1. 2016 RBS Six Nations Rugby Table - The Rugby Forum
    Table updated after last fixture of the weekend

Dublin and Rome - Sports Bars?

Discussion in '2017 RBS Six Nations' started by polonius, Jan 17, 2008.

1. polonius

polonius Guest

I shall be in both Dublin and Rome to see Scotland play away this year.

Shortly after the Ireland v Scotland game, the England v France fixture starts. Can anyone recommend a bar in Dublin where it will be shown?

Similarly, after the Italy v Scotland match the other games are to be played. Can anyone recommend anywhere in Rome, please?

I am a bit too long-in-the-tooth to be in one of those massed beer halls, standing up all the time, but any and all suggestions will be welcomed. Thank you in advance.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Prestwick

Prestwick Guest

If you google online or Italian Rugby Six Nations bars rome, you should be able to find the site some of the Italian members of this forum made with hints & tips of where the best bars were.

4. shazbooger

shazbooger Guest

In Dublin you wont really have too much of a problem. Once your out of the ground you'll be about 15-20 minute walk from the city centre. Just follow the crowd as it disperses you'll have access to pretty much every bar in Dublin. Should be early so comfort shouldnt be a problem.

I'd strongly advise against drinking on the North Side of the Liffey. But if you have to, get as close to the Liffey as you can to allow for a quick escape. ;)

5. polonius

polonius Guest

Many thanks for your advice. To help me with my bearings, is Croke Park north or south of the Liffey?

6. danit

danit Guest

polonius, in Rome I can reccomend

Druids Rock, Piazza Esquilino, shows rugby games through BBC - BSkyB, outstanding atmosphere during 6N
    Scholars Lounge, via del Plebiscito (close to piazza Venezia), they have UK channels too
    Camden Town, via Ostilia (about 100 mt from Colosseo)

hope it helps

7. shazbooger

shazbooger Guest

Croke park is on the North Side. I'm only taking the **** with regards to drinking over there. Its still a shock for the upper class of Dublin to actually cross the river to see a rugby game. I remember when the guide below was published. Great fun to read.

http://www.rossocarrollkelly.ie/Interview_...ark_022007.aspx

8. dundeesmiffy

dundeesmiffy Guest

from my experience;
    if you're in Ireland during a 6N weekend, and you can't find a pub to watch rugby in, you're not in Ireland/blind.

9. stevemagoo

stevemagoo Guest

HaHa!! I love the Northside banter - As long as you get your passport stamped, you can come over.

You can get a good stamping service at the 5 lamps!!

I live about 5 min walk from Croker (one street away from getting free tickets - d'oh!!)...If you want a close pub that will be showing the game and has a good atmos....go for Fagans on Drumcondra road. A big GAA pub, i would agree, but i've been there for countless matches and there is always a big crowd glued to the weekends games.

10. polonius

polonius Guest

Many thanks to all those who have responded - much appreciated.

I shall be in Dublin with my brother - who is tee total. A bit like going to Bangkok with a nun, I know, but at least he will see me back to the hotel.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!