• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

EA Rugby 2008 Discussion Thread

OOOHHH Yeah im Buzzing now too, there is a GOD, now I think all those emails I sent them were worth it. :) :) :) :)

PS2??? ah man that sucks. 360 version will be brought down by the lowest common denominator factor.

No way they'd have the resources to build an advanced 360 version... as long as the gameplay is there. Oh and Berrick Barnes.

What I'd like to see in Rugby 08:

Improved AI, no more gaps between the centres

Grubber kick being less effective

Better rucking system

Way of making the game harder(by harder I don't mean the opposition turning over almost every ruck, I mean in terms of breaking down the defence, etc)

Online Play

Better Editor mode(think Pro Evo)

More licenses (although this would be nice would not really make much of a difference to me)

Better season/story/franchise mode

More weapons and better cheerleader graphics, and a cup holder...
give me that.

oh, and give me an xbox 360.

online play would simply be awesome

as others have said better franchise/season mode. would really add to the longevity of the game.

air nz cup and currie cup would be nice but I would settle for a fully licensed super 14 ,tri-nations and a couple of comps up in the norh fully licnesed. this has always been a bit of a downside to the ea series having bascially one hemisphere licenesed but not the other.

rucking system still messy could defintely be improved on.

general improvement over eveyrthing like passing tackling lineouts etc. not bad in 06 but I am sure it could still be improved.

decent ai that doesn't cheat on higher difficulty and actually plays better.

I think that is it for now.

Something just occurred to me. Gay-Guy who is off destroying his TRF nickname with his woman, is going to come back online to one heck of a shock.

Last time he was on he wasn't thinking of a rugby game coming out this year or for next gen. He was thinking (much like some of the rest of us) that maybe EA had dropped Rugby from it's range!

He'll be an even happier not-so-gay man!!!

I don't think they realize how much potential a great rugby game can have on the expansion of our great game. I mean outside of US before Madden came out no one really gave a toss about American Football, but now I think NFL owes a lot of it's international fan base to the Madden series. So if they could make a game that is somewhere near the stature of Madden we could finally break into the U.S. market and make this the biggest and best Sports video game in the world.

i said this last yaer when 06 was on the way..if any of guys have played fifa then you will know that they have every leauge possible plus lower divisions! how hard is it for ea to chuck in the air nz cup currie cup celtic leauge etc!? they already have NZRU licence to begin with.

Thats not exactly true they have all matches covered by SANZAR. Not the NPC or Currie Cup.

The one thing i hate about 06 is the rucking system!! It f#@ks me off so much, i end up switching it off. That definately needs to be fixed. Need to be able to compete for it, not just guess when the computers gonna give or take away the pill. Another big one they need to have is player momentum. Dont know how they are gonna do it, but they need to do it....................

The one thing i hate about 06 is the rucking system!! It f#@ks me off so much, i end up switching it off. That definately needs to be fixed. Need to be able to compete for it, not just guess when the computers gonna give or take away the pill. Another big one they need to have is player momentum. Dont know how they are gonna do it, but they need to do it....................
[/b]

YES YES YES

THE RUCKS IN EA'S RUGBY HAVE ALWAYS BEEN **** EXCEPT 2001 - that was a good system with the quick 3 man turnover - the more men in, the more u had to push over

This semi-manual rucking thing is tripe

Isolation Lottery - thats all it is

That bar above the rucks - still i never look at them - they mean ****

Agreed to a point. You should have to work a little harder than your opposition if you are more isolated. That just stands to reason.

More people in the ruck, more chance of ball (or the better the players in the ruck).

My two cents on what is needed for the next game:

- players move more realistically (so many times you can bust through one player in the defensive line only to have two other players tackle you at the same time because they can all turn instantly on the spot and tackle you).
- defending team doesn't run around in a little swarm chasing you around the park.
- defensive lines act like defensive lines and don't just run around willy-nilly.
- side-step shouldn't be a "special move" but should happen naturally as you guide the player around.
- grubber kicks and bombs should be able to be performed without holding the button down for 2 seconds
- same for miss passes.
- dive tackle should be eradicated, as no-one can accelerate themselves forward that fast by diving.
- need a new control system for rucking.
- set plays should not be just a case of choosing a receiver, it should simply choose the running lines of 12, 13, 14, 15 (for example) and you act as 10 to give the ball at the right time.
- set play selection should not be mapped to the same buttons as moving players, pushing mauls etc.
- mauls need to have a better control system, rather than just push a button and you get 5m automatically
- should be able to choose defensive tactics like rush, drift, etc.
- when defending there should be a button to allow you to move a player sideways/baclwards and remain facing the ball-carrier.

I imagine that precisely none of these changes will be implemented. Rugby 08 will be the same as Rugby 06 which was the same as Rugby 05, in the same way Cricket 07 is the same as Cricket 05.

Please make me a liar, HB Studios.

I'll tell you what really gets on my nerves in Rugby 06.

When you make a break and end up being tackled about 10/20 metres away from the line, you ALWAYS end up giving a turnover. Grrrrrr :(

I'll tell you what really gets on my nerves in Rugby 06.

When you make a break and end up being tackled about 10/20 metres away from the line, you ALWAYS end up giving a turnover. Grrrrrr :(
[/b]

I think thats generally because your more often than not isolated though. They should bring back the holding onto the ball option ( they removed that in 06 didnt they ? I cant seem to get it to work ). The grubber needs to be less efective on the wingers fullback.

Also with regards to difficulty the defense needs to improve on higher levels rather than make the AI much harder to turn over and make it very difficult to keep hold of the ball.

I would much rather see forwards busting through a tackle and have to chase them down to make it harder than the old " make the rucking harder " trick.

Also they need to tweak the general control a bit, the side steps were not all that useful due to the fact you could just change direction so sharply.

I just hoped they have worked on the right things.

Live on 360 would just be a marriage wrecker. :D

My two cents on what is needed for the next game:

- - when defending there should be a button to allow you to move a player sideways/baclwards and remain facing the ball-carrier.

[/b]

You know what? That's a simple, but fantastic idea. Defending rugby players DO move sideways to track the ball carrier, rather than change direction and run.

Come on HB, let's see this implemented.

On another note, we still dont have anywhere near the freedom of movement as in JLR. That would be awesome. I always think with the right control method you should be able to beat players with just movement and pace.

With a fast back and a light push of the analog to create a jogging movement, a sudden turn of pace and direction change should see you be able to skirt around some of the bigger slower forwards.

Latest posts