• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Doing the Haka

errlloyd, you brought up a point which basically supports the reason why the Haka should not be stopped...the national anthems.....the national anthems can help a team get pumped up for the game as you said, so undoubtedly they give the teams an unfair advantage if another team doesn't get the same inspiration and adrenaline rush from it right? And while we are at it why don't we stop pre game warm ups, the other team may be warming up a bit harder then another giving them an unfair advantage. Why don't we tell crowds up north to stops singing etc. during the game, it gives thier teams an unfair advantage over the southern hemisphere as our crowds don't sing....let's demand a world wide salary cap so that players don't get pulled up north to play and let all development academies get the same funding around the world so that no one team gets an unfair advantage....

You can go on and on but the simple fact is if a team doesn't show up on the day, Haka or not, they are going to get beaten. If you honestly think the reason your team loses is because the All Blacks do the Haka, I suggest watching the Tri nations, the Saffas and Aussies beat the AB's year in year out, and they do no Haka...

And I'm Australian, not Kiwi.

Your taking a lot of what I say out of context, I cba quoting myself but things I said include.

"It gives you a little a boost"

"Don't get me wrong it's part of rugby now"

I don't think it wins the game for you and I don't think it should be stopped, but I also don't think it should be taken lightly. You earlier described it as a "dance" which indeed it is, but it helps.

Now what I am saying is that New Zealand (Tonga, Fiji and Somoa) get is "the floor" so they can do their dance. Now from that perspective it's something they get that we don't. From our point of view we have just sang our anthem and we want to start the game of rugby, but for some reason we have to watch them dance.

Home advantage <- everyone gets that at some point. In the Tri nations its balanced in the 6 Nations it's balanced over two seasons.

Salaries <- It's not unfair, anyone will get them if they are good enough (and play up north cough cough) I would remind you on that point, that Matt Giteau's move to Western Force is still a record Transfer fee for a rugby player. We aren't the only ones splashing cash around.

Singing Crowds <- I actually never realized your crowds don't sing, but thats not an unfair advantage, that's just an opportunity missed by your supporters. Actually I remember a very famous song once sung by an Aussie Crowd "Waltzing O Driscol".

Yes if a team shows up and plays **** regardless of haka they will lose. And you may argue that its not an unfair advantage because we could do one if we had one - which is fair enough. I assume we would be allowed.

In a way the Haka could be seen as a national anthem that has to be sung with passion, people can't really put a half assed effort into it, if seen like this its comparable to Italy or Frances anthems both of which are quite musical and dramatic.

^^^^^^

All that is over analysing, I am saying it for the sake of it, not that it makes much difference.

Alot of Springbok players say that facing the Haka is one of highlights of their careers.
Most probably because:
1) The AB always seem to put more effort into it when they facing the Boks (Wallabies included), in turn showing they have respect for them
2) They know they can stand up to the challenge the Haka represents

Latest posts