• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

E3 2008

Z

Zonerunner

Well, E3 officially starts tommorow, but Microsoft have just wrapped up their pre-E3 briefing. This is a synopsis of pretty much everything as it happened.
  • Fallout 3 DLC exclusive to 360/PC
    No futuristic horse armour for PS3 owners.
  • Resident Evil 5 simultaneous worldwide launch Friday 13th March 2009
    12th March in Japan. Maybe theyre superstitious.
  • Fable 2 is now "finished"; out in October
    Well, October fills in the Autumn placeholder that was expected.
  • Gears of War 2 due 7th November 2008; new 5 player co-op mode "Horde"
    In "Horde", you and your mates work together against ever increasing waves of Locusts.
  • New avatar system for 360 to go alongside gamercards
    Think Mii meets Playmobil. Seems to come along with a new interface for the Dashboard in the process. Of course, this is one of Microsoft's worst kept secrets...
  • Geometry Wars 2 for XBLA "next month"
    The achievement list was actually leaked a few days ago, so we kinda knew about it...
  • Portal 2: Still Alive a 360 exclusive
    Spoiler! GLaDOS is back. Naturally. Seems to be a XBLA ***le coming this Autumn. So much for not milking the franchise like they claimed mind.
  • Banjo-Kazooie game on XBLA
    Not clear whether its just the first N64 adventure or both.
  • Scene It? Box Office Smash!
    DLC and regional questions included; Krome Studios to develop. Oh well, not like the franchise was good to begin with.
  • You're In The Movies!
    By Codemasters and Zoe Mode (who made the excellent Crush on PSP). Some sort of EyeToy Play esque minigame compilation with you in intentionally bad b-movie vignettes. I'm sure its going to be brilliant.
  • Lips
    Again, one of Microsoft's long known not-well-kept secrets. Think Singstar but with a shitty name. At least its being made by iNiS, who did the wonderful Ouendan series on DS (first one localised controversially as Elite Beat Agents).
  • Square Enix blow-out
    Microsoft's paying the big bucks. Infinite Undiscovery reconfirmed for release on 2nd September (US), 5th September (Europe) and 11th September (Japan). Star Ocean 4 due Spring 2009. The Last Remnant due on 360 first "this holiday season", with a PC version confirmed. Aaaaaand... Final Fantasy XIII available in Europe and America on 360 at the same time as the PS3 version. Just need to get Metal Gear now.
Aaaand thats your lot. I may have missed a few things here and there, which im sure you will all point out to me in due course. I think thats the significant lot though.

I'll bring the news from Sony's and Nintendo's briefings tommorow, as well as any interesting news from E3 itself (so that'll be one big love letter about Mega Man 9 being on XBLA then). See you soon!

I lost interest in this crap ever since Valve revealed they won't be showing Episode 3. <_<

Nintendo better announce Zelda Wii, otherwise I've lost all faith in them.

I fail.

Microsoft also confirmed Galaga Legions (from the same team as Pac-Man Championship Edition) for next month and a new South Park Live Arcade game is in development.

I'll try and not to forget anything from now on.

WOAH, FFXIII on 360? That's one hell of a story, I didn't see that coming!

Wow, the GeoW2 trailer was awesome. Shame the actual game will be a pile of toss like the first one was.

Go to Bungie.net. It got messages saying 'Service will resume momentarily' 'expect delays' 'services will resume' etc.

There is also a countdown on the bottom right corner.

Will we see Halo 4 @ e3?

ign.com have a live feed for all the big conferences etc.

I saw most of the microsoft one it was pretty dull until square enix guy showed off some stuff. the microsoft 360 guy was doing his closing speech and then the square enix guy comes back on the stage and says he has one more announcement and then the final fantasy XIII trailer played and the crowd went absolutely nuts at the end of it. was by far the biggest applause of the whole media briefing I think it is called.

e3 isn't what it used to be but I think there could still be the odd surprise like the final fantasy XIII announcement. some of the big companies like blizzard don't go to e3 but have their own events just next to where e3 is held or at another time during the year.

nobody knows exactly what nintendo will show at e3. some stuff has been revealed but it seems they still have some stuff up their sleeve that they haven't told anyone about.

EA's decided to announce a bunch of its games on show at E3 ahead of it officially opening. Nothing unexpected. You got your Dragon Age, Spore, a new Sims game, EA Sports ***les and id Software's Rage...

...wait, what?

Apparently EA is publishing Rage, the new game from the house of Doom and Quake. This came as a rather large surprise as Activision has performed publishing duties on id's games for so long, I honestly thought Activision owned id. Evidentally Activision has done something to **** off id. Maybe the merger? Maybe the shitty ports of Enemy Territory? Who knows. Well, id know, but they arent saying anything. I wonder who will publish Doom IV?

Also, BioWare confirmed that Dragon Age will appear on consoles "in some form or another". But after EA bought them out, that was about as predictable as who would win a fight between a liquor drenched hobo and a flamethrower. Just the other day they announced Dragon Age: Origins would be a PC exclusive. Sudden change of mind or spin-off ***le? With EA, probably both!

EA also announced Nucleus, a multi-platform "social gaming" platform for all its EA games. It will apparently track gamer preferences, scores and relationships, allowing you to set challenges for your friends regardless of platform. Spore, EA Sports ***les and Battlefield Heroes will have this system, with 25 games expected by the end of 2009. 25? Isnt that all of their annual sports ***les?

Whew. More as it develops.

Zonerunner, did EA show any more gameplay videos of Spore during their conference? Can you post the links here if they did?

Zonerunner, did EA show any more gameplay videos of Spore during their conference? Can you post the links here if they did?[/b]
I havent seen any videos of the event, which leads me to suspect it was more a briefing than a conference - just people talking. However, its a confirmed ***le for their E3 presence, so id expect some new footage from the game as early as later today when E3 finally officially opens. If I see anything, ill post it.

yeah EA publishing Rage from ID software was big shock must be bad blood with activision over something

Nintendo's conference is tonight, no? They better announce some decent games or my Wii will be in the trash.

Anyone curious what the new 360 dashboard and avatars will look like, Microsoft released a trailer:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/H59WNr1Lpdg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/H59WNr1Lpdg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

It's also available on the Marketplace now if you prefer non-youtube quality. Personally think it looks a bit ****, but there you go.

They've also confirmed you'll be able to install games to your hard drive if disc-spinning really irritates you that much and that there'll be an Xbox Live Party system which allows up to 8 people to speak in one large group chat and jump into the same game with each other. Pictures of the community games and the new Xbox Live Dashboard may be found hither.

Square Enix held a press briefing after the Microsoft one ended to explain the exclusivity thing. "We considered the hardware situation, and would like to provide Final Fantasy XIII to as many fans as possible throughout the world. It was because of the spread of the hardware." Final Fantasy XIII remains PS3 exclusive in Japan, as does Final Fantasy Versus XIII (which recently got indefinately delayed). A PC version may also appear down the line. They're working on finishing the Japanese PS3 version first then porting it to the 360 while theyre localising it. Both versions will launch in Europe and America at the same time, though the European versions may arrive later than the American versions, in typical Square Enix fashion. They promised a speedy localisation for Europe, but we've heard that line before...

Nintendo's and Sony's E3 conferences are tonight. Nintendo's starts at 5pm GMT and Sony's starts at 7.30pm. I shall bring coverage of anything headline worthy as soon as the respective conferences have ended.

Ah, brilliant. Anyone hoping for a futuristic Zelda game? I'll buy the new game regardless of setting and theme, but the old setting is getting... old now and they need to try something new for the sake of the series' future.

Latest posts