• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Does two Grand Slams in Ten years make this another Golden Decade for Wales ?

G

GimleyUK

Certainly more rewarding than the 90s and 80s.

Looks like there will be a large Welsh Contingent on the Lions tour.

World Class Players have emerged and keep emerging in the youth system.

Is this year going to be the year where Wales see Heineken cup success too ?

No. Munster are simply too good. You're right in that this generation has produced one of the best Welsh teams in many-a-year though. Hopefully we can keep on building to the world cup and put on a good show there.

No I wouldnt say so. Its good that we're competitive, as winning it now shows, but its certainly not a golden era.

HC is different. We've always had a welsh team in the quarters and semis but we just seem to choke near the finish. It feels like the day a welsh side wins the HC is getting closer, but with the likes of munster and toulouse as strong as they are it is difficult right now.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Apr 11 2009, 03:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Not if they dont consistantly win things![/b]
It would be interesting to way up how many top class players each country in the home nations has produced in ten years and compare.

Incredibly Talented players from Wales who started their Top Flight Careers since 2000.

Steven Jones
Jason Tovey
Jon Davies
Morgan Stodard
Richard Hibbard
Ryan Jones
Gavin Henson
Jonathan Thomas
Ian Evans
Leigh Halfpenny
Lee Byrne
Tom Shankln
Dwayne Peel
Mike Phillips
Gareth Cooper
Gavin Evans
Alun Wynn Jones
Jamie Roberts
Micheal Owen
Gethin Jenkins
Duncan Jones
Adam Jones

Golden era = beating the SH and teeing up for the RWC.

I was hoping for the first, but last Autumn was a big let down.

The second? In your dreams!

Cardiff have a good shot at the HEC. After that, Gatland has a lot of work to do. But Wales really don't have the players.

well, I went to my first rugby match in the early 90s, probs '92 or '93. From then until England won the RWC in 2003 I always had the impression that the Celtic sides were all rubbish in the same way that an England football fan would think they're rubbish. Yeah, we may have lost a few odd games to Wales/ Scotland/ Ireland but in general England, France and the SH teams and even Italy beat Wales on a regular.

But I have to admit, the 00s have been good for Wales. 2 Grand Slams, beating England 4 times out of 9, having what look like some solid club performances in the HC (Llanelli in the past, Cardiff now), I think Wales have got a lot to say for themselves as being a relatively successful rugby nation in recent years.

However, from what I've heard and seen of the side with Edwards, JPR and all the rest, that is a big mantle to live up to. Those guys in the 70's were the best Wales have ever had... like the England side under Woodward. They were a particularly special bunch who could beat anyone in the world. The current Wales side has occasionally threatened to beat the world's best but hasn't.

I hope I don't sound condescending, but Grand Slam winning sides only become great sides when they can beat allcomers. England won a Grand Slam in 2003 in the midst of a streak of matches that saw us hammer South Africa, beat NZ and Australia home and away, and then win a world cup. Even before that England could expect victories against anyone at Twickenham. That is a truly great side. The Welsh team of 2005 won a grand slam but never built on it. They won another in 2008 and have threatened to build on it...they've certainly sustained the moniker of 'good team' since winning it. But frankly, they've underachieved since and if you want to call any period a Golden Period for a country, then they have to consisteny sustain success for a few years at a time. You could say that it's a Golden Period for Irish rugby - they've had a great side for the last 5 years, beaten the likes of South Africa and Australia, and won a Grand Slam along with a few triple crowns.

Golden decade for wales??? Pfftt...

They always struggle against the Southern Hemisphere big 3.

The Big 2 you mean. We never seem to have a problem with Australia when our A-Game is out.

In the last 20 years, Australia and Wales have played each other 15 times and Wales have only brought out their A-Game twice, winning one of those games just recently last year. Too bad Wales rarely produce their A-game.

A vintage decade and you forgot a win and a draw against Australia in the same decade.

However, unless any NH side beats the SH at home and away I think it counts for naught.

Good decade for Welsh rugby but not the best by a long shot.

<strike>And we should have won the first warm-up game in summer 2007, but I'm not going there...</strike>

Ireland have been the big improvers overall. Apart from the RWC07 disapointment this decade would be one of their best.

What ever happened to Michael Owen? I remember he captained Wales and then he kind of fell out of favour.

Well he's at Saracens now and even though I haven't seen anything of him this season the move has apparently reinvigorated his career. The problem is he isn't strong enough to be a number 8. He possesses wonderful control and skill with the ball but has no drive which is essential really for a back-rower.
I think there's too many people ahead of him, and too many emerging now to force his way back into international reckoning.

I've seen him at Saracens and he's been great. I don't agree with him lacking power at number eight as he's linked up well with Bigus Wickus (our nickname for Wickus van Heerden or however its spelled) and has been a total pack horse throughout the season so far!

The 70's was the golden era for Wales. This side does not even come close, but is by far the closest to that Welsh XV back in the JPR and Edwards era. If i recall reading about those days, Edwards actually re-invented his position into the modern day style and that side was as good as they come. You don't have to win a RWC to be great.

The RWC only came in in 1987... but the mark of a truly exceptional side would be a team like England circa 2003 or the All Blacks in 1996. It just hit the right peak at the right time, and Wales have not done that yet.. they are good, and probably the best overall in the SH with consistency, but they cannot yet win back-to-back ***les. If they had won 3 in a row, or a threepeat, that would show for 3 seasons, they destroyed all comers, and that is what we are looking for.

Latest posts