• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Dylan Hartley to become England captain

Saint4805

Academy Player
Country Flag
Scotland
Club or Nation
Glasgow
Is this a massive error of judgement from Eddie Jones given his temperament and disciplinary problems?

I think it will be short term until Maro Itoje is ready . Hartley is very experienced and a bit gritty . He's rarely had indiscretions at international level either

Is Hartley even a nailed on starter for Saints?

He's got concussion at the moment but when he comes back I would be surprised if he wasn't the starter . Saints have really missed a bit of edge since Hartley and Manoa haven't been playing

Is this a massive error of judgement from Eddie Jones given his temperament and disciplinary problems?

Should he become England captain it will either help him control his temper or give opposition an easy wind up target, interesting appointment should it be confirmed. I think it was a mistake to leave him out of the WC squad.

Why do people think Itojie will be ready to captain England in less than 2 years.

Great player but he hasn't looked anywhere near the captain part for sarries yet.

Why do people think Itojie will be ready to captain England in less than 2 years.

Great player but he hasn't looked anywhere near the captain part for sarries yet.

And it's going to be a hugely contested position with Haskell, Clifford, ewers, robshaw just to name a few who are aiming for that 6 shirt.

I think it will be short term until Maro Itoje is ready . Hartley is very experienced and a bit gritty . He's rarely had indiscretions at international level either

He is a piece of work we would like to distance the fact he is a NZ'er every time he played against our favourite son Ritchie , Dylan couldn't help himself with a gutless elbow or knee. England need to get a captain who leads by example not foul play, that person I'm not sure; is Easter available ?

He is a piece of work we would like to distance the fact he is a NZ'er every time he played against our favourite son Ritchie , Dylan couldn't help himself with a gutless elbow or knee. England need to get a captain who leads by example not foul play, that person I'm not sure; is Easter available ?

Easter is 90 years old, and would be lucky to be a squad member.

That said - picking wholes in candidates is much easier than finding a good one. I'm sticking with Launchberry - young enough to hit his prime come the next RWC, and is good enough to not miss out on selection (in arguably England's most competitive position). For me it is really a matter of:

A. Picking a guy who is guaranteed a start.
B. Doesn't have massive character flaws
C. Ideally in the pack.

That's it for me. You go looking for 'leaders' and you can end up selecting them for a long time over better players. Hartley would be fine for me if:

A. I didn't prefer Youngs as a player. I think new coaches will improved Youngs setpiece.
B. Hartley wasn't a total goon.

Both of which are true to me.

Last edited:
That's it for me. You go looking for 'leaders' and you can end up selecting them for a long time over better players. Hartley would be fine for me if:

A. I didn't prefer Youngs as a player. I think new coaches will improved Youngs setpiece.

Jamie George looks like the perfect combination of both's strengths; it's arguable whether Hartley belongs in the 23.

Why are we trying so desperately to find a long term captain when we obviously don't have one yet?

Let's take it one campaign at a time, picking the captain as we go along it really isn't that important.

Having a long term captain is fine if you have a Ritchie or a BOD but inevitably players will lose form or others will come along and offer something different to suit a certain situation. Lets not tie our hands behind our back again with player you can never drop. We don't have any players that are undroppable let's stop pretending we have a Martin Johnson or a Will Carling just waiting to get selected because we don't.

Last edited:
But then why are people wanting to the captain to not be the form player in that position?

It's like Robshaw all over.

But then why are people wanting to the captain to not be the form player in that position?

It's like Robshaw all over.

Fine, pick the captain after a few weeks into the training camp. Wait to see who stands out and who is in form. It really doesn't make a great deal of difference who the captain is anyway.

I must admit I'm hazy on this one but I thought Carling kept players out due to his leadership qualities even after being sacked.

Latest posts