomas Waldrom playing fro England are true??

FlukeArtist

Bench Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Blues
There was a mention on a NZ TV show last night that there was to be an announcement about Waldrom.

Has there been any word regarding this?

Teat sides are so diluted these days that... I'd mark out like a ***** if this were true!

Is he even English qualified?

Apparently so, but not, so it'll be on residency:

Leicester Tigers' Kiwi No.8 Thomas Waldrom chases england dream

1978476-vlarge.jpg

Thomas Waldrom

Leicester Tigers' Kiwi No.8 Thomas Waldrom has revealed he is keen to realise a World Cup dream – playing for England.
The 27-year-old has made a massive impact since joining the Tigers from the Canterbury Crusaders at the start of the season.
After finding out relatives on his family tree were not only from England but also from Leicester, Waldrom says he would gladly accept an offer from England manager Martin Johnson to take the field with a red rose on his chest once his three-year qualifying period had been completed.
With the 17-stone back-rower lighting up the Aviva Premiership at present, and England's current incumbent Nick Easter turning 33 this year, Waldrom's hopes of "playing at the highest level" may well come true.

"I know I have to wait three years for the chance but, if the opportunity came up, I would be interested," he said. "I will wait, do my three years and, if I am playing well and they want me, we will see what happens.
"I have a namesake on the family tree, Thomas Waldrom, who is from England. But I didn't know that until I signed up to come here.
"I agreed to come to Leicester as my grandparents were doing a family tree and they found out I had some heritage here in Leicester, which was amazing.
"I am not sure how many generations ago it was, but I think it was on my grandfather's side.
"My parents are coming over to England in April and they are going to bring the family tree over and try and find some more out."
While a distant relative is not enough to qualify a player for national duty – a parent or grandparent is – regulation 8.1 of the IRB's rules of the game says Waldrom could play for an adopted country if: "He has completed 36 consecutive months of residence immediately preceding the time of playing."
Waldrom's Tigers team-mates from New Zealand, Craig Newby and Scott Hamilton, are ineligible for England cap because they have represented the All Blacks side at senior level. The back-rower has never made it into the New Zealand side.
And his ambition to play at national level is still a fierce driving force.
"As a professional player, you want to play to the highest standard you can and one of my goals was always to go to a World Cup," he said.
"I am only 27 and I have an open mind to it. I haven't managed that in my career so it would be good if that chance came up.
"It (playing for England) could be a possibility."

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co....and-dream/article-3262668-detail/article.html

I remember watching a Tigers match on ESPN last year and they were dreaming of the fact that he might be England qualified one day

Croft - Wood - Waldrom
*romance explosion*

I presume his English ancestory is too diluted to count as qualification then?
Three years is quite a wait, and I'd say 30 would be too old for his first cap, but Fourie was that age....

Last edited:
Its ridiculous the amount of foreigners in test teams. SA does it as well; Mujati and Mtawarira are Zimbabwean. Mostly though, it is our boys that end up playing for other countries.

Its ridiculous the amount of foreigners in test teams. SA does it as well; Mujati and Mtawarira are Zimbabwean. Mostly though, it is our boys that end up playing for other countries.

With this idea being thrown around about dual-playing for tier 1 & 2 nations, it'll only be a matter of time before players transfer between test sides the same way they do for their clubs. Every nation brings in forigeners now and then comes up with one way or another to justify it - Be it "Oh they grew up here from an early age" or the more standard "Their family roots come back here".

I used to be very vocal on the issue. Beyond caring any more as it's becoming farcical to have nationality the sole purpose of playing test rugby.

For shits and giggles, I may make a TRF10 montage of the England team - featuring all the Kiwi Players - performing the Haka as seen in the game.

Actually, I wonder if I could make Kiwi (or almost-All Black qualified) England XV.

1. Budgen (NZ born)
2. Hartley (NZ Born)
4. Palmer (NZ Schoolboys)
6. Harding (UK Residency)
7. Wood (NZ Residency - I think)
8. Waldrom (NZ Born)
9. Simpson (NZ Mother)
12. Flutey (NZ Born)
13. Hape (NZ Born)

Nearly there!

With this idea being thrown around about dual-playing for tier 1 & 2 nations, it'll only be a matter of time before players transfer between test sides the same way they do for their clubs. Every nation brings in forigeners now and then comes up with one way or another to justify it - Be it "Oh they grew up here from an early age" or the more standard "Their family roots come back here".

I used to be very vocal on the issue. Beyond caring any more as it's becoming farcical to have nationality the sole purpose of playing test rugby.

I don't think these 2 situations can be put on the same level, at all.

The residency rule is obviously ********, but some people ARE early age immigrants, or have foreign parents.

For shits and giggles, I may make a TRF10 montage of the England team - featuring all the Kiwi Players - performing the Haka as seen in the game.

Actually, I wonder if I could make Kiwi (or almost-All Black qualified) England XV.

1. Budgen (NZ born)
2. Hartley (NZ Born)
4. Palmer (NZ Schoolboys)
6. Harding (UK Residency)
7. Wood (NZ Residency - I think)
8. Waldrom (NZ Born)
9. Simpson (NZ Mother)
12. Flutey (NZ Born)
13. Hape (NZ Born)

Nearly there!
Perry Freshwater at prop perhaps?

Don't think Wood was there long enough, and apparently actually googling it shows the NZ guys were wrong and Waldrom's ancestors are too far back.

Don't think Wood was there long enough, and apparently actually googling it shows the NZ guys were wrong and Waldrom's ancestors are too far back.

Waldrom's gran was born in England and the brith certificate proves it, he could well play in the summer tests for England.

Perhaps Jimmy Gopperth at 10 and Daniel Bowden as an alternative in the mid field

Latest posts