TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
Could this just be the beginning of the centralised contracts we have been dreaming of in South Africa?

https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SuperRugby/duane-to-return-to-sa-after-new-bok-deal-report-20180723

This comes after there were murmurs that the Bulls were after him, looking to sign him for the 2019. With this report it still seems to be the case, but that Duane will have a National contract and not a franchise contract.

I know that SARU did this in the past with Francois Hougaard, but that was due to him playing 7's rugby before he went abroad. And in Vermeulen's case, it is completely different in that he was abroad and they've now lured him back, and made him an offer which seems to be better than the one he got to play abroad in Japan...

Rassie was a fan of Irish model when he was here. I wonder is he getting his way on this one. SARU probably accept too it is a vital part of keeping top talent.

If he goes to the Stormers then they will have a seriously strong forwards pack.

Kitshoff, Wilco Louw and Malherbe as props
4.Etzebeth
5. Pieter Steph du Toit
6. Kolisi
7. Cobus Wiese (This guy is also really good)
8. Vermeulen

Carr and Augustus warming the Bench With guys like Schickerling

I cant see Vermeulen at the Bulls. He just does not fit in there.

If he goes to the Stormers then they will have a seriously strong forwards pack.

Kitshoff, Wilco Louw and Malherbe as props
4.Etzebeth
5. Pieter Steph du Toit
6. Kolisi
7. Cobus Wiese (This guy is also really good)
8. Vermeulen

Carr and Augustus warming the Bench With guys like Schickerling

I cant see Vermeulen at the Bulls. He just does not fit in there.

I can see him fit in at the Bulls quite nicely, especially since we don't have any experienced guys in the pack apart from Nyakane. Vermeulen would be a great asset to the Bulls pack, and guide the youngsters very well, and also combine with Van Zyl/Papier and Pollard, to get prepared for RWC 2019.

Also, would the Stormers want him? They have Carr, Kolisi, Wiese, Notshe and even PSDT who can all play no. 8.

Hopefully the start of a resurgence - both domestically (CC and SR) and internationally.

I can see him fit in at the Bulls quite nicely, especially since we don't have any experienced guys in the pack apart from Nyakane. Vermeulen would be a great asset to the Bulls pack, and guide the youngsters very well, and also combine with Van Zyl/Papier and Pollard, to get prepared for RWC 2019.

Also, would the Stormers want him? They have Carr, Kolisi, Wiese, Notshe and even PSDT who can all play no. 8.

Carr signed for Wasps though
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/44412205

Thanks for throwing a turd in the drinking water Tigs.

My point was more that the Bulls need an 8th man more than the Stormers. The Bulls only have Hanro Liebenberg who can play that position and he's not that good at it atm.

Sorry. :(

I really don't see why a Vermeulen couldn't fit for the Bulls either TBH, he's the type of 8 that should be able to fit into every team really.

Just an update on this matter: https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SuperRugby/bulls-beat-stormers-in-race-to-sign-vermeulen-20180813

Duane Vermeulen is likely to feature for the Bulls in next year's Super Rugby competition, a report indicates.

Vermeulen, 32, is currently in Japan where he plays for the Kubota Spears, but recent reportsindicated that the Bulls, Stormers and English club Bath were interested in his services after the conclusion of the Japanese Top League.

Netwerk24 reported on Sunday that the Bulls have won the race to secure Vermeulen's signature.

Could this just be the beginning of the centralised contracts we have been dreaming of in South Africa?

Are the SR (and P14) franchises owned by the SARU already?

Or is it a case of the SARU paying for the bigger names on the national squad directly to take some weight off the franchise wage capacity? [directly comparable to IRFU central contracting.]

Are the SR (and P14) franchises owned by the SARU already?

Or is it a case of the SARU paying for the bigger names on the national squad directly to take some weight off the franchise wage capacity? [directly comparable to IRFU central contracting.]

SARU doesn't own any of the franchises or unions in SA, but they do have shares in the companies that run them.

In the past few years SARU has been fitting the bill for some players like Francois Hougaard, Cornell Hendricks and now Vermeulen. It's basically trying to get a player with a Springbok Contract to return to SA and play more for the Springboks, and try to fit him in at a union/franchise.

All local players have contracts with their union/franchise. It's only players who gets called up to the Springboks who qualify for the additional contract, and SARU doesn't allocate it to everyone. They usually target the core group of around 15 - 20 players to have contracts. Players like Malcolm Marx, Eben Etzebeth, Beast Mtawarira, Handre Pollard and Jesse Kriel all have such contracts.

But with that said, SARU is looking to do away with these contracts, and rather do a pay-for-play compensation. Where players are paid a commission fee for playing a game. And what has been reported, shows that the players will get a lot more money than they are getting through the Salary they are currently getting from SARU.

Latest posts