EA Sports > you

Discussion in 'General Gaming Chat' started by Ripper, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Ripper

Ripper Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
    I'll give someone 20 Virtual Dollars if they read all that.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. kaftka

kaftka Guest

It's only human nature to back the little guy.

...And to skip 90% of electronic novels.

4. <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
    Which PR department did you get this quote from??!??

5. woosaah

woosaah Guest

who has balls?

6. lazy_chesnut

lazy_chesnut Guest

You owe me 20 Virtual Dollars or I'll give you a virtual smack around the head with this baguette.

Anyway, I think that article is, for the most part, totally and utterly incorrect.

EA doesn't knock out the worse competitors and make games better and better. Not in any way. They knock out smaller competitors, not worse ones. They do this with massive marketing campaigns and release games which are great for the marketing people, as they lok wonderful, but play like absolute shite.

Once the competitor has been closed down or bought out (probably by EA), they then seem to churn out the same old crap as before. I can't see how that is competition.

If you have enough money to market the games to every soul on the planet, yoi're bound to get more sales.

Also, I think EA should be restricted (especially in EA Sports titles) in the number of EA Sports logos which are evident in the game. In one 20 minute Rugby 2005 match, along with the loading screens etc. I wouldn't be surprised if anyone counted 50 to 80 logos appearing.

Other people have been stopped from doing such things and I don't see how the gaming industry should be any different.

The day EA goes bust (if ever) will be one I shall celebrate.

7. USArugger

USArugger Guest

I have never played any other Rugby series, so I can't say on that. Tiger Woods is cool, and NCAA football is the best game I have. Others, like Hockey, are decent.

That being said, they really suck at NASCAR games. I played the crap out of the Papyrus/Sierra NASCAR series on the PC. THen EA bought the rights for NASCAR and the best racing series ever is dead. Papyrus had all kinds of cool features. You could paint your own cars (with any sponsor you wanted so I had an Adidas All Blacks #14 car and a Kooga USA Eagles #8) on external graphics programs and then import them, the driving physics were awesome, and you could also download cars that other people had created. EA came along, created a monopoly, and ruined the game... I play it, but it is not the same.

I don't like exclusive rights, but it is all about the money. Who wants to play a rugby game where you can't play the All Blacks or the Springboks? Who wants to play a football game if you are going against #37 RB instead of Shaun Alexander? The titles still get better every year, but they don't worry about getting the best product out, they only have to worry about making a few upgrades. What would be so hard about create a team on Rugby? Design the kit , the Stadium, etc... It should be easy...

So we end up playing against the All Blacks and doing Super 12, lions, etc... but we don't get any of the other features that other games have because there is no big-time competition. If Bill Gates came out with a knockdown dragout completely amazing rugby game for X-box 360 EA would have to improve or risk losing profit.

8. ak47

ak47 Guest

Competition brings quality, assurance, and competitive markets

Thats why you cant monopolize markets - See Microsoft

Which is why EA need to be taken to court

Sure they are legally buying out little guys
    But the consequence of this is a less competitive market.
    Means they can go at their own pace, and us public have no choice but to watch and yell.

Perfect example is cricket
    EA cricket hasnt changed since 2003...prolly got worse
    Then RPIC/BLIC arrived, and smashed it, sales wise
    Now u watch the bar lifted from EA on EAcricket 2007

and we have already seen a decline in the upgrades of madden,
    they bought the exclusive rights and made 2k sports NFL ESPN project extinct.
    now madden 2006 is a roster upgrade...not much more
    would have been very different if ESPN 2ksports were still around.

We need konami sports to enter the ring....we need 2ky sports to merge with konami, and then we'll be blessed.

9. Ripper

Ripper Guest

ESPN is with EA now...

10. i think that player and team lisencing should be banned in terms of games. i think if all games were lisenced, then there would be alot more competion. although i can say that you should still pay to get a team/players lisence, i dont think you should be able to own them like ea has with the southern hemisphere

[​IMG]

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!