• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Drop Kicking

bigerler91

Academy Player
Country Flag
UK
Club or Nation
Sale
Hi guys, i've been playing for ages, since i was like 11, but i am fairly hopeless at drop kicks, although i'm a number 8, but i'm a member of probably one of the worst intrameural university teams EVER and i'm determined to put some points on the bored no matter what!!

So what i'm wondering is does anyone have some really good detail links or whatever to animations and such to help me.
Thanks guys

Hi guys, i've been playing for ages, since i was like 11, but i am fairly hopeless at drop kicks, although i'm a number 8, but i'm a member of probably one of the worst intrameural university teams EVER and i'm determined to put some points on the bored no matter what!!

So what i'm wondering is does anyone have some really good detail links or whatever to animations and such to help me.
Thanks guys

I'm sure Johnny Wilkinson must have a DVD or tutorial of some sort on goal kicking.

Wilkinson has recently made a video on youtube:

Although its not amazing it should give you the basics needed. Then its just down to you to practice. Hope it helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers mate, couldn't find that video on youtube, i know its vaguely ridiculous being a foward and wanting to kick but you know, we can all dream
See your pumped about Rugby 2012 too....cannot wait for that to be released

Cheers guys

As much as I hated seeing the word when looking up how to dropkick "Practise!" is key

Through a ton of practise I went from either missing it completely or having the ball dribble along the ground to actually connecting properly with it every time - just need to work on my accuracy now :p - There's no point kicking it 30m to have it go 30m in the wrong direction :lol:

If any forward is in a position to drop it would probably be a no.8

Last edited by a moderator:
As much as I hated seeing the word when looking up how to dropkick "Practise!" is key

Through a ton of practise I went from either missing it completely or having the ball dribble along the ground to actually connecting properly with it every time - just need to work on my accuracy now :p - There's no point kicking it 30m to have it go 30m in the wrong direction :lol:

Oh yeah definitely all about practice. The key is getting your muscle memory and feel to become 2nd nature so that when it comes to the game you can execute the drop goal easily. Sometimes even kicking without posts aiming for a tree or other object can be just as beneficial to work on your aim.

Hope its gets better Bigerler91 just stick at it!

For a backrow I spend an inordinate amount of time practicing kicking and dropkicking ...theres something satisfying about being a better place kicker than your outhalf...sadly will never be allowed to kick due to the number on my back :p

Latest posts