Dubai Sevens

Seaton

First XV
Club or Nation
Sharks
Just started watching

Fiji beat Portugal 31-7

England won 24-12 against France

NZ are obviously favourites for the tourney, but the old guard of Samoa, Fiji, SA, England and Australia all have strong squads again
So, this is the first new season with 7s being a future Olympic sport.

Question: Will team GB see the same problems with a 7s squad as the football?

Last edited:
If you are looking for the worst ever defensive performance in the history of professional rugby, you neeed look no further than the 1st half of the Scotland vs. Australia game
Truly dire stuff

really? what was the score?

only game i've seen is Fiji vs France, Fiji won 35 - 5 or something like that, number 8 for fiji looks promising although he did screw up one try for fiji when the ball got knocked out of his hand over the try line, front row for fiji seems kinda small to previous years and compared to samoas huge front row, burotu was great as usual though

really? what was the score?

only game i've seen is Fiji vs France, Fiji won 35 - 5 or something like that, number 8 for fiji looks promising although he did screw up one try for fiji when the ball got knocked out of his hand over the try line, front row for fiji seems kinda small to previous years and compared to samoas huge front row, burotu was great as usual though

Australia scored something like 28, unanswered, points.
Scotland knocked-on (or just lost) EVERY single restart.
Even I could have caught some of those kicks, and I'm both a prop and not very good at catching to begin with
(Maybe thats why I'm a prop :p )

Question: Will team GB see the same problems with a 7s squad as the football?

Is there a problem when selecting the British Lions?

Although Ireland will not be in consideration, any players born in NI will be.

I think there is a problem that the English team cannot compete in the Olympics since the country England doesn't participate but they do as Great-Brittain.

Same in football. England can not qualify for the Olympics

When a team from the UK qualifies, it needs the consent of the other 3 to compete under the flag of the UK.

For instance:
The England -20 football team qualified for the Olympics in 2007 when they reached the semi-final of the European Championship. However, they did not get the consent of Wales, Scotland and Northern-Ireland (the FA's) to compete under the flag of the UK.

Last edited:
Indeed, but they seem to have side-stepped this, as the the Olympic Commitee said there will definitely be a team GB at the football side of things

Just realised this is on, shame that the only stream i've found is blurry and keeps stopping :(
Who's the fav for this tournament?

Just realised this is on, shame that the only stream i've found is blurry and keeps stopping :(
Who's the fav for this tournament?

New Zealand, but Samoa, Fiji, England and Australia could all take it. Biggest upset is Zimbabwe beat Argentina.

New Zealand, but Samoa, Fiji, England and Australia could all take it. Biggest upset is Zimbabwe beat Argentina.

Cheers couldn't find odds at the TAB, looking forward to the Fiji/England game coming up.

I think there is a problem that the English team cannot compete in the Olympics since the country England doesn't participate but they do as Great-Brittain.

Same in football. England can not qualify for the Olympics

When a team from the UK qualifies, it needs the consent of the other 3 to compete under the flag of the UK.

For instance:
The England -20 football team qualified for the Olympics in 2007 when they reached the semi-final of the European Championship. However, they did not get the consent of Wales, Scotland and Northern-Ireland (the FA's) to compete under the flag of the UK.

In Football, there will be a GB side although Wales, Scotland and NI have said they wont allow their players to play they will allow England to represent them!

In Rugby 7s as I have already said there will be no problem because they will unite as they do when they form under the British Lions.

Well Cymro, that is only because the 2012 Olympics will be held in London! They changed the ruling on this because of the Olympics being on their own turf. They are not yet sure if this will be a one-time exception or if it's a permanent change.

Well Cymro, that is only because the 2012 Olympics will be held in London! They changed the ruling on this because of the Olympics being on their own turf. They are not yet sure if this will be a one-time exception or if it's a permanent change.

True but its likely that this will happen to ensure that the other separate home nations keep their status.

I don't see why they participate in the Olympics under the flag of the UK anyway.

I don't see why they participate in the Olympics under the flag of the UK anyway.

It has a lot to do with history I suppose
It also benefits all parties, in that the English need our athletes, we need their money

What is the SA vs. Aus score btw, no telly access

Aargh, on phone so can't see how the pools have ended
I would greatly appreciate enlightment on this asseblief

Last edited:
Portugal did alright for themselves!

A:
Samoa,
Wales,
Kenya,
Arabian Gulf

B:
New Zealand
USA
Zimbabwe
Argentina

C:
Australia
South Africa
Scotland
Russia

D:
Fiji
England
Portugal (only behind England on points difference)
France

Couldn't copy it from the site, went all weird :S

Last edited:
Wales seem to have done really well, drawing with Samoa (I know how the Fijians feel) and beating Kenya. Bodes well. Knew it made sense to try and reassmble the World Cup winning side.

Latest posts