• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Dubai Sevens

G

getofmeland

<div align="center">Final Standings of the Pools
dubaipools.png

</div>

Got to watch some of these games as the dubai 7s is shown live in NZ for the first time! finally! Saw Tunisia upset Argentina which was pretty amazing and by looking at the results on a whole, the world series looks more exciting now that teams are running each other closer and the games are becoming more of a contest and upsets are almost the norm...as a NZ fan ill be goin for the blacks to win ofcourse, but as a rugby purist it would be good to see different/new teams win as it was gettin a bit boring after watching us winning 6 world series championships in a row.

Originally posted by IRBSevens

Top four seeds all make Dubai semis

The heavens have opened on the morning of the final day of the Emirates Airline Dubai Sevens to plunge into doubt the destiny of the first Cup trophy in the 2006/07 IRB Sevens World Series.

The Cup

The top four sides all won through to the semi finals here on day two. In the first quarter final Fiji proved far too strong for France, William Ryder scoring a hat trick as they ran out 46-7 winners to book yet another semi against New Zealand, who recovered from their loss to Samoa last night to outclass Canada 31-0.

In the second Cup semi final South Africa will face defending Dubai champions England. Paul Treu's side digging deep to grind out a 19-10 win over Samoa in driving rain before England came from behind to beat Australia 21-5, speedster David Strettle again among the tries.

Plate competition

France will play Samoa in the Plate final after they won respective semis against Canada and Australia. After a poor start to the tournament the other France showed up against Canada and duly won 36-0.

Samoa then came from behind to beat the impressive young Australian side amply led by Tim Atkinson, 12-5.

Bowl competition

Argentina will play Zimbabwe in the final of the Plate competition. Try scorer supreme Santiago Gomez Cora inspired the Pumas from the outset of the second day's play and scored twice in his side's 10-7 victory over Portugal in the semi final.

Zimbabwe continued their fine tournament by overpowering the impressive Tunisians in another all-African encounter, 17-10.

Shield competition

Wales beat Scotland 17-12 in sudden death extra time to make the final against the Arabian Gulf, who compounded Kenya's misery here in Dubai to win their first match for three years, 12-7, and book their final place

Looks like there is likely to be a good couple of semi finals and also a very Interesting final ahead of us...

<div align="center">Dubai Day 2 Fixtures and Results

Dubday2.png

South Africa Win Dubai Sevens

South Africa have won the Emirates Airline Dubai Sevens, beating New Zealand 31-12 in the final to take an early lead in the 2006/07 IRB Sevens World Series.

The Boks had playmaker and Player of the Tournament Stefan Basson, plus tireless forwards Jonny Mokwena and Schalk van der Merwe largely to thank as the came from 12-0 down at half time to score 31 unanswered points and take the ***le.

New Zealand started well and kept up a high intensity level for the first 10 minutes of a fine final in devilish conditions to lead 12-0 at the break following tries for Edwin Cocker and captain half back Nigel Hunt.

Demas had a golden opportunity to score on the stroke of half time but was unlucky to see his kick ahead stray wide. No matter, though, as Paul Treu's men responded to his every half time word of advice, Mdaka, Demas and Basson all going over for second half scores to leave spirited New Zealand grasping at shadows.

Gordon Tietjens' young New Zealand earlier side performed heroics to Fiji, Zar Lawrence and Nigel Hunt to the fore, while South Africa were clinical in dispatching England 17-0 to reach the final stage.

Samoa take Plate ***le

Samoa proved too strong for France in the final of the Plate, coming from behind after an early try by Bogdan Leonte to win 26-7.

Again, Samoa's captain Lolo Lui again proved the difference, inspiring the islanders in the absence of usual captain Uale Mai.

After a poor start to the tournament, France finally showed up against Canada and duly won 36-0 to reach the final, while Samoa had to come from behind to beat the impressive young Australian side amply led by Tim Atkinson, 12-5.

Bowl competition

Having recovered from a disappointing opening day, the Pumas of Argentina proved too strong for spirited Zimbabwe in the Bowl final, winning 26-7, even without injured flyer Santiago Gomez Cora, whose tries earlier here took him ahead of England's Ben Gollings to top the all-time IRB Sevens try-scoring charts with 147.

Gomez Cora had earlier inspired the Pumas, scoring twice in his side's 10-7 victory over Portugal in the semi final, while Zimbabwe had continued their fine tournament by overpowering the impressive Tunisians in another all-African encounter, 17-10.

Shield competition

Wales beat Arabian Gulf 33-0 to take the Shield ***le in Dubai. Never in trouble against the host nation, the Welsh will feel unfortunate not to have been contesting for higher honours after two wins on day one, but travel to South Africa with confidence restored.

Earlier Wales beat Scotland 17-12 in sudden death extra time to make the final against the Arabian Gulf, who compounded Kenya's misery here in Dubai to win their first match for three years, 12-7, and book their final place

</div><div align="center"> </div>

Damn it! NZ lost.. I was there, in a stand filled with bokies fan.. i gave up my seat in the VIP section to be with my love... who is a yarpie.. and was forced to support em through out the 7s... the final day was horribly fun and wet... i stayed for 16 hours of rain... the cool thing is, i'm not even sick!!! the mud.. oh damn the mud.. its a good thing i left the car at home... but hey, good game of rugby rules!!

fans gaspin' in the hot dry Dubai desert... :blink:
crowd4ka8.jpg

crowd2gj3.jpg

muddivetries
demastryyq8.jpg

hunttryai1.jpg

ABs brave captain Hunt
huntaftercj0.jpg

Demas the flyin' bok
demasafterim4.jpg

We won the shield again?
Hey, considering we've always been pretty **** at this we're not doing too badly.

Next step: Bowl competition! :rolleyes:

Its good to see more countries competing in it compared to previous years, I really enjoy watch Sevens as its quick attacking rugby and England are actually quite good at it... lol

yeah... england actually managed semifinal!!! wow...
yes.. we are dying in this hot desert!!! damn eh, it havent rained like that in 30 years!!!! and it happened during the 7s!!! damn it!! but who cares, we still partay!!!!! and some... ;)

We won the shield again?
Hey, considering we've always been pretty **** at this we're not doing too badly.

Next step: Bowl competition! :rolleyes:
[/b]

yeah.. playing against the Arabian Gulf at the Shield Final.. who'd lose?? only Kenya lost to Arabian Gulf, and I am shocked!!!

Great 2nd-half comeback by the Boks- I must say, this year`s series looks quite interesting- SA, England and Fiji seems to be right up there with NZ this year. Was particularly impressed with the NZ team- they featured a lot of new youngsters, and their contesting for the ball looks extremely impressive. For me, the star of the show was definately Jon Mokuena of SA with his tackling, contesting and winning of all-important kick-offs. The McCaw of 7`s in the making?

Yes Kabamba was awesome as we`ve come to expect of him in both 7`s and 15`s- but since he`s a 15-man Bok at present, and improving all the time in the 15-man code, I reckon that this might be the last year that we see his particular talents on the 7`s scene, what with the RWC next year. Would be a pity for the 7`s code but a huge boost for our 15-man code.

FOR SHAME! Scotland finished below zimbabwe. terrible result.

Oh well it seems as scotland rises in something they decline in the other.

Displaying some impressive rugby in 15s right now and i have high hopes for them.

COME ON SCOTLAND!!!!

Latest posts