• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

E3 debrief

Alright...long time reader not a poster.

I'm bored of reading the same rubbish over and over here, people need to wake up to some hard realities.

EA isnt backing this game because they dont think it will make enough money. Rugby is absolutely tiny in comparison with football, NFL etc and short of every single rugby fan in the world buying this game its not a high profit venture.

I'm delighted HB are making a new game, I'll take anything I can get. But expectations need to be lowered here, they are a small team, on a smaller budget than before, and everyone seems to be expecting a fifa/madden sized delivery. Its not gonna happen.

What will hopefully happen is they deliver us a fun game that will be an advancement on rugby 08. The fact its only international teams is sad and a product of the lower cash available that they couldnt get licenses/time to build in all the club teams.

Sorry to burst your bubble kids, but if expectations dont come down you're gonna be disappointed! I believe they are doing the best with the crappy deck of cards they are being dealt but HB arent miracle workers.

Now..you throw rugby challenge into the mix. This is bad news for both developers, anyone saying otherwise in either camp is just being PR savvy. You had a small pool of buyers next to a footie/nfl game, but you had them to yourself at least. Now there are 2 products competing for a niche market both will make less money. Not to mention there is now a split in licenses etc a la Fifa V PES and the whole thing will become a mess as the rights are mixed between the two.

Its not viable for the number of buyers of a rugby game to keep two series' of rugby games afloat, nothing would make me happier than to see an annual/bi-annual rugby game but the sums just dont add up on it as being profitable.

So we'll get these two, and god only knows when we get the next one.

It sucks but its the way it is, the trials of being a rugby fan.

So suck it up, be glad you're getting these two and hope to god at least one of them gives us a fun representation of our sport.

IRB released info on rugbys worldwide popularity, try and find it if you can... nuff said. 3rd largest sport worldwide... again nuff said.

It might be 2nd largest overall actually??? Anyone know which is which?

sorry to post again but America is loving rugby at the minute, push the games in their direction and large markets like france and england because France nearly rivals football for popularity at the moment. Get on it like a car bonnit is all I say to both Sidhe and HB!

Last edited by a moderator:
IRB released info on rugbys worldwide popularity, try and find it if you can... nuff said. 3rd largest sport worldwide... again nuff said.

Dude..you need a reality check I'm afraid.

I love rugby, but when I started travelling I realised just how small it is on a global scale.

Even in the 'big' rugby nations..its 4th biggest sport in Ireland, between 2nd and 4th in UK depending on how you rank (flips with cricket and tennis), its the 9th largest sport in France, the 6th most popular sport in Australia.

This is why the IRB needs to wake the hell up to the very real opportunities to grow the game, there is definitely room for it to grow if they stop being a closed shop for the 6N/Tri nations, allowing Argies into Tri-nations is a great step, establishing a 2nd division 6 nations with promotion/relegation would be another. That would make wooden spoon battles a hell of a lot more interesting!

But bringing it back to computer games, its a business first and foremost and you dont get as big a bang for the buck for rugby so you dont get as many rugby games.

HB & sidhe can do precisely f all to change that, their computer games wont broaden rugby's borders, thats the IRB's territory.

Though that said I do know some american friends that got into footie through playing fifa first, but its a long shot for rugby when the americans have madden!

Last edited:
You'll find its the 5th most popular team sport in the world!

Football in Ireland is joke, pulling age old stats out of your ***. My mate living in Dublin says RUgby and Gallic is the two main, regardless of the media. I have travelled well mate, acutually helping to spread rugby by teaching in schools around asia... don't patronise me, especially on a games forum. Shows what a joke you are if you carry on. :)

You'll find its the 5th most popular team sport in the world!

Cheers Wagner... still worth the effort tho :p

No mention of America, which is another one that has massive support around colleges... they love it! lol I can't remember much from my trips round California though :p They got that side of the game down!

umm i'll stop now lol... i see your point jovial but this is why we need to push this sport, I've seen it do more for cities, counties and countries than any other sport I've seen. Football, for example, creates a rivalry system that really makes me sick. Especially when stabbings start happening amongst fans.

Football in Ireland is joke, pulling age old stats out of your ***. My mate living in Dublin says RUgby and Gallic is the two main, regardless of the media. I have travelled well mate, acutually helping to spread rugby by teaching in schools around asia... don't patronise me, especially on a games forum. Shows what a joke you are if you carry on. :)

Soccer has a far larger number of players than rugby does in wexford.

Relax your slacks champ, we're just talking.

As for Ireland:
"Football is the biggest participation and most popular team sport in Ireland, according to the ESRI, with an estimated 450,000 people actively involved on a regular basis. "
http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1365&Itemid=9
Your mate in dublin is wrong, sorry!

I'd love it to be the other way round but its GAA (hurling+gaelic football combined), then football, then rugby popularity wise.

Sports in France:
". It is the ninth largest French team sport in the terms of licensed players with 262,000 licensed players (2007)."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport_in_France
Sports in Australia:
"According to this site, the most popular sports in Australia by attendance are:
  • Australian Rules football (AFL), with an attendance rate of 16%
  • Horse-racing (13%)
  • Rugby league (9%)
  • Motor sports (9%)
  • Cricket (5%)
  • Rugby Union (4%)
  • Soccer (4%)
Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_most_popular_sports_in_Australia#ixzz1PSPl4IkO

And I was saying I didnt realise how small rugby was in the likes of france, australia and the UK until I went there, rather than implying that a wasps fan wouldnt know much about life beyond the M40.

U didnt just go there! lol Wasps have beaten Munster on numerous occasions :)

Rugby is an odd one in France. More people DO play football by miles, but spectators for rugbys is sky rocketing. Makes the Aviva and Rabodirect Pro12 (haha) look like amatuer leagues. Similar situation in Ireland. Irish football gets the crowds through the door doesn't it ;-) watching the nations league was embarassing!

I'm not starting with Australia, It's good that Melbourne has joined the race, that will help over the course of 10 years.. so I'll get back to you on that!

fyi I'm a travelling man, I love wasps rugby but I rarely am in London or even UK :p Shocking last 2 seasons I have to admit!

Because it clutters up the forum and I'm fairly sure that double/triple/quadruple posting is against the forum rules

It can be classed as post boosting which is not welcomed on the forums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts