• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Does snow suffer Rugby in Australia?

A

alexrugby

More two hundred yers Australia "was waiting for snow"
And THERE IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and how does it influence play there in your country? interesting fact

221207929374e38b93f4cs9.jpg

You're right! Snow does suffer rugby in Australia...

:mellow:

Bad !!!!
I have mistakenly created the second thread about this theme :D I hope that's all right
Sorry for that as Australia is one of the pace making core of world's rugby
we are familiar with this situation here in Georgia some reasons contribute:
1 here we leave among Caucasus mountains :D
2 we have quite severe winter :D
3 and are engaged in SnowRugby especially when playin' against Russia in Krasnoyarsk and they want to win :D

306399.jpg

also SnowRugby is making first steps as a separate branch of rugby in Georgia
Yeah we love rugby in Georgia :cheers:

Hehe, well Australia is known for it's horrible snow filled winters I guess..?

If somewhere like Cardiff barely gets any snow at all these days, can't see Australia getting ANY snow! I doubt the Wallebies would ever play in snow anyway because most modern stadiums have either got under pitch heaters (Murrayfield is one that comes to mind, think a few GP Clubs have them as well - Wasps had to cancel a game against Sale because they forgot to turn it on, and the ground had frosted over) or occasionally a roof (like the Millennium Stadium) so it's not as if they'd get much of a chance to experience playing in snow. Ok, if they toured somewhere like Canada they'd probably have snow somewhere, but they usually sweep the pitches clear pre-game anyway (or in the Saracens case, use a hovercraft :p )

Never had teh chance to play in snow before, what's it like playing in it up in the Caucasus?

Lol actually it snows sometimes in Brumbies country, the ACT. I think in the early 2000's there was a final of sorts played in light snow.

Well well well, as I see from the posts above Australia's rugby did not suffer much from snow

Nice to hear that

img.120313_t.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LeksoRugby @ Sep 25 2008, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well well well, as I see from the posts above Australia's rugby did not suffer much from snow

Nice to hear that

img.120313_t.jpg
[/b]
Considering it hasn't snowed anywhere where rugby is played in Australia (cept for the Mount Kosciuszko RUFC, they won last years ARC) I dont think rugby in Australia will, ah, "suffer"

P.S read between the lines

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MLegg @ Sep 25 2008, 02:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LeksoRugby @ Sep 25 2008, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice to hear that

img.120313_t.jpg
[/b]
Considering it hasn't snowed anywhere where rugby is played in Australia (cept for the Mount Kosciuszko RUFC, they won last years ARC) I dont think rugby in Australia will, ah, "suffer"

P.S read between the lines
[/b][/quote]

Pretty good to hear that, what I saw on TV after this post sounds good, but anyway it was in past

As far as I know the coldest temperature is around 15 degrees, which is very cold for the OZ but still too hot for snow. :D

Ahhh MLegg, we had 4 days of pretty decent ground cover here in Orange. Apart from the Snow country down south, us and Oberon get more snow than anywhere else in Aus.

Snow stings when you hit it! Terrible stuff.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (melon @ Sep 25 2008, 10:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ahhh MLegg, we had 4 days of pretty decent ground cover here in Orange. Apart from the Snow country down south, us and Oberon get more snow than anywhere else in Aus.

Snow stings when you hit it! Terrible stuff.[/b]
Caught a few barra tonight, especially Lesko. Mount Kosciuszko RUFC, dont exist afaik (I made it up), and even if they did they didn't play in the ARC last year. :p

Caught a few barra tonight, especially Lesko. Mount Kosciuszko RUFC, dont exist afaik (I made it up), and even if they did they didn't play in the ARC last year. :p
[/quote]

I don't understand what MLegg says but one thing I know, people from Australia say snow suffered rugby much

Anyway Ausses keep warming up their rugby.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LeksoRugby @ Sep 25 2008, 02:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I don't understand what MLegg says but one thing I know, people from Australia say snow suffered rugby much

Anyway Ausses keep warming up their rugby.[/b]

To sum up, it doesn't snow anywhere in Australia where rugby is played. For the most part, Australia's climate is far too warm for snow.

In a rare occurrence there was light snow when the Raiders played a match in Canberra around 5 years ago.

Snow definitely affects the game in Canada and it is one of the reasons why rugby has been hindered in development in this country. This is because due to weather and the size of the country club seasons differ from region to region. Realistically in some places rugby can only be played for 4 or 5 months of the year. This isn't really due to the snow because I have played plenty of rugby in snow and sleet before. It is mostly due to the extreme drop in temperature. You try playing rugby in the middle of january when its
-30c with a windchill of -45 to -50 and you will find its impossible. My high school team ebcause of climate was forced to train indoors for 2 and 1/2 months and only got 2 weeks on the pitch before our first game because of the weather.

Latest posts