• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Does Super Rugby form genuinely affect test selection?

Red Enigma

Academy Player
According to Auckland based Hansen it does and is the reason for Ioane being picked in the starting XV for the 1st Lions test. The simple fact that he did not stand out against the many teams that thrashed the Blues, is discounted. So how does Hansen explain his selection of SBW ahead of the Hurricanes Lampape, the leading try scorer of the whole comp, brilliant on defence, and a 100% effort game after game. SBW has none of those attributes and never has had. Seems that SBW is to Hansen what Mils was to Henry - I would rather play him and lose than not to play him. Looking at other positions, it is obvious that the Hurricanes record of best attack and best defence is also thrown aside, with the brilliant Jordie Barrett dismissed in favour of Ben Smith and the worlds best halfback, Perenara, put on the bench to bail out an Aaron Smith who lives on his reputation rather than form. So I guess you get my drift - Super rugby form has little to do with selections for tests - it will get a player into the squad and deny him the chance of playing a touring team with his franchise side with little chance of getting onto the field in a test. And yes, the Hurricanes will beat the Crusaders when they meet for the final match of the round-robin and will not lose again on the way to retaining their ***le. In my humble opinion, the 'Canes at full strength would beat the AB starting XV named today.

i dont think anyone has said super form is the ONLY thing they look at, having been there before has to be taken into account

SBW looked good for the blues against the lion from memory, and i say that as less than a SBW fan

B smith is in great form, havent heard anyone else say he doesnt deserve to be there

A smith has been patchy but as a highlanders fan id still rather have him starting each week

According to Auckland based Hansen it does and is the reason for Ioane being picked in the starting XV for the 1st Lions test. The simple fact that he did not stand out against the many teams that thrashed the Blues, is discounted. So how does Hansen explain his selection of SBW ahead of the Hurricanes Lampape, the leading try scorer of the whole comp, brilliant on defence, and a 100% effort game after game. SBW has none of those attributes and never has had. Seems that SBW is to Hansen what Mils was to Henry - I would rather play him and lose than not to play him. Looking at other positions, it is obvious that the Hurricanes record of best attack and best defence is also thrown aside, with the brilliant Jordie Barrett dismissed in favour of Ben Smith and the worlds best halfback, Perenara, put on the bench to bail out an Aaron Smith who lives on his reputation rather than form. So I guess you get my drift - Super rugby form has little to do with selections for tests - it will get a player into the squad and deny him the chance of playing a touring team with his franchise side with little chance of getting onto the field in a test. And yes, the Hurricanes will beat the Crusaders when they meet for the final match of the round-robin and will not lose again on the way to retaining their ***le. In my humble opinion, the 'Canes at full strength would beat the AB starting XV named today.
What you and me see when we watch the television isn't the same reality as what happens in the camp. Some players are extremely involved during trainings and others do nothing, or don't deliver enough even though they still put in strong performances on match day. On the long run, work rate is a better indicator of fitness, discipline and personal involvement than natural talent and xfactor. These players are often all razzle dazzle but everything else is lacking. I'm not saying it's the case for some of these All Blacks, but I feel like Julian Savea isn't the same motivated fella he once was. This has implications on the way he performs both during trainings and matches. This year, I haven't seen him get a lot of ball, I haven't seen him perform up to ABs standards, he doesn't have enough stamina for a winger and isn't reliable under high balls. Maybe it doesn't tell all the story, but the coaches know enough to select him or not. And Ioane getting the nod is because he puts his hand up during each training session, and goes 100%. I've just read an article about him beating Beauden at a sprint session. Obviously he also has a lot of potential and Savea has long gone past his peak... But ultimately, Hansen will have preferred Rieko because he's already proven that he can cope against the Lions' tactics. Julian will be a liability if he is up against high balls and tight play.

You could say the same about SBW. I didn't rate him much because I thought he only relied upon his talent, but he does put in the hard yards. I'm not entirely convinced about his defense though, but time will tell if Hansen made the right choice at 12.

Experience is another factor to take into account. When pressure stacks up, a young player may crack under it while a more experienced player will still keep a cool head and be reliable til the end. Bender is a logical choice over the young Jordie, and even if I rate him heaps, it would be much too dangerous to leave him out in the cold. The same applies for Laumape. He has never played for the All Blacks, and as talented as he is, he will surely panic when things don't go his way. And if he does keep his composure, the Lions will surely target his channel... That's a risky gamble and sometimes you want to play it safe.

As for Aaron v TJ, that's a whole other story. Using halfbacks in the ABs is a two-part plan.
Smith plays under a lot of structure. He knows when to snipe, when to pass in a 1-3-3-1 formation, in a 2-4-2 formation, he knows when his forwards have to pick and go, he knows when to chip kick, when to kick in the box. By varying his game, he can put some pressure on the Lions and try to force mistakes. His quick passing game gives more time to his backs and allows them to see where the Lions are vulnerable. This is the first part of the plan.
When the Lions are softened, let TJ come in. He is quick-minded and will bring to the halfback position what Beauden Barrett brings as a 10: flair. He attacks whatever opportunity he lays his eyes on. His inventive and explosive running game will shatter the opposition to pieces.

I personally prefer TJ, but I agree with Hansen for putting him on the bench. He is a necessary super-sub and will change the pace of the game in the blink of an eye.

The first thing I thought of when I saw the AB team for this weekend was that it seemed really conservative so I do agree with OP.

Players like Naholo/Lowe/D-Mac/Laumape/Perenara/Big Barret can probably all feel a bit aggrieved to not be in the running especially considering players like SBW/Dagg/A Smith haven't been spectacular in SR. Ioane as well is a bit of a surprise selection as he seems to have leapfrogged one or two guys as the only debutant.

That said:
- Hansen has earned the right to make his own decisions at this point.
- Is the Lions test really time to start making changing?
- The team seems set-up to specifically counter the Lions game plan.

I'm a bit disappointed as a neutral spectator, but this team should really do the job for the ABs.

Brilliant coaching from Hansen with Ioane scoring 2 tries on debut and SBW showing his test experience and amazing workrate.

SBW showing his test experience and amazing workrate.
yeah i kinda knew SBW would do this. its WC 2015 all over again
despite not really deserving his place (due to lack of game time) he goes and shows his worth by having an awesome game. has played 2 good games and might just be cementing his spot.

Latest posts